Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Suspicious Lump posted:

Also, how can you not know where the black bears came from when you know the girl has toy powers.

'cause of the second part of the power that makes everyone forget about the victims. As far as the heroes 'know', they're everyone who came on the mission and these toys appeared from nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Spanish Matlock posted:

You could logically deduce that they were friends who had come with you that you had now forgotten

This would rely on the Tontatta not being idiots :)

Also this weeks shocking twist confirmed my suspicions The Unknown Gladiator is Rebecca's Dad and was turned into the Toy Soldier. TBH they did do a nice job of seeding the individual clues quite far apart this time.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Yeah but Pirates are stupid. If they were at all smart they'd all team up with the Straw Hats etc. and steal Doffy's money afterwards.

Still was amusing to have Usopp be 5 stars because he pissed off Donflamingo the most that day :)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

:goonsay: Blackbeard has the power of darkness, not gravity. Still leaves the gravity fruit for Fujitora.

iirc it's implied that a combination of the darkness fruit and a unique body structure allows Blackbeard to absorb the shockwave power from Whitebeard, this is why he wanted the fruit. Unknown so far if he can absorb more powers though.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Blackbeard did his research beforehand, he knew the darkness fruit would make him more vulnerable to punches etc. so he trained his body to be hella resilient before he got the fruit. Even before he stole it and betrayed the Whitebeard pirates he was one of their highest ranked guys and in line to become a captain. There's a good chance he'll learn armament haki at some point for extra protection.

I suspect it's his weird body/special training which allows him to multifruit, the darkness power just let him absorb Whitebeard's fruit without waiting for it to respawn (which has been shown to be an inconsistent time).

I doubt the Chimera fruit theory, iirc most Zoan types tend to switch to their combat form for fighting and have some hints to the animal in their character design.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Crazyeyes posted:

Probably only in silhouette. Need to really milk that reveal.

Nah, he's in the next episode preview. Apparently he's a sorcerer or something.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I never said he wasn't a samurai. Just that he was a sorcerer.

He's a samurai who practices sorcery. He's multiclassed. People in One Piece can be multiple things!

---

EDIT: Kanjuro's sorcery is the best thing :D. Too bad he sucks at art!

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 3, 2015

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Crazyeyes posted:

Good lord. Franky and Senor have been fighting for like 100 episodes. It's not even a very interesting battle and a gimmick at best.

30-odd, that fight started in ep 666 :devil: - it only feels longer because it keeps cutting away to other plot points.

But yeah, the pacing on the current arc is odd, there are too many threads ongoing so it keeps skipping around and taking forever to resolve anything. Stuff which should be handled quickly gets stretched out in order to end at the same point as longer parts.

I keep thinking I want to know what's going on with Sanji and pals back on the Sunny but then I realise it'd probably add another 10 or so episodes of little happening.

Likewise the fight against the nutcrackers feels like pointless padding, just get on with the cool fights already.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

If that's the case it's pretty terrifying as it means Luffy and co have been punching holes through people...

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Yup, confirmed that the Headcrackers (the big Nutcracker style toys) are people. It seems as though each one is comprised of several people fused together, if the scene with Sugar and the mooks if anything is to go by.

Usopp getting another chance to be a badass sniper is good. Hopefully they don't just turn it into a joke.

Also lol @ animation errors Law lamenting that he's still shackled while staring at his wrists, which are bound behind his back.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Why are the animators still switching up whether Laws hands are manacled in front or behind him? Feels like every time we see him it's changed.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Yup, pretty sure Diamante was pretty tall. Looks like next ep we get some awesome Usopp sniping action (either that or they'll spend the whole ep bigging it up and then go back to Franky or Sabo...).

