Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I'm pretty sure they were together for more than just two months. I would guess the adventures took place throughout a little under a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I just want to hear the English version of Brand New World already.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Steve Blum, obviously

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

I am totally ready to be completely disappointed by the Funimation version of Kokoro no Chizu.

(I really hope I'm wrong and it ends up being awesome)

I thought I heard that there were issues getting the rights to use Kokoro no Chizu so they just used We Are with its animation. I could be misremembering though.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Gyges posted:

Yeah, this is the same place where we learned that Enel made it to the Moon and had adventures with Moon Men. Also where we saw the continuing adventures of CP9 following their beating at the hands of the Straw Hats.

I think the only cover stories to ever actually tie back in were Buggy's adventures, which they animated before his reintroduction.
Well, there was also Hachi and Camie but they never animated that one.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Endorph posted:

It was a goofy comedy moment that was pretty much the trans version of a minstrel show.

I mean, dumb crass jokes are one thing, but the phrase "real women" was literally used by a character we are meant to like and identify with.

Well they are technically men dressed as women. So they wouldn't be "real women" unless they got those hormone injections from Iva.

Why are we arguing about this stuff again

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I've only seen movies 6, 9, and 10, but I enjoyed them all.
6 was great, but very different from anything else in the series (and Hosoda's other films). Genuinely creepy, too.
9 was pretty good, but the most enjoyable parts were from the actual series. It's a good movie because the story that it's adapting was good. The extra characters and scenes were unnecessary but didn't take away from the experience.
10 was basically it's own canon story arc compressed into a movie. I found it to be really good, though as far as the overall plot goes it didn't affect much.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It's just an HD remake of the Arlong arc right? I would assume if you've seen the original you'd know what's happening anyway, subs or not.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The subtitle is "Adventure of Hand Island" so I think it's an original story.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Genocyber posted:

Can anyone make a rough guess as to how long it would take for subs to come out after the film? I hope it's not too long, I'm already anxiously waiting for the third Eva movie. :ohdear:

Well, there may be a camrip of the film at some point during its time in theaters but those are barely legible and also very illegal. But outside of that? Sometime next year when its released on DVD/Blu-Ray. Strong World's DVD had extra scenes put in at Oda's request so if Z follows suit it'd probably be worth waiting for.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Why? Because it's One Piece, that's why.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 22, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Ivan Dolvich posted:

Glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. The whole Otohime flashbacks were dreadfully boring and I felt like Luffy falling asleep through it. I also thought the Marineford Arc was bad. Maybe because I was expecting it to be awesomely epic and it just felt like 90% of the time was just them running or standing around. I like this show best for the interaction of Luffy's crew or watching Luffy kick rear end.

Marineford was awesomely epic in the manga, but the anime version was boring as hell. Otohime on the other hand was boring no matter where you saw/read it.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It's filler that leads up to the movie, supposedly. I'm guessing it'll only be a few episodes.

The end of this episode was changed from the manga because of it, but I guess this makes it easier for them to segue into Film Z.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Dukeofdummies posted:

Man. G8 was also filler? It's stuff like this that makes me wonder what on earth happened to the writers in the battle of the best? Half the time I am clueless and half the time it's just painfully obvious...

What happened to the writers is "Oh poo poo we're kinda close to catching up to the manga, but can't do filler. Let's stretch this poo poo out as far as we can!"

So basically the same thing as Fishman Island, despite the fact that the anime wasn't that close to the manga at that point.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Gyges posted:

The whole thing with Marineford was that they could totally do filler. It's a literal war between pirates and the marines, make filler battles. Hell, make an entire filler subplot about a filler pirate/crew and his/their filler arch nemesis in the Marines. Fighting it out on the sidelines, trying to get to Ace.

They did make some cool filler fights by expanding the Fullbody/Django fights a bit, as well as a cool Itano Circus-ish Smoker fight. The only problem was that these fights took up 30 seconds at most.

Toei just knows that One Piece will do well regardless of animation or pacing quality, so they put their budget elsewhere.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Drakkel posted:

I think a lot of the problems the anime has would be solved if they went in seasons so the manga would have a few months to get ahead, but apparently it just doesn't work like that in Japanese television.

The Bakuman anime does this, and so do others. The problem is that since One Piece is so popular they want to maximize profits and keep viewership up.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Alpacaccino is the best filler character in anything ever. It's an alpaca-cannon with an Al Pacino pun. Unbeatable.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Sekkira posted:

Dragons aren't something the Hobbit has dibs on in regards to originality.

Also, haven't they encountered them before hitting the grand line in a filler arc? I'm pretty sure Oda is deferred to when they want to do filler and he needs to approve it. Maybe it's an oversight? Or maybe it's just because Robin is unaware of what they did before meeting up with them.

AFAIK that filler arc was from before they ran stuff past Oda.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Srice posted:

So wait. Does it cover half the chapter and adds some filler, or do they pad out reaction faces and recaps and panning shots even more than they normally do?

Either way, that sounds painful.

Both, actually. The filler stuff is occasionally interesting but usually it just draws out a gag or adds unneeded exposition.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I'd be fine with them stretching it out a bit if more of the filler was fighting. Slow pans, flashbacks, and extra background characters crying on the other hand... Regardless, Punk Hazard has a lot of content in its chapters compared to Fishman Island, so things should still be better.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The latest episode wasn't dragged out that much. I mean, it was still one chapter, but it wasn't unbearably slow like some of the latest ones.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Shadow0 posted:

It took them like 3 weeks, but it was worth it. Anyone else think that was a really good fight finally? Probably doesn't need spoiling, but anyone else confused how Law only needs to use his sword at certain times? He can manipulate the ship or swap hearts or do all kinds of various things to people well out of his range, but to injure say Tashigi, he needs to cut her. But other times he can even use his fingers. I guess I'm just thinking too much into it.
Also, how did those kids even make it that far without dying? They don't even have socks let alone any real clothes. Children in anime are always the most annoying characters.

