Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Havoc904 posted:

What is the general consensus among One Piece fans about the funimation voices? Who are some of the favorites and most spot on?

I got into One Piece via the funimation dvd releases in 2011, so they are the only voices I have known. The only time I was forced to experience the awful 4kids voices was via the ps2 games that I picked up that were a few years old by that point.

I wish we could have kept the 4kids voices. Yes, even sanji's brooklyn-accent-with-a-cold.

It just sounded more lively! Also, I can't disassociate half the funimation VAs with characters from DBZ, it makes the show super awkward. And yeah, there was no way anyone could live up to kazuki yao, but I could've lived with that if everyone else weren't so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
How in the world did they get away with literally adding Zatoichi to this show? That's loving awesome, but I can't help thinking that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Question about Capone Bege:

If you are inside him and you leave a dump in one of his toilets, where does it go when you flush? and is he aware of what you're doing?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I agree they were good scenes, but a lot of the in-between shots paid the price. The lack of mouth movement was really jarring.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Katakuri enjoying his doughnuts was absolutely wonderful, perhaps the most wonderful moment I've seen in years from this show.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Giants appear to have at least one feature about them being exaggerated besides their overall size and I recall at least three giants having sharp teeth and fangs (Oars, Oars Jr., and some rando giant at ace's execution). There's also I think whats his name in Blackbeard's crew, he's got just the sharp teeth.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The only power that can stop him now is Homer Simpson.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The trick will probably be getting katakuri riled up enough to stop focusing on observation haki. If I were luffy I would probably distract him by sympathizing with his love of donuts, he shouldn't have to feel guilty about it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I suspect katakuri's devil fruit powers might be from a custom made devil fruit, which would explain why it can be both logia and paramecia. I mean, it can't be a coincidence that not only did these ingredient/cooking themed devil fruits naturally exist but that her crew identified and secured all the appropriately themed ones. Or I guess it could, but it's kind of hackneyed.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

A bit of a crosspost from the manga thread, but now that the Katakuri 'reveal' has happened, I'd been working on a Katakuri cosplay, and I got pretty decent feedback in the manga thread, so I thought I'd show off a bit. Katakuri has been my favorite OP character in a bit, so I tried to go the extra mile with the jacket and face mask thing.

you cosplayed as katakuri and didn't pose laying on your back eating donuts??

not bad otherwise

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Looks like all that fighting is going to pay off next episode!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
lol Morley

also wow check out that farm girl getting a big ol' handful of belo betty's titty

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I thought it was cool way back when we saw a young Gol D. Rodger wearing the straw hat, but now I'm just confused because we got a preview of a big one in a meat locker now.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's a stronger style than they usually do, here's hoping the b-team keeps the quality up.

Also, how many times have they fallen into a raging torrent of water by now?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I forgot all about zoro's sword being cursed, it literally never mattered.

There's a chance cursed swords are a long running joke, like a thing sword makers invented to increase their value.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Having luffy struggle for almost a minute to not awkwardly fall out of the sumo ring caused me to die a little inside.

I don't think there has been any lower of a moment than that in this entire series.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I feel like some of the granularity between powerful people got lost post-summit war. There was more room to be flexible with strengths and weaknesses, but now haki pretty much determines who's strongest and there are these huge gulfs in differences. Both Big Mom and Kaido should be stronger than Luffy but not as invincible as they have been portrayed.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

hard times comin' for the anime only crowd

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
How dare oda copy Momonosuke's pink dragon form, what a lazy artist.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Wow, how long has raftel been a mistranslation? The way they spelled it out on its own screen in big letters almost feels like deliberate shaming/sarcasm aimed at translators.

I'm actually mad at myself because I could tell way back in thriller bark odz sounded more like oars to me. This one went under my nose for 20 years!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I get the feeling Momo's "useless" dragon form will come in handy as soon as he finds his courage.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I hope it's something actually worth getting angry about and not something lame, like his next power up having spiky blonde hair or something.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
that was a lot of good animation wasted just so we can see luffy punch really good at the end

now we pay for it in a review episode next week

uuuuggghhhh

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Shadow0 posted:

I've been watching this show for so long it's hard to imagine a post-One Piece world.

as if Toei wouldn't immediately jump into a next generation one piece ala naruto/boruto

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The filler/rerun episodes are absolutely grueling, too. We had a rerun episode a couple months ago, followed by 3 promo episodes for the new movie, and we're getting another rerun next week.

