Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Acethomas posted:

I'm wondering if someone can take a look over what my local place carries and give me an idea of some brands / bottles that I need to try.
http://www.beveragewarehouse.com/search/?category_id=31

Four Roses Single Barrel - Sweet, carmelly and very, very good.

Wild Turkey 101 - Very affordable stuff with a big, spicy rye punch. One of my favorites.

Evan Williams Single Barrel - Probably the best sub $30 single barrel offering in bourbon. I haven't tried the 2001 vintage they have there, but if its anything like my 2002, its well worth the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
Anyone have experience with sub $40 Scotch whiskies? I've heard that Old Pulteney 12 is good, and also have heard good things about the Gordon and Mcphail bottlings of Highland Park. I think it'd be fun to try some of the cheaper stuff, if for nothing else, to ease the pain on my wallet.

In non budget news: This whisky, this god drat whisky. Wonderful stuff.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I've got Glenlivet 12 and Highland Park 12. Where would Redbreast 12 fit on the chart, bottom right corner? I was planning to try Laphroaig 10 next unless there are some other suggestions. I like everything I've got so far but I'm just at the point of trying to appreciate their differences.

Redbreast 12 is very mild, slightly "oily" on the mouth is how'd I put it. The finish is quick and disappears pretty fast.

Funny you should throw in Laphroaig 10 there, which I think would be the absolute polar opposite. Rich, smoky flavor and lots of peat. Wonderful campfire nose and a finish that lasts a long time. Now, heavily peated whiskys seem to be a "love it or hate it" kind of thing. So if you don't 100% like peat and smoke, I'd avoid Laphroaig. If you do like it, Laphroaig is one of the best. Someone else mentioned Ardbeg, which is also really good.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
Boy Gregorio, that's a hell of a lot of interesting stuff. Didn't realize Highland Park put out so many different bottles. I saw a bottle of their new "Thor" at the local store behind a glass case for the low, low price of $200. To me, it seems like its really pandering to collectors who either want to sit on it for twenty years or ebay it for a profit.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

More on topic: Can anybody recommend bourbons that are more like Elijah Craig 12? I've only really tried that, Woodford, and Maker's Mark as far as bourbon goes, the Woodford seemed too sweet for me, and I wasn't a huge fan of Maker's Mark when I tried it, but that was a while ago. I was thinking of trying Four Roses but I haven't found any yet.

Four Roses is pretty sweet, at least the single barrel is. You might want to try Evan Williams Single Barrel which is more oaky. I actually preferred it to EC12. In addition, if you're looking for some punch and spice, you might try Wild Turkey 101. It's probably one of the best values in bourbon at like $19-22 a bottle.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Quarter Cask but it was $83 after taxes

Oh my god, I'm so sorry. What is with your state?

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

GramCracker posted:

Did anyone see this?

Jim Beam 1795

Good god. No matter how good, I don't think I could ever swing $175 for a bourbon.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
Anyone have suggestions for a good whiskey to make Rusty Nails with? I was thinking about a cheap-ish blend like Johnnie Walker Black or something. I've had them at bars before, but have virtually no idea what whiskys pair well Drambuie.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I think I'll go with the JW Red. Probably saved me a few bucks, and since it's going to a party, I'd say its likely the whole thing will be drained anyway. I'll save the good stuff for me!

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Jibo posted:

I just have to say that I thought I had spoiled myself on Laphroaig cask strength and was forever doomed to think that all other Scotch was bland. I picked up a bottle of Ardbeg Corryvreckan last week and I think I'm in love. Now I just have to convince the girlfriend that spending $90 every two weeks on Scotch is within our budget.

Funny you should mention the Laphroig CS. I've had an inkling to pick one up sometime soon, but I'm torn between that or Ardbeg 10. Unfortunately, even with the extra money I have this time of the year, Corryvreckan is still way out of my budget. I just want maximum peat explosion for a reasonable price!

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
Ardbeg seems to be the new "cool" whisky, especially with their more collector's minded releases like Ardbeg Day and Supernova. I just hope all this hububb doesn't drive prices up for their entry-level spirits. :ohdear:

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
So I finally did it - I grabbed the last Laphroaig Cask Strength bottle at the store.

