Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Long live One Piece, we are on the cruise baby! I've seen 655 episodes of this fine show, hot drat, Oda is a master. No funner anime to marathon, I do it once or twice a year, just got caught up again recently. Sometimes a couple years go by and I have 100 glorious episodes of OP to check out. In Sanji we trust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Last Celebration posted:

I think Oda said that 130's the average age for humans in OP, so it's more that Whitebeard's in his fifty's and really sick. Kureha's just weird because no one should be that healthy at 130.
Lemmy from Motorhead is 68, so I'll guess 68 in One Piece years for Whitebeard. They both have excellent facial hair too. :D Maybe Whitebeard has Pirate diabetes or something.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I agree on the criticism of the slow 1 chapter per episode pace, but I do still really dig the anime. I don't find it irredeemably awful or unwatchable, I still find it to be really good stuff.

Some chapters are better suited to fill 19 minutes than others, so it works differently week to week. For me it does somehow always feel more full of content and moving along compared to DBZ which was 1 chapter per episode (1.1 chapters per episode overall apparently). Probably because there is just more going on in One Piece chapters.

The way I watch One Piece is marathoning the new episodes once or twice a year, I think it flows best that way. Week to week I don't think it'd work, but it's fun to kick back and watch a couple dozen episodes. At least as far as adaptations go it's pretty faithful, plus great voice work, etc.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

One Piece rocked from episode 1 for me, I'm glad people who thought it was ok stuck it out though. The early stuff, the Arlong arc, such great great stuff. I do agree the show hit another level with Water 7/Enies Lobby, or I should say surprised me and it was great to see it evolving. But I think it was great from the get-go myself.

I only watch the anime marathon style, so I check in every couple years for a 100 episode marathon, for me it still rocks. (been marathoning it again recently.) Though I agree a faster pace would be nice, overall I feel the anime adds a lot to it, for me. The voice acting, the direction, the "DON!" of it all, I dig it.

For example that bit in the Fishman arc where the episode ends on Nami learning about a certain connection to Arlong with Jinbe. Really hit me, that did some strong stuff with the direction of that sequence, compared to the brief straightforward take from the manga.

For favorite episode or moment, that bit at the end of Thriller Bark with Zoro and Kuma is the peak of mindblowing epicness. (as mentioned above with a DON!)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 20, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Or rock both, or whatever your heart tells you. Welcome aboard! The cruise is a good place to be on.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

So I'm like 70ish eps deep and I've been sad more times than I was expecting to be.

Strong men also cry... (Big Lebowski quote)

One Piece is potent stuff!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I like watching the anime. It's cool and makes sense that a lot of people prefer to stick with just the manga, especially because of the pacing, but I'm not sure why people suggest to not watch the anime. I may just have a high tolerance for this kind of pacing from DBZ back in the day and whatnot though. And I watch in marathons of 100 episodes or so every couple years on average.

That said, I do agree with criticisms and whatnot, would be nice if they did it more like Hajime no Ippo or Kaiji etc (only not being dropped), or like Jojo recently etc. But I guess having it off of TVs for a year or two here and there so the anime can have better pacing and/or animation quality, while would be cool for us, maybe they feel it'd stop the One Piece mania a bit, and lose the money train? That was a long sentence.

I think they're kind of just going with the DBZ approach for this anime, only to me One Piece feels a lot better paced anyway since Oda crams a lot into each chapter. He had said something like he has three times the ammount of development of a normal manga in his, or at least that's how he looks at it.

I'll go with the manga often when I don't think an anime is cutting it, but I think One Piece is still hanging in there, at least for me. And even with the manga, I'd want to wait a year or two and binge. Myself, I go back and read the cover arcs and compare a bit afterwards once in a while. Still dig anime first for One Piece.

Another thing is, if you read the manga first, it's a self fulfilling prophecy, you'll have a lot less use for the anime. But if you watch the anime first, that works in the anime's favor for several reasons, it's new and more exciting, and you don't have a thing you already dig to compare it to. I'm not in a hurry though, love the voice acting and do enjoy how they direct some of it, even with the budget issues, and I've been watching it since High School, I'm still on the cruise.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 28, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Suspicious Lump posted:

You're like me, I love the anime because well... animation is just better. Sound, action, voice acting.

Checkout One Pace
http://onepace.net/
One Pace is a One Piece project that condenses the anime into more accurate adaptations of the manga. It involves removing filler scenes, shortening slow or padded scenes, and merging episodes together.
bering they use is manga chapters (not anime episodes).