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Exaggerated for the sake of drama I guess. He does appear to be standing on a hidden crate or something in the second pic based on where his feet should be.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

A good showing from Usopp, once again proving he's the best. I'm glad they didn't turn it into another joke/preparation episode. Bonus points for using the enemy's known weakness and unlocking observation Haki.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I just realised something else - the Headcrackers didn't revert back to people after Sugar got KO'd again. Not sure whether it's an oversight or if they use a far more powerful version of her ability which persists indefinitely (in addition to merging multiple dudes).

I guess there aren't more of them around 'cause they're not actually very useful. Intimidating, sure, but not very useful for moving crates etc.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OK cool, guess they just didn't bother animating it. Or maybe it'll be in a future episode. We've still got like at least 8 fights to resolve before Luffy and Law take on Doffy anyway (so what 50 episodes before the arc ends?).

Franky vs Senor Pink (so hard boiled)
Zoro vs Pica
Rebecca and Kyros vs Diamante
Sabo vs Zatoichi Fujitora
Ex-Gladiator Pirates versus Baby 5 and the miniboss brigade
Robin and co vs Explosion Man Gladius
Luffy vs Bellamy (from the next ep preview)
maybe Law vs Trebol at the same time?
did I miss any?

Also it's been ages since the Sunny crew were last on screen up so maybe a cutback to them?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I'd thought that the anime was catching up to the manga and they needed to slow it down, hence the amount of padding and recaps and general slow pacing currently. Is that not the case?

If not then gently caress this arc, it's going on far too long already and badly needs splitting into several shorter ones (given it's already a continuation of Punk Hazard).

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

We have to go deeper :inception:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

So after a wasted recap episode following a long rear end flashback we finally get back to some fighting. Luffy had better hurry up and ditch Bellamy, Law could really use a hand!

I kinda wish they'd concentrate on a fight for a while instead of doing like three moves and switching to someone else. I want some resolution dammit!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

TBH most Devil Fruit powers seem to be whatever bullshit the writer thought of that's vaguely related. Kinda like Magneto's magnetism powers giving him mind control and resurrection.

The clone dude is an extension of his body control / puppet ability, at a guess Doflamingo just gives it directives and it follows a pseudo AI instead of being controlled directly.

Re Devil Fruits and Water, essentially getting dunked turns off your mental ability to move at all so Franky's cyber bits'd stop working. It doesn't do anything physically. I guess in Franky's case he could add some kind of airbag that auto inflates on contact with water though :)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ryaomon posted:

Franky doesn't have a devil fruit.

I know he doesn't, it was a theoretical response to Shadow0's question about Franky's cyber bits still working if he had eaten a Devil Fruit:

Shadow0 posted:

Another thing I just thought of: Franky turned down the meramera no mi and said he likes his ability to swim, but as a robot, aren't his arms mechanical anyway? Won't they still function? Or maybe does the sapping just make you too tired to even think about moving?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Holy crap the anime is finally starting to resolve some of the fights! With a ridiculously well animated final attack sequence to boot!

Plus the secret of Baby 5's weird personality traits are revealed massive abandonment issues due to childhood trauma.

Looks like next ep is some more Diamante vs Kyros action.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

There were a bunch of dudes who took poison and died all the way back in the Alabasta arc. Though I guess they're generic guys so don't count?

Smiley also died :(

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Yeah, it seems all the bad guys are getting tragic backstories.

Hopefully Diamante doesn't have one and he's just an rear end in a top hat.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="452542459"]
So Violet can hear through her eyes?

Her power is clairvoyance (plus her weird eye blast thing), she's essentially projecting her conciousness to that location. Like scrying in D&D.

As far as useless fruits go, probably Brook's one. Being brought back to life once (albeit in skeleton form) isn't much of a boon.