And holy cow. Drinking it without any water is like letting a firework off in your mouth. Huge, sweet peaty explosion with a super long finish. Tapers off to light smoke and wood. I can say I was definitely NOT disappointed. For $60.00, I think this was a real steal. I don't think I've ever had a whisky with a more characteristic flavor.

It might be fun to do a side by side with the little bit of quarter cask I still have left and compare. Thanks for the recommendations, guys!

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Banannah posted:

I tried the Bowmore 9 year old recently and holy poo poo did I enjoy it, even though my friend said it tasted like antiseptic. What else should I try now? More Islay malts? My experience of whisky boils down to mostly blends like Famous Grouse and Teachers, Glenfiddich (I quite liked the 15 and 18 year when I tried them), and Jura Origin which I enjoyed but found slightly too harsh. Idealy I'd like something that costs less than £40 a bottle but I'll spend more if it comes highly reccommended.

If you like Islay and peat, then I have to reccommend Laphroaig 10. It's a cheap(ish) entry level malt that really gets the peat thing down well. If you're willing to spend about $10 more, you can go for Ardbeg 10. It's pretty peaty, but not as blunt as Laphroaig and it's very good too.

Also, Highland Park 12. It's very very good, with a touch of smoke, but a lot of really fruity, honey-ish character. In fact, if you're not 100% sure about peaty stuff, I'd just go with HP. It's a great whisky.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Ragingstiffballs posted:

Johnny walker blue label

Whenever I mention to people that I'm interested in whisky, they inevetiably ask if I've tried Johnny Walker Blue Label. When I tell them I haven't they seem disappointed. Now, I've read the reviews and know that by all means its a pretty mediocre whisky with a hell of a lot of branding. Has anyone tried it?

Also, god drat, I could buy a Bruchladdich Octomore for virtually the same price. Or two bottles of Lagavulin 16.

NightConqueror fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 9, 2012

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Green Label is disappearing from the North American market and only being sold in Asia, where it's fairly popular, apparently. A shame, really, because I think Green Label was my favorite of the Johnnie Walker family.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Allantois posted:

What reason is there to drink cask strength without any water?
All the alcohol just burns the nose and palette making it hard to appreciate all the flavors. To each their own.

Tried without water first, then added a few teaspoons afterwards. You're absolutely right, by the way, that the flavors overall are muted without the addition of water. I drank it strictly for the impact value of trying a high-proof, peaty liquor. It really gave off more of its flavors and smells after sitting with water for about 5-8 minutes.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Aramoro posted:

Talisker 10 us a great one, also Jura Superstition is a personal favourite of mine.

How's the Superstition? I've heard that the regular Jura is a generally uninspiring single malt.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

I turned 21 last month, and purchased my first bottle of bourbon based on conversations in this thread: Bulleit (95) Rye Small Batch.

For my first bourbon, I think it's delicious! It is a little too strong for sipping without being cut, but I enjoy the contrast of the sweet honey smell with the burnt sugar and really bright taste, and the smooth vanilla finish.

Based on my enjoyment of this bourbon, do you have any suggestions of what to try next? I am a student, so please nothing over $60 a bottle.

Rye whiskeys, in general, are a little more spicy and intense. I haven't tried Bulleit Rye, but I'd bet it'd make a great manhattan or old fashioned.

Here are my tried and true recommendations:

Four Roses Single Barrel ($37-40) - Sweet on the nose, ends spicy
Evan Williams Single Barrel ($28-33) - Probably the best single barrel value bourbon
Elijah Craig 12 ($28-30) - Fairly mild, unassuming, but very pleasant to drink
Wild Turkey 101 ($18-22) - One of my favorites, but it is definitely a hot whiskey. Lots of spice, but very enjoyable to sip. Plus you can't beat the price.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Aramoro posted:

Could it have been a Cask Strength one? I've never had that experience from a Bruichladdich

The quality of whisky can vary from bottle to bottle, even if it is rare. I had a glass of Glenmorangie Lasanta Sherry Cask that had an awful sulfur taste to it to the point of me almost pouring the class out.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

zonacat posted:

So what's the consensus on how low quality you can go with a bourbon for a mixed drink and still make a drink that tastes good? Does it matter at all?