I haven't seen pacing this bad since Bleach's whole rear end filler arcs interrupting the main arc.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I still watch every week as well. Staying too long in an arc has been this show's thing since at least Thriller Bark.

And yeah, it feels like the quality of character motivations has gone down. I suspect it's an artifact of the show stretching out the manga's content, but it used to be better. King the Wildfire in particular going from mocking swordsmen in one episode to casually saying he likes swords a couple episodes later in the middle of a fight was really jilted and pointless.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's different in that it's got some of that naruto vs pain style of animation, but it seems like they've improved on it. Nearly the whole episode felt like a step up, which is surprising considering Luffy only got like 5 minutes of quality while he gave Kaido the advanced conquerors business, but also that was 9 months ago (holy poo poo times flies).

I'm hoping this is a sign we're nearing the end of the arc and not just the once per year quality episode. I mean, Sanji got his 5 minutes too. We gotta be close, right?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Looks like Luffy is getting his big power up next episode. That transition from his heartbeat to drum beat was :discourse:.

I'm getting curious about last year's blow-up with the manga, we gotta be getting close by now. I can't imagine why anyone would be mad that Luffy is Joyboy, considering how many hints were leading in that direction.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

SpartanIvy posted:

My take away was about the same. It's very obvious their mission with this weeks episode was just the big reveal and nothing else, and they padded accordingly.

The initial reveal was great. I got a very Looney Toons vibe from the animation and a very The Mask feeling from Gear 5, but they repeated a lot of animation and even Luffy saying "Gear 5" enough that it definitely took away from the experience.

I also thought the action was really hard to keep up with when Luffy reflects Kaido's blast breath but I think that's probably the intent as they're trying to convey the manic chaos behind Gear 5.

Sums up my feelings, too. Not the best animation we've seen (that goes to Zoro vs King the Wildfire), but at least we got another attempt at something different. Getting pretty tired of seeing kaido's 3d modeled shenlong form.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Teen/early adult Kaido seemed kinda cool, if he hadn't gone full nietsczhe.

Has the captain of the rocks pirates been shown yet? I think he's only been mentioned in the anime so far, not actually shown, but if he showed up in one of the movies maybe I oughta watch that.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Not a fan of teasing Shanks finally meeting Luffy and then reneging, again.

Am a fan of Bart loving around in Shanks' territory.

I hope we get a few episodes showing the chaos happening in the rest of the world.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If I was this show's director, I'd have been working more closely with Oda to try and drop hints via music as to where the show is going. The drums of liberation seemed like a good bridge between the show's reality and the mystical. The acapella version of We Are could have continued that by literally singing what Luffy intends to do after being king of the pirates.

Still, that's a looooong time trying to pull off a trick like hiding the ending in the first OP.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I like the new op song, not so much the animation for it.

I did like the episode though! Figures the mysterious figure on the throne can just nuke entire islands off the map, although if they were capable of that why even have the navy do the same job?

Also I'm gonna guess Sabo isn't dead somehow because otherwise wow oda really hates fire users!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
*topless jewelry bonney ringing out her wet shirt* yes, cinematic

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's one of those moments where it feels kind of like a made up rule, but you only have to look back at how they used to treat warlords and it should have been easy to infer they would have a similar "no interference" policy for emperors. It's also pretty easy to see that in the entire history of this show, there are no examples of the marines performing an offensive attack against an emperor. We only see them responding in defense to an emperor's attack. Unless you count capturing Ace as an offensive attack, which I could see an argument for.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Yeah but it was the marines that wanted Ace executed. They knew it would provoke a response, which means they broke their no interference policy.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Gologle posted:

It's crazy that Crunchyroll chose Luffy's dump truck rear end as the thumbnail for their teaser for this past episode

scary ghost dog posted:

i think hes showcasing every fetish he knows about in the interest of broad appeal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Sentomaru is probably the only recurring villain-turned-friend character that died without having a decent background exposé at some point in the series. Very uncharacteristic for this show. Maybe we'll get a flashback at some point with Dr. Vegapunk, but it still feels off.