Law cuts things into smaller pieces with his sword. It's not that he can't move things around without cutting them, but rather it makes it easier to gently caress poo poo up by messing with pieces of things.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Plus his crew isn't called the "Head Pirates." Gotta keep up appearances.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Do they have an English version of Brand New World yet?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="414548468"]
What was the stylization that you're referring to?

And I didn't realize it before the movie, but using hardening haki actually changes your skin to black. I always thought it was just a visual effect for the audience.

I think using Color of Armament haki to protect yourself or safely harm fruit users is different from CoA hardening. Hardening makes it black, the other stuff is what we saw before the timeskip and it's invisible.

Probably.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The Color of Conqueror haki effect in Z doesn't really jive with what it's supposed to be: Scaring others into unconsciousness just by being a badass.

Shadow0 posted:

Yeah, everyone's right. It was much cooler when no one knew what was going on and everyone just fainted. Which then makes me feel the other hakis might be better invisible, too...

Yeah, we had to learn how their parents died. I think only Ussopu and Luffy still have even one parent. Most only had one or zero to start out with.
I've been wondering this for a while, but... Is Ussopu one of those weird early scanlation names that people got used to or what? Ussopu has all the Japanophilia-fueled literalism of "Rufi" but none of the charm of "Liar Bu."

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

gnome7 posted:

There is literally an episode of Dragon Ball Z titled "The death of Vegeta," and the episode previews for it had the narrator going "Is this the end of Vegeta? Has Freiza finally done what no one else could?" And then the episode title popped up. I don't think anything is quite that bad these days.

I don't remember if the episode name was the same, but the manga chapter where Ace dies is "The Death of Portgas D. Ace."

EDIT: Well poo poo, shoulda read Captain I's post more thoroughly.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The black isn't just a visual representation of armament haki, though I'm sure that's how the idea came about. It's a specific type of reenforcing called color of armament hardening. Basically it's just an advanced version of it. It's apparently not as easy to do as using it normally since people like Vergo and Z are specifically known for being able to do it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember times when Luffy's hit Caesar without the hardening, right?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

John Liver posted:

After the colossal slogs of Fishman Island and now Punk Hazard, I'm really hoping Doflamingo can show the crew some actual danger, and do it quickly. This show is murdering its own dramatic tension (what little there is) by drawing everything out for so long. For all the buildup he's had over the show's run, it better pay off well.

The manga's honestly the only way to go if you want tension. The padding and stretching out of scenes in the anime doesn't seem to be going anywhere any time soon.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The anime definitely has its moments here and there (and an amazing cast) but for the most part it takes a great series and makes it markedly worse. I do like reading the anime-only goons' reactions to the plot though!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

AkumaHokoru posted:

sub 1. Law was always that strong
1. No Donflamingo works for one of the 4 yonkou though by increasing that yonkou's army

2. the gear law speaks of is more of a figure of speech. The gear he speaks of is like a gear in how the politics of the one piece world works out. With him cutting off one of the yonkou's power that 4 way split may not remain a 4 way split add to that the new rookie pirates out to outright remove the 4 and the picture becomes more clear hopefully.

It's not so much that Doflamingo works for Kaidou so much as Kaidou is his biggest customer... who wouldn't take kindly to being unable to do business anymore.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Any plot points that have to be dropped for whatever reason will probably be made into Strong World-ish movies. Shiki was going to be part of the manga originally after all.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Drakkel posted:

Hey if Wapol could pull it off....

I still love the fact that in order to power up Wapol loving ate himself.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Srice posted:

Oda did designs for costumes and the animals in Strong World. He was a producer for both Strong World and Z. That's the extent to which he is officially credited (besides being credited as the original creator, of course. But that goes without saying).

Yeah, Strong World had some backtracking to East Blue to fight the forgettable filler villain. Kinda feels strange when you consider the effort it took to get that far into the Grand Line!

Meanwhile Z's antagonist felt like he fit into the setting quite naturally and they actually took time to develop him a little instead of making him a bad guy that does bad things to make orphaned children sad just because.

At the end of the day he was still the antagonist of a Shonen Jump movie, but it actually felt like they *tried*, and that's what counts!

Strong World didn't have any backtracking to East Blue so I'm not sure what you're talking about there. And while ultimately Shiki was pretty forgettable he is a canon character that's mentioned in the canon material and was originally going to be a part of the manga before Oda decided to use him for the movie. One thing about Oda's involvement with the anime as a whole is that he has free reign with the staff at this point judging from comments he's made in the Q&A sections of each volume. He's not credited for a lot of the content that he's said he was behind. He didn't write the Loguetown filler or Strong World, but he did come up with the story for it and told the anime staff what to put in.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I think those are poorly drawn muscles

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It was just the usual generic "I won't lose! I'm gonna be the pirate king!" stuff.
The opening spoiled a lot of characters, though, including one you aren't supposed to know is working for Doflamingo yet. Oh well! Seeing Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji fighting the 3 admirals was neat though.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Well, they seem to be adapting 75% of a chapter per episode, so...

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I like Zoro getting lost all the time because I can self-identify

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Shadow0 posted:

Usoppu (sp?)

Usopp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I still think Moocy is the best English equivalent.