Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Spiderguy186 posted:

I like their new looks a lot but I'm really going to miss a lot of their old looks.

I am assuming you are talking about Franky's hair? That was pretty disappointing for manga followers too when we first found out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The pickle scene was executed flawlessly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I thought the cursed one was the one that got eaten by a dude with the rust-rust fruit in the Water Seven arc.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'll always like Share the World.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67UPkUDJEn0&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

tsob posted:

Pretty sure he outright says he's not as strong as he used to be back in the good ol' days at one point, and that his cannonball punch isn't as good as it used to be.
There was that promo episode(I think? might have just been a self-contained one-shot manga thing) that flashed back to when Gold Roger and Golden Lion Shiki faced off, and then Shiki's assault on Marineford. During that, Garp and Sengoku were literally Starsky and Hutch/Murtaugh and Riggs, two buddy cops with attitude and probably a really sweet ride who kicked the poo poo outta bad guys. A flashback side story about them would own.

Eiba posted:

They're horrifically offensive.
Yep basically!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cerebral Bore posted:

I mean, it's possible this was the intent, but what I'm wondering is why Oda would choose to portray these characters this way.
Oda doesn't have much say in the anime's production, does he? In the manga, they're not nearly as offensive. I mean, they're ugly and goofy and whatever, but also really drat good fighters, and as was said, there was no part in the manga showing them defeating the Marines by kissing them and creeping them out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nanomachines.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

Underneath it is an Ouroboros tattoo.

With The Ultimate Eye, he can see The Breath of All Things. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So it'll cost what, half a grand for the entire series once they've caught up? That's really not so bad, considering something like Legend of Galactic Heroes on Blu-Ray is like 2500 dollars. Although LOGH is one of the greatest feats of television ever, but still, 2.5 thousand dollars for a tv show.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Flameingblack posted:

I think Hody himself exists just to show people how much stronger that the Crew is, and how insignificant threats that would have taken them down before are now. It doesn't bother me.
It was a very well-executed statement at the climax of the arc made by Oda in the manga that is literally invalidated by this single scene, so it does bother people who know what's coming.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It ain't perfect, but I didn't hate it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also it has pretty awesome/hilariously stereotypical Mexican pirates. Like, their ship is literally a cactus submarine, they wear ponchos and sombreros, and have colossal handlebar moustaches.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Loanarn posted:

:ughh: Really Oda? While less creepy than most anime I expect more from you.
I don't remember if that was in the manga or not, but Oda doesn't really have control of the anime, right?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Captain "Crunch" Ussop

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Crocodile is a James Bond villain.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man, fuckin' nakama.

edit: after finishing it, if it had been the old one somehow stretched out 4 more minutes and adding a little bit more meat to each segment/adding to parts that barely got covered, it would've been great.

But this really sucks.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 6, 2012

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It also has an absolutely hilarious sequence where the roughly 20 seconds of coverage Skypiea gets is largely set to Circle of Life from The Lion King. Talk about jarring.

It's a bad AMV, don't bother. The first one was good but had a few flaws, this one is just bad.

Also, nakama. Nakama, nakama, nakama. Nakama? Nakama.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They don't budget it for that, though. So you get reaction faces instead.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ryaomon posted:

That being said I'm really curious who's going to voice Brook if they ever get to that part.
Samuel L Jackson.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Reiche posted:

It's 100% this. The arc in the manga went by just fine apart from the flashback chapters, but those always seem to last forever.

It's all that extra ink lining the pages to signify it's a flashback. Makes the page turn much slower.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Autumncomet posted:

Aokiji's Funimation voice from season 4, voyage 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heGQqdZuKes
e: "Total slovenly justice" :allears:

Oh man. It's not One Piece, but the related video has this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLEzZGosqe8

I love it. I'm not a fan of the meme, but I do just love completely over the top dubbing, and always found DBZ's hilarious, the comparison of all the different English versions of it is great, I like that one of them specifically tries to ape the original. :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
God drat it Hikari E is so loving good. It's so drat One Piece. I REALLY wish that they'd had Vic do the full song instead of just an OP's worth.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Petiso posted:

Too bad it spoiled a BIG twist for anime-only watchers, I'd regard it better if not for that.

I know, I was so surprised when Giant Island-Sized Dolphin joined the crew. I don't think anyone saw that coming! Boy, it leads to some wacky antics down the road let me tell you.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, Sabaody was probably one of the best examples of "anime over manga" for One Piece. Just really well done and the addition of color really helps to make that place more than others stand out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Srice posted:

That and anime tends to not do a lot of fretting about spoilers. Admittedly less so nowadays, but a few decades ago it'd be fairly common to have episode previews that literally say stuff like "In the next episode, this happens and this character dies".

Legend of the Galactic Heroes did it as well, though less with episode titles and more with the end-of-episode narration, which is why I tend to suggest to new viewers that they skip the narrator foreshadowing at the end of each episode.

Gurren Lagann actually subverted that annoying trope by having a spoilery episode title show up at the END of the episode.

