Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

rxcowboy posted:

Original JWB was a favorite of Winston Churchill, so you know what to do.

Chug that poo poo and then start insulting people.

While smoking a Churchill. It has to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Duckboat posted:

Also, I was gifted a bottle of Redbreast 12 that I haven't cracked yet. Anyone have much experience with it?

I love Redbreast. Only had it once and I somehow blew through the bottle. It's making it very hard to drink any other Irish Whisky. Except Middleton. Mmmm

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Easychair Bootson posted:

Laphroaig 10 is up to $45 here now, but somehow Lagavulin 16 has stayed at $66.

I've recently gotten back into bourbon and a friend put me on to Old Weller 107. It's cheap ($16) and good. Anybody else a fan?

Old Weller is pretty fantastic although I see it for more like 25 a bottle. 16 is a great price

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Picked up a bottle of Angels Envy (port aged version) and the last bottle the store had of Old Forester Birthday. I'm pretty excited. Happy Thanksgiving to me.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I got to try Lagavulin tonight. Holy poo poo was that tasty. If I liked that, what tasting notes should I be looking for in other scotches ? Smokiness?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What are the other things in that picture?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Are Islay scotches mostly like the smoky peaty whiskeys? I really like lagavulin and laphroaig. Are the other Islays similar?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
RedBreast. It's a bit pricier but easily my favorite Irish whiskey now

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

lexan posted:

I picked up a bottle of High West Campfire this weekend. It's a blend of bourbon, rye and peated Scotch. I quite liked it. I'm not a frequent Scotch drinker and I don't have the vocabulary or experience to give detailed tasting notes, but I appreciate the suggestion you guys have given to start writing down what I notice so that I can develop my palate and will start doing so. One thing I did notice was interesting to me: I had my first dram from a nosing glass, and the peaty and smoky Scotch flavors were very up front. The peat was the first thing I noticed and it was very dominant. I didn't notice the rye spiciness much at all, but the finish settled into the bourbon sweetness. The next dram I had from a rocks glass, and it was the opposite--the sweet bourbon flavor was up front, the spicy rye was there but in the background, and the peat was just a hint on the finish. I wonder if that's a result of the different surface to volume ratios of the two glasses, or a result of the nosing glass concentrating and directing the aromas. Either way it was interesting to see how two different glass shapes result in different flavors.

This sounds awesome. Curious - have you had Laphroaig? I'm curious how it compares.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Meaty Ore posted:

Not that Redbreast isn't worth buying. ;)

My absolute favorite Irish Whiskey.

What do you guys usually see it for? I usually see it around $50-$55. However, the other day I walked by a liquor store that was in the process of being renovated and had really stepped up its game with regards to selection. They are literally painting the trim while I'm looking.

The prices had all been bumped noticeably high. Redbreast was $75. Laphroaig 10 was $75. Laphroaig Caidreas (sp?) was $100. There were a few others that I can't remember that were all way overpriced. Walked right out.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I had last year's OF Birthday and I really like it alot.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I'm in Tokyo for the next few days and looking to try out some Japanese whiskys / buy some bottles that I can't get back in the states.

I'm generally a fan of Islays (smoke and peat) although I had a dram of this incredible whisky in Kyoto from a mt Fuji distillery that had a complex honey note. Evermore I think it was called?

Anyhow, I'm not too familiar with Japanese whiskys so I thought I'd ask here. What should I be on the lookout for? Any place in particular to scope out?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Well for my last night in Tokyo I went and found Zoetrope. I was super excited.

They were closed for a private event that night. Just my luck.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
You could look for the Makers cask strength. Would be a good gift if you can find it.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Arione posted:

makers is swill

Maybe read what the guy was requesting next time.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Re: the rittenhouse. Someone earlier mentioned it so I went and picked it up. Holy poo poo is that tasty.

Also - let's talk about old fashioneds. Whats your preferred recipe?

I usually do ice, bitters, a sugar cube, maybe a cherry if I'm feeling it, and whatever bourbon I've got around. Lately I've been trying different bitters.

Angostura - the standard. Good but boring since it's what you always get at bars.
Peychauds (sp?) - I really liked this alot.
Orange Bitters - can't remember the brand but this is ok depending on the whiskey.
Fee Brothers Peach - ehh not great on its own but better combined with the orange bitters.
Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel Aged - I just got this after reading about it. Unfortunately it's got SO MUCH cinnamon that it almost transforms the drink into a shot of fireball. Apparently they change the recipe every year which makes it tough to know what you're gonna get.

I'd like to check out some others. I wonder if the Aztec Chocolate is any good (Fee Brothers)?

You guys have any bitters you like to use?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Doesn't neat mean "with water" and straight mean "just whiskey"?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What about that rebel yell?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Neo_Crimson posted:

Regular, cheapo, Evan Williams is probably the first hard liquor I've liked. A week ago I tried the Single Barrel and it was terrible. Am I a whiskey scrub or is the Single Barrel just poo poo?