You will be behind by about 50 episodes or even more from the manga. The numbering they use is manga chapters (not anime episodes).

I've been tempted at times, like during the Fishman arc, still haven't used that yet. It's cool that it's an option though.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I think watching the show first really helped me enjoy the book. The voice cast is unbelievably good, and being able to read in their voices improves the experience tremendously, for me at least.

For sure, the cast really rocks.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Those rule, and for me later with Water 7 and Thriller Bark etc it really got groovy again too. Though there's the pacing stuff, those arcs were smooth viewing for me none the less. We are on the cruise, which is nice!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Not too shabby! We are on the cruise! 1 2 Jango, with a don!

(I have like 100 episodes sitting ready to go)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

We are... on the cruise! I don't have a lot of expertise on the devil fruit talk here but I like it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Shadow0 posted:

Remember that brief moment when Nami was human-shaped?
Those were the good old days.

I've seen this specific criticism against really bosomy characters before, saying they don't look human, I don't concur. The manga has always had the really stylized extreme hourglass thing, the waist has always been the most nutty aspect. The bigger knockers aspect I think gets too much flack, and if that's what you mean, it's just wrong to say it's not human. How about the J-cup bra? It didn't invent itself. We're talking really huge here folks. Hell there are even letters higher than that one. But I digress.

I think Nami-swan looks fine relative to the stylized look of the manga, but I do think how Oda draws waists is a little unusual at least. Overall I think this type of criticism that huge bosomed anime lasses don't look human is an odd stance to take, and I think Nami's change in look over the years is not bad myself.

Long story short, I am anti-anti-huge-bosoms, I think Nami is non-heinous.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

We can all agree Sanji's hair switching sides is good and provocative though.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's what DBZ's chapter per ep was (1.1 overall they say), and for One Piece it often feels a bit more eventful. Just because the chapters have more varied stuff in them.

Not that this manga adaptation from way back in the day is the bar, just at least One Piece is a better watch than DBZ. I agree OP and every show would be better without a pace tied to this situation, but I still enjoy One Piece as is.

I'd be cool with the filler angle though. Is the filler arc thing going out of style? Any other shows do that much in recent years?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ok they goofed, you can't adapt slower than DBZ, that should be official policy. The DBZ law, can't go lower than 1 chapter per ep.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

One Piece sure rules! I've been going down the nostalgia lane, rewatched the first 8 eps, also read some of the first volume to compare etc. And now I'm watching that Episode of East Blue special thing, it's pretty cool. The bit recapping Zoro vs Mihawk and also the Kuro arc was nicely done.

Here's a behind the scenes music question. I read on a wiki page that One Piece used to only get new music made for the movies, and they'd apply it to the TV series. At least in the first half of the show. I've heard in the past this was the case with Dragon Ball Z as well. I wonder why they did it that way. And is it true in One Piece's case? Here's the page that mentioned it

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/The_Final_Sea:_The_New_World_Saga

Certainly well placed and catchy music, always hits those emotions.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It is interesting, this remake thingy, but what's funny is it selfishly doesn't help me. For me the second half of the series needs a remake much more than the first half, we've all seen those pacing charts. It used to be several chapters an episode, settling down to around 1.5 ch average for a while. And then around Fishman and Punk Hazard it fell to 1 ch an episode, sometimes less etc.

The early stuff to me holds up well, I rewatched it and got a friend into it lately. But the show got slower and slower, so I became manga only in Punk Hazard. Other than movies etc.

So my nutty perfect idea, greenlight another show at the same time starting from Fishman arc called like One Piece Z: The Second Half of the Cruise. And I'll watch that one, and The One Piece will bring in some more new fans, and then we'll meet up one day, and everyone wins.

It's just funny that if this new version is a hit that lasts the whole run, I probably won't get to have these adaptations of the second half that I so want until maybe decades from now.

For the first half, it's interesting because it'll probably be better in some ways, worse in some ways. Because there is a lot of charm and something special to how they pulled it off already. Improving the pacing is cool, and flashy animation is fun (though often unnecessary). There are so many kind of quiet chill hanging with the gang on the adventure moments, and it's not like the manga always felt like it had a breakneck pace either.

So anyways, I think it's cool, I just want it for the second half a lot more, and it's a unique situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Funky Valentine posted:

Whitebeard body-slammed a 10 foot-tall, 700 pound Roger in front of millions of Beardamaniacs brother and don't you forget it.

This sounds incredible