Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Just ordered this for my Dad's Christmas present.

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/master-of-malt/master-of-malt-lowland-single-malt-whisky/

Pretty stoked to try it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I drank some mediocre scotch with ginger wine and it owned :colbert:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Is there anywhere I can still get a bottle of this Hanyu Final Vintage 2000 stuff? I love Japanese whisky and fancy it since it won the best of the year.

Also picked my dad up a bottle of Ballantine's 17 Year Old for Christmas since it's been doing so well in books and that.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You can buy this stuff online?

What whiskeys can't you buy online?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I always use Master of Malt and The Whiskey Exchange.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Can anyone tell me anything about this bottle I just found?

My dreams of drinking whiskey older than me is coming true.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

duckstab posted:

A whisky of that age with such a high ABV is usually a bit concerning, it means either poor wood or (much less likely) unusual maturation conditions such as very warm ambient temperatures. Longmorn would likely have been filling at 'still strength' in that era so at most it's come down 10-15%, which isn't a good sign.

Soooooo, it won't taste nice? :(

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

Current go to is Oban 14. Find it has a lot going on but still very smooth. Only a small peat flavour to me with a lot of fruit and a bit of salt. Lovely stuff. Not expensive.

Love sherry casked stuff in general. Lucky enough to have a 2012 yamazaki sherry cask which is my all time favourite in my collection but anything like that has just gone stratospheric and beyond it’s worth imo.

Tried a kavalan soloist sherry cask which I thought was good but maybe lacking depth. Redbreast 21 was good.

Just struggling to pick some new ones to try out for Christmas this year. Grabbed a bottle of Nantou Omar so far and now stuck with what else to try. I seem to lean towards foreign stuff as often find scotch overly peated but I know this is an incorrect generalisation I just need to find some things I like.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Made some shelves for my collection :)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

DoctaFun posted:

Glendronach 18 is fantastic, and the stuff you can buy right now is actually more like 24 years old even though it’s labeled as an 18 year.

If you like cask strength stuff I’d recommend Deanston 9 year Bordeaux finish or Aberlour A’bunadh. My batch of A’bunadh has the most wonderful mouthfeel I’ve ever had in a whisky.

I’ve never had it, but if you like Redbreast you could try their Lustau, which is sherry cask finished I believe.

Tried to get both of these. Above.
Deanston is completely gone.
The glendronach has gone up about 40% on the lead up to Christmas which is a pisstake. Hopefully will go down again in the new year.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Sorry lads I’m in the UK.
Also the a’bundah here is up 40% thanks to the new corporate overlords. People are not happy at all.
Crazy that some of the stuff we make is more expensive than all the way across the fuckin sea!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Nice piece of fish posted:

It's okay, you don't have to apologize, we forgive you.

Anyway, out of curiosity what is your actual £ price on the a'bunadh?

£80 now!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It’s absolutely loving disgusting as well.
It’s clear. And tastes like moonshine or something.
Just an absolute joke of a dram.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The Chita used to be £30 in supermarkets and it was okay but quite bland and just honey to me. I wouldn’t go mental for it or pay decent money. All the good well priced Japanese stuff seems to have gone :(

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Dang. Costs like $35 here.
My favourite juice for an old fashioned though!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

My wife got me some suntory “torys extra” for Christmas. It’s absolutely dogshit and the picture on the side seems to show it being mixed with soda. What can I do with it to make it more appealing!? The soda does nothing.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Redbreast 21 at the moment

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I have a single cube of ice with everything. It just seems to bring out flavours a lot more to my palette and just be a much more pleasant experience. But I think it’s purely personal preference. Nothing worse when some dork at a tasting or something tells everyone they’re doing it wrong.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Anyone had the Belvenie Caribbean cask?
I’m hearing a lot of absolute rave reviews lately.
I quite fancy something a little bit different to my usually sherry lead, none smoked stuff.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Weird hill to die on.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I adore gin. Probably have 50 bottles. My favourite is Ophir. Spicy and delicious. Not expensive either.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Glenmorange do some insanely good drams. I picked up a bunch when I went to their distillery.

This stuff is spectacular.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

Anyone have recommendations for port finished whiskeys that have reasonably distribution? The one bottle I have at home is the kavalan solist port cask, and it smells incredible and I quite enjoy it. The problem is that it's not really something you can get in the US, or at least not without ridiculous probably secondary market prices. The only widely available port cask finished whiskey that I know of is angels envy.

Bape Culture posted:

This stuff is spectacular.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Imo all Macallans are overpriced, because they're either great and wildly overpriced, or they're normally or slighty expensive but mediocre

I agree completely.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Pretty much any glendronach. Yamazakis. Redbreasts.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Virgin oak?
Also because they’re cheap as hell and there’s a ton of them and by law they have to be replaced every so often or something.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Spotted a bottle of Caribbean cask 14 in the supermarket. Can’t wait to try it. Every time I’ve looked on Amazon it’s been oos. Sounds right up my street

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Can anyone recommend any weird, heavily sherried drams? I’m thinking like from a country you wouldn’t expect. I’ve done Japan and Taiwan. Hoping to find something a bit under the radar. It’s for a gift :)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I absolutely love it. I find it’s got a little bit of everything going on. I always drink it with a single cube of ice though which seems to open it right up. I find it quite rare to have a bit of smoke/fruit/oak etc all together

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Glendronach is so so good. Enjoy!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Wow I’m surprised to read that! Quinta ruban is one of my favourite tipples at the lower end.
Feels chewy and lingers for ages. Almost like a dessert wine.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Because I can't help myself, I tried the Quinta Ruban and Nectar D'or again. I'm still not a fan, maybe something is wrong with me. :(

My palette is calibrated to figure out cocktail ingredients so maybe I don't appreciate the subtleties of non-Islay Scotch.

I think I just like anything sweet because i am a child

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I really rate spice tree

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Won Pappy 12 in our state lottery! :toot:

Wow congrats! I’d absolutely love to get my hands on a bottle.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Drink the glendronach op. It’s probably my favourite dram for the money. Amazing stuff.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’ve got some massive silicone cubes. Is it possible for me to make a ghetto version of this ? Hmm

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

How do I tell if my crystal is lead? I put some in my decanter last year and I really don’t want to pour it away lol

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Spice tree is insanely good imho. Can one of you knowledgeable guys decipher what’s in this one???

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It only says what two of them are unless I’m being stupid? I thought someone might know what the vague ones actually are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Get a Glendronach imho. I also love the Balvenie Caribbean cask 14 for that sort of money.