Also, how's Knob Creek's Rye?

The single barrel is actually really good for the price. It might be that you like sweeter bourbons. Do you like Makers?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I rarely see green spot at most US liquor stores. I've seen it much more frequently in Europe.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What are the chances I can find old forester birthday bourbon in / around NYC? I got a bottle 2 years ago and it was probably my favorite bourbon I'd ever had. Is it going to be as bad as finding Pappy?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Rittenhouse Rye. Get Rittenhouse. My new favorite Rye.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What part of the country is that? I feel like most single malts start at 50 everywhere I've been. That's pretty great.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I'm going to Ireland in September. I really like Redbreast, Middleton, and Jameson. Are the distillery tours fun? I think there's only 2 right? Anything else I should check out?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Do we have a tequila/mezcal thread? As a fan of Islay scotches, I recently discovered mezcal and hoooooly poo poo do I like it. It's got the smoke but with a sweeter agave undertone. Expensive though - seems everything is about 25% higher than its scotch equivalent (in terms of quality).

I've tried Del Maguey Chichicapa (my favorite), DM San Luis del Rio, DM Vida, and most recently picked up Mezcal Real Minero (pricey but good - huge smoke/earth flavors).

If you are an Islay lover, you owe it to yourself to seek out and try a smokey Mezcal. Also find it fits the hot summer weather a bit better than a big peaty scotch.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Does she know bourbon? Old grand dad. Otherwise Jim beam

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
OF Birthday Bourbon is one of my all time favorite bottles.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

emotive posted:

I'm a big fan of Powers and usually prefer it to Jameson. Tullamore Dew is pretty good, too.

Powers is great. I think at one point it was the most popular whiskey in Ireland? Check out the nicer malts if you can - I had the Powers John Lane and Three Swallows and really enjoyed both.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Vox Nihili posted:

So my girlfriend's company is having an impromptu whiskey tasting night tomorrow and she has been tasked with picking up "two $120 bottles." The company is paying for it.

Setting aside the absurdity of the price point specificity for a moment, does anyone have any suggestions that would fit the bill? Something with big, bold flavors suited to an amateur tasting would be great, huge peat bombs probably not great.

Aberlour Abunadh goes for about that much right?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Oh man Abunadh is like 110 at Astor Spirits in NYC. They're usually not that overpriced either.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I went to the liquor store this weekend intent on buying some more bourbon. I'm a fan of Bookers (but whyyyy is it so expensive now?), Four Roses, and Eagle Rare. Almost picked up a store barrel Eagle Rare, then saw the Blantons and really had to think.

But then - what's this? The Irish section - a new Sherry finished Redbreast?

Redbreast Lustau. No age statement - BUT supposedly it's 9-13 years which is a bit younger than standard Redbreast 12 but some bullshit about the Sherry butts means they didn't put an age statement. Probably this means younger whiskey as demand rises. Anyway - I put down the bourbon and went for the Lustau since Redbreast is my favorite Irish whiskey.

It. is. fantastic. I am terrible at tasting notes but I'm pulling alot of toffee out of the finish. It's a very refreshing, almost sweet twist on standard Redbreast.

I continue to be impressed by Irish whiskey. It unfortunately seems to be a touch too expensive at times, which is why I always forget it. But then I drink it and really enjoy it. I have a bottle of Jameson 12 at home that I really enjoy, and recently polished off a Powers John Lane that is in my top 5 whiskeys I think. But again, it was closer to $45 in Ireland, vs. $75 at the local store.

Anyway - if you see the Lustau and like Redbreast - check it out! I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What about Bookers? It comes in a big wood case and everything

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Redbreast.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Have you seen Redbreast Lustau? I made an earlier post about it. Thought it was awesome. Just finished my bottle actually.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I am a big RedBreast fan. I would sincerely like to know if I am crazy or if the Lustau version is actually pretty good. If any of you end up picking it up please let me know your thoughts!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I think Drammit is like untapped for whiskey

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

mentalcontempt posted:

The Redbreast is my favorite out of the bunch; I enjoy it neat.

One of us. One of us.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I had a 30 year old Bourbon at a wedding. It was awesome. They had a whiskey tasting table where you could try various whiskeys and the favor was a mini engraved tasting glass (I can't remember the name but the tulip type).

Anyway, you were only supposed to try it once but they needed to finish the bottle at the end of the night. Getting drunk on 30 yr old Bourbon was awesome. I don't think it's worth the price though.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Do it just so you can buy duty free Irish whiskey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Bushmills Black Bush is pretty great but it's not priced right in the US (similar issue for most Irish whiskey in the US). I enjoyed it alot in Ireland.

My favorite was probably Powers John Lane edition. THAT was some tasty whiskey.