Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
Foobar2000?

I loving love foobar2000.

This is the setup that I've been using and constantly tweaking for about 3 years. I think it's finally approaching near-perfection for what I want it to do.

Mainly DefaultUI, with facets on the left, wsh_panelmod things for the art and last.fm, and a single dockable panel for the lyrics.

Highlights of this setup:
  • Autodownloading synced lyrics, album art (saved as folder.jpg) and multiple pics of the artist (probably my favourite feature) I cannibalised the autodownloading artist/album art from a setup called foo_silk

• Last.fm charts displayed at the bottom again from foo_silk

• Rearranging my entire library based on a set pattern (so those torrents you have with multiple file naming patterns actually end up nicely arranged, and accurately, unlike when iTunes tries to do it).
    Before: http://i.imgur.com/VxZ8W.png :barf: After: http://i.imgur.com/1hVoy.png :sun:

• Automatically re-tagging albums when syncing to iPod to add a) proper various artists support and b) proper dates support (so a various artists album would appear as: Various Artists - [2009] Some lovely Compilation, and the track would be titled Generic Pop Track // lovely Artist)

• Keyboard shortcuts loading currently playing artist/album on http://what.cd

• Autoplaylists for "New Music Autumn 2011" etc monitoring new additions to Library

If you're interested in copying this:
Custom components used to make this happen: http://i.imgur.com/X2ChS.png

Install all of those, then download this: http://code.google.com/p/foobar-silk/downloads/detail?name=foo_silk%204.0.zip&can=2&q= and follow all the installation instructions to set it up his way. (this basically links it with your last.fm properly and ensures that the scripts actually load)

Once you've done that, download this theme file, double click it, import everything, and it *should* work: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23243/foobar%20theme%20for%20SA.fth i hope i stripped all my personal info :ohdear:

Here's a few of the titleformatting script things I've written to enable this incase anyone finds them useful (some are included in the theme above, some aren't)

File name pattern used: (elegantly supports Various Artists and multi-disc albums)

quote:

$cut(/%codec%/$if(%album artist%,%album artist%,%artist%) - ['['$cut(%date%,4)'] ']%album%/$ifequal(%totaldiscs%,1,,%discnumber%) %tracknumber% $if($strcmp(%artist%,%album artist%),,'['%artist%']' )%title%,235)

FacetsUI sorting:

quote:

$if(%album artist%,%album artist%,%artist%) - ['['$cut(%date%,4)'] ']%album% » '['%codec% '/' $if(%actualbitrate%,%actualbitrate%,$if($strcmp(%codec%,AAC),%bitrate%,)$if($strcmp(%codec%,MP3),$if($strcmp(%codec_profile%,CBR),%codec_profile% %bitrate%,%codec_profile%),)$if($or($strcmp(%codec%,ALAC),$strcmp(%codec%,FLAC)),Lossless,))']')

(the use of %actualbitrate% is for the rare occasion when you get an anomalous album that for some reason has the codec profiles and bitrates all hosed up, I manually add a tag to override it)

Very ugly and non-elegantly coded (but still works) defaultUI grouping (I should really clean this up):

quote:

$if($and($not($stricmp($meta(album artist),)),$or($not($stricmp($meta(album artist),$meta(artist))),$stricmp($meta(album artist),various artists))),%album artist%,%artist%) - '['%date%']' %album% $if(%release type%,'['%release type%']' ,)» '['%codec% $if($stricmp(%codec_profile%,CBR),'/' CBR %bitrate%,$if($or($stricmp(%codec%,ALAC),$stricmp(%codec%,FLAC)),'/' Lossless,$if($stricmp(%codec%,AAC),$if($and($greater(%bitrate%,100),$greater(135,%bitrate%)),'/' 128, '/' %bitrate%),'/' %codec_profile%)))$if(%source%, '/' %source%,$if($stricmp(%obtained from%,iTunes Store), '/' iTunes,$if($stricmp(%obtained from%,what.cd), '/' what.cd,$if($stricmp(%obtained from%,ST Music), '/' ST Music,))))']'

Foo_dop Artist, Title, and Album mappings (in that order):

quote:

$if($and($not($stricmp($meta(album artist),)),$or($not($stricmp($meta(album artist),$meta(artist))),$stricmp($meta(album artist),various artists))),%album artist%,%artist%)

$if($and($not($stricmp($meta(album artist),)),$or($not($stricmp($meta(album artist),$meta(artist))),$stricmp($meta(album artist),various artists))),%title% '/''/' %artist%,%title%)

'['%date%']' %album%

Also, thanks to Toast Museum for pointing out the Win 7 integration plugin, that's really good.