Regarding eating unknown fruits, it'd really depend on the situation. If I was on my own on an island or something I probably wouldn't bother risking it. If I'm in a big crew with plenty of support in case it turns out to be crappy? Would probably go for it, even the 'bad' fruits are worth it.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I think a lot of that is due to the fact he screwed up and took a long time returning to his body after his original death, thus becoming undead. I suspect if a regular person had the fruit and revived straight away they wouldn't get those powers.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I thought all the spirit separation stuff was just because Brook spent a long time as a spirit and learnt to tap back into that during the time-skip, rather than the standard powers of the fruit. It's been shown before that some devil fruit users learn odd powers that past users haven't shown (or users of similar fruits, such as in the case of Chopper's extra Zoan forms and monster mode).

Having thought of that, I think I have a new most useless fruit, at least for me. The Hito Hito no Mi :)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I thought Oda said in an SBS that a normal human who ate the Human Human Fruit would become enlightened.

I get the impression that was a joke and he meant they wouldn't get any powers, but would otherwise understand more about what it means to be human :)

Is there a source for the Model: Yeti thing? I've had a quick look around but only found fan theories so far.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Plus Brook's fruit only kicks in once you've died. Possibly you're no longer, um, 'fully functional' after that.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

AkumaHokoru posted:

Does it have to? Marco's fruit pretty much lets him die constantly or take fatal wounds and just go into phoenix form to regenerate them

I guess it'd depend on what hit him, but I'd assume anything that killed him immediately couldn't be regenerated.

Law's fruit is an exception too as you have to sacrifice yourself to give someone else immortality.

Although, how does Doffy know about that? Surely if it's a known effect of that fruit it means it's been done before, so where are the immortals?

I guess there's also how you define 'Immortal' - do they mean 'can't be killed' or do they just mean 'can't die of old age'?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Maybe Brook is the first person to ever have let their flesh rot away before returning his spirit? All prior users got back straight away and died of being stabbed or whatever, Brook just happened to luck into higher 'spirit strength' or whatever which allows him to recapitate himself.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

With the Shadows, a strong personality from the shadow will influence the original, though it's meant to fade over time.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Is it stealing the shadow that causes you to die in sunlight, or is it the act of merging it with a corpse to make the zombies that does it? If the latter then the Marineford thing would be no issue.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

It is pretty sad that the current arc is mostly filler and stock footage :(

At least it's approaching the end, there's only Bellamy, Trebol and Doffy left to deal with, right? So like 50 more episodes full of flashbacks within flashbacks or something.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Finally things are moving along.

I was worried for a while we were going to get a Bellamy flashback to his adventures on Sky Island but fortunately Luffy just clobbered him :) Now he can go lend Law a hand.

I don't think Law will die as all he has to do is wait for Luffy to distract Trebol and Doffy for a bit then he can use the OP-OP powers to pull the bullets out.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

These are accurate opinions.

Concerning recent events: Come on, Bellamy, you fell for that punch the last time too... I'm really glad to see that Luffy discovered that he can do everything Bellamy can too. It was a nice tribute, but I really wish it had amounted to something though. :(

Part of me was kinda hoping that was the actual point of the fight i.e. Bellamy going 'Hey Luffy your power is similar to mine use this move on Doffy' rather than just 'I am a colossal idiot please punch me'.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Rohan Kishibe posted:

We just think humans who turn into animals look 100% like the animal. To a sheep, the dude who ate the sheep sheep fruit looks just as non sheepy as Chopper does to us. This is the actual explanation.

There's also the fanwank theory that Chopper ate the Model: Yeti version of the fruit.

TBH 'Awakenings' probably vary a lot based on the fruit in question. Doffy's lets him turn objects around him into thread, the Impel Down jailors Awakened Zoan fruits permanently turned them into more powerful hybrids.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Gyges posted:

In addition to models, you can also have the base type fruit. Dalton has a variation of the cow fruit, but that doesn't mean someone else can't just be a cow.

Dalton has the Bison fruit, Minotaurus has some sort of Cow fruit. Possibly Model: Holstein or something.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Oh right, I didn't notice the name, just the effect. Weird.

Looking into it, Kaku's fruit is another Cow Cow fruit, model: Giraffe. Some of the naming makes no sense!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

You misspelled X Drake