Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

One Piece anime is in a relatively good spot now.

The only main issue, which.... did we have this before? Where they just cut around all the time instead of focusing on one fight? It's majorly hype killing. If this was directed well, it could very well have been one of the most hype arcs ever, but the pacing and constant cuts to different scenes is just jarring to me.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

That was probably the best One Piece episode I have seen in literal years. Is it just me or was the animation style totally different from the other high production fighting scenes so far?

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/henry_thurlow/status/1672997452235038721

It almost makes sense that it was so good because of an American director. TOEI's animation has been lackluster for so many years, a fresh take is what this series needed. No weird rubber banding for several seconds, no hyper-deformed sequences, no DBZ aura fighting like in Luffy vs Kaido. There was a focus on fixed perspective and fluidity of motion, but still adhering to the model instead of turning into actual puddles of water.

They need to put this guy in charge of the whole drat series. Also make it seasonal so they have time to make every episode like this. It's basically the last of the "Big Three" that won't give up it's money-making timeslot, and suffers as a result.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Drakkel posted:

Personally I really enjoyed the fight but some bits were kinda...over-animated (???) to the point it was hard to even see what was happening. A lotta the gags are great but are literally on screen for a couple frames.

I also think the sound mixing was a bit weird on some of the cartoon sound effects but that's kinda par for the course for the anime. I still think about the endless clippity-cloppity running sounds from Marineford

I see this level of 'over-animation' in some series like Demon Slayer. They pack in so many distinct movements that it all just becomes a blur. The careful choreographing with a static camera looks much better than trying to emulate early 2000s shaky cam.

This is why that Law sequence was so good. I know it was intentional to show off his ability but I have seen it used well in many other places as well, like early Dragon Ball fights.

Normally we wouldn't go too hard on these differences but they made a point to bring in a lot of different animators and animation styles for the episodes of the past few months, so it really hits you to compare and contrast the styles and it stands out how ineffective some of them are.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 9, 2023

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

The animation for this episode was much better than the last. Most of the action stayed in frame and they didn't have any jarring sequences..

Kaido voring Luffy then complaining that Luffy isn't taking the fight seriously was weird. Kaido has also been messing around basically this whole time.

Luffy was starting to look like his voice actress there for a moment.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

You could have skipped this week and missed nothing. TOEI is a joke.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

The manga did 2 chapters of flashbacks after Luffy threw his punch? That's wild.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I once read a criticism of Oda was that he was a bit too aware of the anime and started cramming in as many things as possible each chapter.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I hope that American guy was involved in that.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

They could also just turn into a seasonal show, but I guess the profit of "the timeslot" will never be viable to give up.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

The former shogun likely had to stay hidden precisely because he's able to read them like Robin. And that's probably why he'll stay hidden. And Momo not knowing how to read them is a blessing because it makes him safe as well.

Also, I've seen better framerates on my first computer when watching AMVs at like 5 FPS. When I got my second computer, I was amazed that they're not supposed to look that way. It's almost like the producers are insulting its audience with this, since these far more relevant scenes than most of the stuff I saw this arc that didn't have this framerate.

And as mentioned, having Shanks go all the way to Wano just to go 'nah' is pretty weird, especially since his entire crew wants to see Luffy again. Yasopp likely wants to see him too but the prospect of meeting Usopp overrides that. By the way... worst dad?

I'm anime-only but it really doesn't feel like Yamato is going with them. The whole 'I'm Oden!' shtick falls completely flat overseas where most people don't even know who he is. All they'll see is that Kaido's child is traveling with Luffy, which doesn't seem like a development the story wants to go with. But I could be wrong. I feel like Yamato will just be part of the Straw Hat Flotilla.

I would have preferred if Momo assigned a regent like Kin'emon until he was qualified to rule, or Denjiro who actually was involved in the ruling regime this whole time.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

It would be nice if this was more of a One Piece Kai type of deal, but it does look more like an alternative universe the way they're describing it. The TV show condensed/changed a bunch of things around, but the main story beats are still there, and people aren't expecting those to change.

However, having that sort of creative freedom might mean improvements on the manga itself.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 17, 2023

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I hate when media does the thing where character has an important thing to say and they're can't stammer it out and then it's too late.

I assume they didn't blast the Kammabakka Queendom because it's either out of range, or they can't set the precedent of just blasting anybody just for opposing the World Government. It has to be for this specific reason.

As for why they haven't used it before, I assume it's new.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Yeah, I haven't seen a One Piece OP since Water 7. Too risky.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I can't believe this is the same show from a couple months ago. The last three episodes have been cinematic.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Is this whole show just thinly-veiled eating fetish?

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I feel like Blackbeard already messed with the Navy on numerous occasions, like on Amazon Lily. This 'don't make war with Emperors' stuff is maybe just an excuse to keep CP0 on track, given their history with the Straw Hats. Vegapunk is far more of a threat and messing with the Straw Hats complicates things on top of that. Hell, just sending CP0 seems like they're taking him really lightly. Maybe they even knew about his Forbidden Knowledge(tm) but tolerated him long enough to get their hands on the doomsday weapon, after which his usefulness to them did not exceed his liability.

Also, the Seraphim are really cool, even that utterly ridiculous Young Kuma design. Unless CP0 is hiding some ridiculous power-ups (and their performance in Wano makes me doubt that), I'm not sure how anyone other than maybe Gear 5 Luffy could handle the Seraphim.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 1, 2024

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

Yeah but it was the marines that wanted Ace executed. They knew it would provoke a response, which means they broke their no interference policy.

I'd like to think the only reason they went through with it is because he was a D. Holder and the Celestial Dragons basically ordered them to do it.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

I'm personally not a fan of animation so abstract that you can't even tell what's going on. At one point the only coherent part of the sequence was Luffy's mouth; nothing else was discernable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Did someone else animate the last episode? Everything was so much more coherent than the previous one. American guy pls.