Hell, One Piece is no stranger to this as well with "The Death of Portgas D. Ace", though that one was more of a "yeah, he dead" since Ace had already been gored through the chest by a fist made of lava in the previous chapter/episode.

edit:

gnome7 posted:

There is literally an episode of Dragon Ball Z titled "The death of Vegeta," and the episode previews for it had the narrator going "Is this the end of Vegeta? Has Freiza finally done what no one else could?" And then the episode title popped up. I don't think anything is quite that bad these days.
lol

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 22, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Robin has had literally one major solo fight that focused on her abilities to their fullest. And that was in Skypiea. It is also one of my favorite fights of the series. Since then she's not really had a chance to go bananas like she did, and that's a shame.

"Killing" grunts doesn't count.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Prison Warden posted:

Ace are the best.
I can think of one guy who is factually better than Ace :smug:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The anime version of Marineford was a tragedy. The manga version had people frothing at the mouth for each new chapter and caused the series to practically explode in popularity around here, much moreso than I'd ever seen before. It was so jam-packed full in every single frame with interesting and unique new characters, fight scenes, and dramatic turns of events, that I'd often be on the edge of my seat as I read each chapter. It obviously would not have been as impactful without all the buildup from all the chapters preceding it, but man, it was intense.

The anime version compared to that was an insult. It had the occasional scene of great animation but then half an episode of AAAAAAASSSSUUUUUUUUUUU and Luffy running at a glacial pace, the intensity and desperation of it all was completely lost in how slow everything seemed to be moving. I liked the One Piece anime for a while, but the last half dozen arcs or so have been shameful compared to early on.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also he's a loving PIGTAILED PIRATE CLOWN. A combination that would be considered monkey-cheese levels of stupid, but Oda makes it work in the most glorious of ways.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Suspicious Lump posted:

http://imgur.com/vNSC3hC

Oooops, accidently hit quote.

It says "help, trapped in animation studio"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Suspicious Lump posted:

There's waaay to much poo poo going on:

1. Sanji and the latino girl
2. Zoro and the fairies
3. Handover team and the Green Bit (and the fairies)
4. Luffy with Bart/pretty boy/Kano guys/
5. Block C fight
6. Franky and the soldier
7. The navy
8. Mr Samurai and evil dudes
9. Weird poo poo happening on the boat

and a bunch of other tiny bits like who the hell Ricky was or where is the gladiator girl and who the statue is (probably Ricky), wtf happend with Bellamy and Skypia

I had a good giggle at the depiction of the two arabs: Jeet and Abdullah. Ahahaha. TWO EVILS, COWARDS. CHEATERS but I really liked how Bellamy was a trash at the end. Bart winning was expected but hilarious. That loving king. Great character design.

Jeet and Abdullah are both huge wrestling references, of Tiger Jeet Singh(in the ring, a huge heel, outside the ring, a philanthropist) and Abdullah the Butcher(a formerly famous hardcore wrestler, just look at that wikipedia thumbnail). A lot of the characters in the tournament are wrestling references, there's a giant Macho Man Randy Savage for gently caress's sake. Don't stir poo poo out of ignorance.

And without spoiling things, despite it just being a gigantic clusterfuck of stuff going on, don't lose faith in Oda's storytelling. This is, yet again, one of the better arcs in One Piece, even if people say that about every arc(except Davy Back Fight). Hell, the last chapter of the manga that just came out I consider one of the best in the entire series, so take that as you will. I can't wait to see that part animated.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 10, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Suspicious Lump posted:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to stir the pot. I honestly thought it was funny depiction of arabs. I didn't see anything wrong with Oda making fun of my race (I'm an arab). I have no idea who Randy the Savage is, so clearly I'm ignorant of wrestlers, thanks for letting me know.
I'm not judging, but you've really never seen this guy come up on the forums here at all? He's fairly popular on the internet, ironically or not, let alone real life. OHHHHHH YEAAHHHHHH!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Savage

(I haven't watched wrestling at all aside from once or twice as a kid)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sorry, I meant real fake wrestling, not fake real fake wrestling.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Here's a thing I posted in the manga thread related to that video game, it's entertaining and fairly informative(both about the game and what non-anime-fans view it as)

quote:

Two people who have absolutely no clue whatsoever about anything One Piece(or anime really) do a quick look of a recent One Piece game. Their reactions to various characters is preeeeeetty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7i7Nfw-cIo&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Someone give him the watching guide to the One Piece anime so he doesn't watch a bunch of lovely filler

Which made me check the OP for it and discovered the OP hasn't been updated in literally two years(minus like, 3 days)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He's old and his body was failing, which means he must've been a true monster in his prime if even as an old "cripple" he was still the strongest man in the world.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shadow0 posted:

I feel like giving your character an advanced prosthetic that is indistinguishable from their original hand kind of ruins the impact of having lost a hand.

One Piece's massively escalating technology kind of bothers me. Especially if you start over an everyone is always :0 when discovering devil fruits are real, but then it's like "Don't you have TV?"

Not really. Where has there been TV outside of a few places like Sabaody?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Read The Manga

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nah Pica is a pica poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU