Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

good luck kitten
Aug 18, 2004

Tripping the light fantastic

kidsafe posted:

I expect the 17yr to be significantly more candied and almost saccharine sweet since it's derived from 15yr single barrels that didn't make the cut.

Yeah, like I said I have not tried the 14. But the 17yr is very sweet as you described. I personally enjoy it since I'm a big rum drinker/sipper and a lot of the sweetness found in some of those rums has been imparted on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ah cool a new whisk(e)y thread, I missed the old one.

A few notes on the OP:

wormil posted:

The main types of whisk(e)y you'll encounter are:
Scotch Whisky - made from fermented barley in Scotland
This is not entirely correct. First of all if it's blended scotch it can contain any other type of grain (usually corn), not just barley. The barley is usually malted and in the case of malt whisky (be it single or vatted) always.

quote:

Tennessee Whiskey - similar to bourbon but sometimes filtered through charcoal, must be distilled in Tennessee
Practically speaking there are two: Jack Daniels and George Dickel. Both are charcoal filtered.

quote:

Single Malt - a whisky from one distillery from a single type of malt
Whisky from a single distillery, but can be various vintages and barrels mixed together. Always made from malt. (The single refers to the distillery, not the malt) Age statement on label is always the youngest whisky in the mix but may contain older (sometimes much older) whiskies.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

spankmeister posted:

This is not entirely correct. First of all if it's blended scotch it can contain any other type of grain (usually corn), not just barley. The barley is usually malted and in the case of malt whisky (be it single or vatted) always.

Thanks, somehow I got part of the definition of single malt mixed up with scotch. Will fix.

spankmeister posted:

Practically speaking there are two: Jack Daniels and George Dickel. Both are charcoal filtered.

Those are the two I'm familiar with although there are two additional distilleries listed in wikipedia and it says they do not filter, which is why I wrote "sometimes filtered". The other two are not sold in my state (not unusual, state run liquor sucks rear end) so I'm unfamiliar with them.

spankmeister posted:

Whisky from a single distillery

I meant one as single. Do any distilleries have multiple locations?

wormil fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 15, 2011

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

wormil posted:

Those are the two I'm familiar with although there are two additional distilleries listed in wikipedia and it says they do not filter, which is why I wrote "sometimes filtered". The other two are not sold in my state (not unusual, state run liquor sucks rear end) so I'm unfamiliar with them.
My bad, you're right.

quote:

I meant one as single. Do any distilleries have multiple locations?

Well you say "from a single type of malt", and I don't think the type of malt is in any way regulated.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

spankmeister posted:

Well you say "from a single type of malt", and I don't think the type of malt is in any way regulated.

You were right, I already changed the OP. I was under the impression that if it contained more than one type of malt it had to be labeled "blended malt" but after your post I looked it up and that is only if the malts come from different distilleries. Scotch is a learning process for me still (pun intended).

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

Remy Marathe posted:

Has anyone here tried Buffalo Trace's "White Dog Mash #1"? I almost picked up a half bottle last night but didn't want to blow $15 on a gimmick. Reading reviews on it today has piqued my curiosity again, I've only tried new make once before at a Bruichladdich tasting and I don't really remember what it was like, just that it was inoffensive.

I got a free sample of this at a liquor store once. I can tell why they were giving it away. Maybe some folks like it, but I really can't see myself in any situation in which I would drink this willingly. I'd rather spend less money and get a decent bourbon like Evan Williams 1783.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

More or less agreed, I bought the half-bottle tonight. Seems more a novelty item worth (one) try for anyone curious as to what unmatured bourbon tastes like.

Beyond that, I'm not good at describing tastes, but I guess I was expecting a sort of alcoholic, malty karo syrup, but what I got is more like a cheap vodka infused with corn and brackish water with notes of a recent yeast infection. Also brutal before adding water, as you'd expect from 60%. Can't see buying it again, don't mind having it around for others to try, and I guess I'd consider taking it camping if weight was a factor ;).

e; Next-day note, maybe I was unduly harsh- the taste grew on me a little with the second glass. Still can't say I see the vanilla or icing though, just corn, corn, funky yeast and corn. I keep thinking I smell/taste it today, as though it's seeping from my pores like a meal at White Castle.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 17, 2011

AgentONeal
Oct 14, 2003

Superhuman intelligences may have goals inconsistent with human survival and prosperity.
I went to a tasting event for the Buffalo Trace people, and rather than have us taste the White Dog stuff they had us rub it in our palms like a lotion and then sniff it. It smelled like corn.

When I tasted it, it had an interesting vanilla cake icing and corn flavor. Not my cup of tea, but it wasn't terrible.

I had a gift card to BevMo (where I also work) and bought a bottle of High West Double Rye!. I highly recommend it.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Remy Marathe posted:

like a cheap vodka infused with corn and brackish water with notes of a recent yeast infection

Sign me up! Sorry, I just found that description hilarious.

I live in VA, where our liquor stores are state-operated, and therefore have somewhat limited options. I've taken a shine to Evan Williams for my Manhattan-making needs, usually EW black label. Is it worth it to special order EW 1783? What's the difference?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I purchased a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel Bourbon on Friday to start my official bourbon collection and am really glad I did. Incredibly complex and smooth - I get lots of cinnamon and burnt sugar on the nose and the taste is very fruity with almost a candy corn quality to it with the cinnamon laced throughout. The body is full, viscous and unbelievably smooth. Really nice, this will probably be one of my go-to bourbons for nights when I just feel like having something on the rocks.

Also, does anyone have any experiences with Booker's? That was the other bottle I was contemplating before going with the Four Roses.

smn
Feb 15, 2005
tutkalla

kaldas posted:

Yeah, like I said I have not tried the 14. But the 17yr is very sweet as you described. I personally enjoy it since I'm a big rum drinker/sipper and a lot of the sweetness found in some of those rums has been imparted on it.

I went through a bottle of both and have to say I liked the 14yo more. Actually so much I had to get another bottle of it. The 17 was good but wasn't nuanced enough to justify the lack of robustness when compared to the younger one.

Windyblade
Oct 17, 2005

I hope we're still friends after I taser you.

Mikey Purp posted:

Also, does anyone have any experiences with Booker's? That was the other bottle I was contemplating before going with the Four Roses.

Booker's is my favorite bourbon by far, there's something intense about it that makes it unique. The flavors really just click in a special way. Even the vanilla, which I usually find to be either overpowering or not worth mentioning, actually adds something for once. It seems to be a love it or hate it thing for most people, but I say it's absolutely worth trying.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Windyblade posted:

Booker's is my favorite bourbon by far, there's something intense about it that makes it unique. The flavors really just click in a special way. Even the vanilla, which I usually find to be either overpowering or not worth mentioning, actually adds something for once. It seems to be a love it or hate it thing for most people, but I say it's absolutely worth trying.

Mine as well, though, at 121+ proof, I would recommend the application of an ice cube or a wee splash of spring water.

As for scotch, I like my scotch like I like my women:

Twelve years old and mixed up with coke

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I'm still relatively new to bourbons, so I thought I'd ask. I saw a bottle of Maker's Mark 46 at the LCBO, and it was $10 more than the regular Maker's Mark. Is it worth the extra $10, or should I stick with regular Maker's or Bulleit? The LCBO has a limited selection, but the only one I haven't tried yet is Woodford Reserve (the LCBO has a sparse bourbon selection).

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mikey Purp posted:

I hate to be the dissenting opinion but I disliked Bookers. Maybe it was a bad bottle but mine tasted like Beam Black with a heavy helping of dust. I love Four Roses Single Barrel, good choice, wish I could buy it in my state but I can only get the Small Batch.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

mojo1701a posted:

I'm still relatively new to bourbons, so I thought I'd ask. I saw a bottle of Maker's Mark 46 at the LCBO, and it was $10 more than the regular Maker's Mark. Is it worth the extra $10, or should I stick with regular Maker's or Bulleit? The LCBO has a limited selection, but the only one I haven't tried yet is Woodford Reserve (the LCBO has a sparse bourbon selection).

While it's a little more interesting than normal Maker's, you'd probably be better off with a more interesting and cheaper bourbon of some sort.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Zelmel posted:

While it's a little more interesting than normal Maker's, you'd probably be better off with a more interesting and cheaper bourbon of some sort.

Any recommendations? The LCBO doesn't have much (I once bought a Wild Turkey, not realizing that the LCBO doesn't carry the recommended WT101).

Ninja edit: they now apparently have a "Whisky Rocks" promotion, and they now list Four Roses for $29. I'm thinking that the next time I go, I pick that up.

Vampyr
Feb 27, 2004

mojo1701a posted:

Any recommendations? The LCBO doesn't have much (I once bought a Wild Turkey, not realizing that the LCBO doesn't carry the recommended WT101).

Ninja edit: they now apparently have a "Whisky Rocks" promotion, and they now list Four Roses for $29. I'm thinking that the next time I go, I pick that up.

I personally cannot justify the Makers 46. I find the flavor to be a bit off putting and would even prefer original Makers myself. I do recommend the Woodford Reserve, it is a fine sipping bourbon that is not terribly priced.

Edit: Punctuation

Vampyr fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 18, 2011

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Anyone familiar with Ardbeg Uigeadail?

I'm a Scotch newbie out to educate myself and this is next on my list. Previous was Laphroaig Quarter Cask which I really enjoyed.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

mojo1701a posted:

...only one I haven't tried yet is Woodford Reserve

Get the Woodford, it's the best bourbon in it's price range, one of the best bourbons period. Looking over LCBO's website... Bakers, Woodford, Four Roses Small Batch, Elijah Craig 12, Knob Creek, Wild Turkey 80

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Frankston posted:

Anyone familiar with Ardbeg Uigeadail?

I'm a Scotch newbie out to educate myself and this is next on my list. Previous was Laphroaig Quarter Cask which I really enjoyed.
If you enjoyed Laphroaig QC, I imagine you'll enjoy Uigeadail. I love both, personally.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Uigeadail is a cut or two above QC in my opinion.

It's a truly great dram.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Uigeadail is one of my favorites. I never really drank Islays until I had that.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Since I've started following this thread and decided to start up a proper whisk(e)y collection, I have been googling a lot of the names that get thrown around in here and almost every single time I am greeted with an online liquor store of some sort selling bottles for what seem to be a good 20% to 30% less than what I can find in any liquor stores here in NYC. Does anyone have experience with online ordering and/or recommendations for sites to purchase from?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I never used their online service and they didn't have it back when I worked there, but Binny's Beverage Depot of Chicago was and I'm sure still is a top-notch operation. There were certain states we couldn't mail stuff to because of their liquor laws and I imagine that's still the case, can't remember the list though.

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
I started on Glenlivet 12, was like $22 bucks a bottle from Costco so I figured that was a good entry point.

3 bottles down after 6-7 months, I like this stuff. Just went today for a refill and decided to try something different instead. Was looking at some other brands of 12 year in the same price range, but then saw they had a Lagavulin 16 Year on coupon from $64.99 down to $51.99. So even though its twice as much its on coupon, so I have to buy it right?

Appears looking around that its $75 at Bevmo, so it looks like a pretty good deal. About to pop it open. Have I now passed the point of no return where I'm gonna be spending this much every time?

Edit:

Costco also had this cool little looking age your own whiskey kit for $99 bucks

http://www.woodinvillewhiskeyco.com/products/age-your-own-whiskey-kit/

It comes with a little barrel, some glasses, and a couple bottles of un-aged whiskey. Not sure if its any good for anything besides what they give you or making your own or whatever but seems like a pretty cool little project. I didn't buy it because I didn't want my wife to kill me but I might take a look at it if they still have it later.

zonacat fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 20, 2011

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It might be fun sorta, but don't expect to make anything that actually tastes good.

good luck kitten
Aug 18, 2004

I tried a glass of Ardbeg's Alligator last night and it was very interesting. It had sweeter notes than most Ardbegs, while still having some of the peatiness. While I thought it was decent, I probably won't be going out of my way to have it again unless I come across a bottle for cheap (which is very doubtful).

Vampyr
Feb 27, 2004

zonacat posted:

I started on Glenlivet 12, was like $22 bucks a bottle from Costco so I figured that was a good entry point.

3 bottles down after 6-7 months, I like this stuff. Just went today for a refill and decided to try something different instead. Was looking at some other brands of 12 year in the same price range, but then saw they had a Lagavulin 16 Year on coupon from $64.99 down to $51.99. So even though its twice as much its on coupon, so I have to buy it right?

Appears looking around that its $75 at Bevmo, so it looks like a pretty good deal. About to pop it open. Have I now passed the point of no return where I'm gonna be spending this much every time?

Edit:

Costco also had this cool little looking age your own whiskey kit for $99 bucks

http://www.woodinvillewhiskeyco.com/products/age-your-own-whiskey-kit/

It comes with a little barrel, some glasses, and a couple bottles of un-aged whiskey. Not sure if its any good for anything besides what they give you or making your own or whatever but seems like a pretty cool little project. I didn't buy it because I didn't want my wife to kill me but I might take a look at it if they still have it later.

Yes, yes you do. The Lagavulin is fantastic, it is a strong peat smoke flavor and a nice mellow finish,I prefer it to the Laphroaig, and it is a perfect example of an Islay scotch. The fact that it normally costs 80 or so dollars and you can get it for 50, it really is a no brainer.

Wilitus
Mar 3, 2008
Lucien, lucien you should know.
So I started my foray into whiskeys by purchasing a bottle of Highland park 12 year old single malt, and well I liked it enough but now I'm looking for something with a little more smoke and robustness, any suggestions?

What I liked about the highland park was the smoothness and warmth especially.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wilitus posted:

So I started my foray into whiskeys by purchasing a bottle of Highland park 12 year old single malt, and well I liked it enough but now I'm looking for something with a little more smoke and robustness, any suggestions?

What I liked about the highland park was the smoothness and warmth especially.

One step above the HP in terms of smoke and robustness would be Talisker. I can recommend basically any Talisker, the 10YO is very good value especially. The 57 North or the 18 are fantastic but a tad pricey.

A few steps above that are Islay whiskies. I can recommend Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Lagavulin personally. I can't really decide which distillery is better, I kind of like them all. :shobon: They each have their characteristics.

Other Islays are good too like Bowmore, Bruichladdich, Bunnahabhain but these are less strongly flavoured. Caol Ila is also a peaty bugger but has more iodine which might not be what you're looking for.

There's several peated non-islays that are worth looking at, Benriach makes a few good ones, Connemara (Irish peated) is generally well-liked but is a bit lacking in body IMHO.

Wilitus
Mar 3, 2008
Lucien, lucien you should know.

spankmeister posted:

One step above the HP in terms of smoke and robustness would be Talisker. I can recommend basically any Talisker, the 10YO is very good value especially. The 57 North or the 18 are fantastic but a tad pricey.

A few steps above that are Islay whiskies. I can recommend Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Lagavulin personally. I can't really decide which distillery is better, I kind of like them all. :shobon: They each have their characteristics.

Other Islays are good too like Bowmore, Bruichladdich, Bunnahabhain but these are less strongly flavoured. Caol Ila is also a peaty bugger but has more iodine which might not be what you're looking for.

There's several peated non-islays that are worth looking at, Benriach makes a few good ones, Connemara (Irish peated) is generally well-liked but is a bit lacking in body IMHO.

Thanks alot for the reccomendations, I'll definitely see if I can pick up the Talisker 10 yo, then maybe upgrade to Laphroaig after that bottle.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Lagavulin is the only Islay that I just downright love, I don't know why it's just awesome. Right now having a small dram of Aberlour 12 year, got a bottle of the 18 that I am saving for new year's

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Picked up a bottle of Carriage House Apple Brandy (80 proof) for something a little different. It's distilled in copper pots here in North Carolina. Very nice.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Hey guys.

I got a thing at Costco today:

Except it's got a 12, 15, and 18. Not two 15's. They're ~$90 at Costco, don't buy it off ebay with two 15's.

DrPain fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 31, 2011

good luck kitten
Aug 18, 2004

Tried a glass of a 13 year old rye whiskey that was distilled in Baltimore, MD back in 1913. Never mind the fact that I was having this at 9:30AM (one does not say no when offered regardless of the time). It was incredibly sweet with some fruity aromas and an overall well rounded finish I thought. The guy that let me try it is so generous it's ridiculous; I was in his house to pick up some free rocks, martini, and snifter glasses that he had just lying around.

Here's a picture of the bottle:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

DrPain posted:

Except it's got a 12, 15, and 18. Not two 15's. They're ~$90 at Costco, don't buy it off ebay with two 15's.

Wow, that would be a $180.00 value here.

Vampyr
Feb 27, 2004
I just picked up a bottle of Ardbeg 10 because i found it for 45 dollars. I am an Islay fan. I was taken aback by the Ardbeg, it tasted great, a sweet roundness followed by a mouth full of smoke, but not overpoweringly so. I was wondering if any of you have drank the 10 and the Ardbeg Uigeadail? Is it truly more sweet and fruity, how is the level of peat, etc.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Hey Whisky Goons, I need a recommendation. A very good friend of mine has birthday coming up and me and some friends want to get him a (very) good Single Malt Scotch. He prefers peaty/smoky/salty/Islay flavors and in particular the Bowmore brand. He also recently grew fond of the Jura Superstition, so I guess the Whisky can be anything from mild in taste or very strong. What would be a good gift for him, priced around €100?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I don't know if anyone else did, but I just finished watching "Shakleton's Whisky"on Nat. Geographic. Apparently, a scotsman and antarctic explorer named Ernest Shakleton made some whisky and abandoned it on Antarctica in 1909. It was recently discovered, well over 100 years since being distilled.

Now, Mackinlays is making a blend that is supposed to near replicate the flavor. Anyone else heard about this/ had a chance to try the new whisky?