Mr SuperAwesome fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Arob1000 posted:

I use foobar for my music, but once a year or so I install iTunes to take advantage of some misc thing it can do. If I let iTunes find my music, when I go back to foobar I discover that many of my tracks have some tags permanently truncated (and maybe some deleted for all I know) and I spend a bunch of time fixing them. Is that related, and is there a way to stop that from happening?
iTunes has a bad habit of butchering tags and editing files. It does not adhere to standards at all well, and is just rather good at loving up your carefully tagged mp3s in one way or another.

What specifically are you trying to do with iTunes that foobar cannot do?

The best way to prevent iTunes from editing (breaking) your id3 tags is probably to select your entire music library and set the files read only, and only unset this when you've finished using iTunes.

If your "misc thing" in iTunes involves editing files, I'd suggest sharing it with us here so we can suggest a proper alternative using foobar2000 (or an external program if necessary).

If not, setting the files read only should do the trick (but foobar2000 can probably do what you want anyway, it's great like that!)

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Phiberoptik posted:

Tried doing the seutp in one of the first posts in this thread:

http://i.imgur.com/SyArk.png

Where the LastFM stuff is, after I imported his theme, I get a "SCRIPT ERROR" white box. Not sure where I went wrong, it was working before i Imported it.
I'm not sure if the installation instructions mention this, but I was reviewing the code for the last.fm script, and it references:

code:
// @import "%fb2k_profile_path%\foo_silk\scripts\foo_silk.js"
// @import "%fb2k_profile_path%\foo_silk\scripts\foo_silk-lastfm.js"
Are these files present in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000\foo_silk\scripts ?

If not, let me know, I'll wipe my settings and try and configure it from scratch to work out what's going wrong.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

I wiped my foobar config, and tried configuring it from scratch, and everything worked perfectly for me - and this is with no residual settings or components or anything, completely blank.

I presume you're using the latest versions of all the components required as well as foobar2000?

Also, (and I presume you did since you said everything was working fine, but just in case) did you use the foo_silk window's settings menu before importing my theme? Screenshot is below.

If you forgot that simply re-import the foo_silk.fth layout file and then revert back to mine.

If none of these did the trick, could you fire up the console and find the error text there?

To add the console, turn on layout editing mode, pick one of the tabs on the left hand side (or add a new one) and just ad the "Console" panel.

Sorry that this isn't working too well, it's not something I've specifically gone out and made, it got organically cobbled together over a period of a few years, hence the less-than smooth finish.

Edit: Ah, just read your edit, could you paste the exact output?

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

coeur de pirate posted:

Also, is anyone else's lyric show panel coming up with "search failed" every single time? I updated to the newest .dll and it hasn't changed anything
Yep. Mine's not finding results either.

However: I updated to a new version of the component, (foo_lyricsshow2 or something, can't check exactly as I'm mobile) and that did seem to work alright, it was searching for some new lyrics. The only problem was it was behaving really irritatingly and basically just displaying the lyrics in a pop-up window instead of a panel (or a dockable panel like I currently use), so I got rid of it.

Hopefully this gets resolved soon, I really do love having lyrics by my music :sun:

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

krnhotwings posted:

I have a problem showing album art for albums with multiple discs... My directory structure looks like this:

artist/album/disc x

and cover.jpg is stored in artist/album

Using SimPlaylist, the album cover doesn't show up where it's supposed to be for these multi-disc albums. Is there something that I need to change? Can somebody paste what they have in the foobar Display preferences to find the front album art?
Try setting "stub image path" to your root music directory, and then %artist%/%album%/cover.jpg and see if that works.

quote:

e: Also, what character should we "officially" be using to indicate a delimiter, say, for tracks with multiple artists? foobar says it uses ' / ' as a delimiter in ID3v2.3 artist fields, but I just want to make sure that this is the way to go before I start editing a bunch of my tags.
For multiple genres, I use ";" (i.e. "Rock; Metal"), and it handles that properly. I'm not sure if this is correct or not. YMMV.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

The XKCD Larper posted:

Yeah its not very good though. And you have to hunt down the codecs yourself.
Nah, it's really really easy:

Converts all my FLAC etc stuff to q 0.40 m4a, on the fly when syncing my iPod. Great! Simply tick the box and select a bitrate if you want to transcode higher-bitrate MP3s (although this is lossy-lossy transcoding, and A Bad Thing, it degrades the sound quality a bit. But you've been doing this in iTunes already so whatever).

NeroAacEnc.exe is hosted by Nero, iirc, and I'm sure it's linked from the foo_dop documentation, but if you can't find it, post here, I'll upload mine.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

^ This is correct, but alternatively if you have some weird component that you want to have a panel for, but never see, for some strange reason, you can always create tabs and stick it behind there. Or an empty divider or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

Read posted:

"$100,000 main goal"

I wish they were going to make it open sores - it would be real baller to have a cross platform audio player that you could fork yourself and write stuff for

a goon can dream~~~

• Locked thread