Bourbon is interesting in that you can go to the so-called "bottom shelf" and still find really great whiskeys that can be drank straight up if you want. For example, Very Old Barton 100 Proof runs about $11.99 to $13.99 and has more character and flavor (in my opinion) than some "top shelf" bourbons like Maker's Mark. That's not to say it doesn't have a few rough edges, but it goes monumentally well in mixed drinks too.

Some other great value Bourbons are:

Old Grand Dad 100 proof
Old Weller Antique 107
Evan Williams
Wild Turkey 101 (a personal favorite)

So yes, buy cheaper if you're going to mix, but it doesn't necessarily mean you have to buy rotgut either. There are some great values out there.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

zonacat posted:

Hooray for saving money on mixed drinks so I can buy more Lagavulin 16 at Costco before it disappears again.

What the gently caress? Your Costco stocks Lagavulin 16? For how much?

All we get out here is their Kirkland Brand 100 proof bourbon and a smattering of cheap scotches.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Capt Murphy posted:

I'm looking to build up my collection, does anyone have some small batch recommendations or lesser known stuff that doesn't get the love it deserves? I've got a lot of love to give bourbon.

Definitely give Four Roses Single Barrel a shot. It's probably one of the best single barrel bourbons. Also, Evan Williams Single Barrel is a tremendous value for the quality of spirit.

Also, for anyone interested, apparently Islay distillery Bruichladdich has been bought out by Remy-Cointreau . Seems like some people are concerned that the overall quality of their product will suffer now they're part of a corporation.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

3. Wild Turkey Rare Breed The sheer power of thing masks what seems to be a quite enjoyable spicy bourbon. Probably need to give it another throw before I condemn it forever, but given the price/performance mark Blanton's is better.

I've heard so many mixed things about this bourbon that I've always been hesitant to buy it. I'm a huge Wild Turkey fan and was surprised that a barrel-strength version of their stuff was so inconsistent. From all the ooh-ing and ahh-ing about Blantons in this thread, I might have to give it a shot after I finish my Four Roses Single Barrel.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

spankmeister posted:

More seriously: It's called "small batch" but it's still very much mass-produced and the difference between batches are negligible. Just get a bottle. :)

Yeah, single-barrel offerings are generally the only ones where you'll see actual variability between batches. In fact, I would suggest you upgrade to Evan Williams Single Barrel, because it is cheap and fantastic. I've never had a stinker from them.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
So with all the peaty stuff I currently own, I thought it might be fun to branch out a bit. Can anyone suggest a good, sherry-influenced scotch? I've tried the Glenmorangie Lasanta which I thought was just so-so.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
Dear god, so many good suggestions. I think I might give the Aberlour A'bunadh a shot , or maybe a Glendronach. The A'bunadh is pretty reasonably priced too (~$60), which was a surprise.

I've still got my eye on an Ardbeg Uigeadail too, but I've got to limit myself to one whisky a month!

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

lavaca posted:

Has anyone else tried High West's Campfire? It's a blend of bourbon, rye, and Scotch. Although the predominant flavor is "smokey bourbon", you definitely get sips that taste primarily of one of the three spirits. I like to think of it as booze for when you just can't decide what you want you want to drink.

I'd also like to commend High West for focusing on blends rather than releasing $50 bottles of hot, immature whiskey like most of the distilleries that have sprung up in the last few years.

I've been dying to try this, just for the novelty factor of it. We've got plenty of High West around here, but none of their Campfire blend.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
Had a chance to try three different single malts tonight:

Glenfarclas 10 - Slightly smoky, remided me a lot of Highland Park 12 actually, except it was a little more bold and didn't have the sweet honey\heather notes. Tasty, but not very distinct. Drinking it was like "hum! That's a scotch all right!"

Wild Scotsman Glen Grant 12 - An independent bottling of Glen Grant. Very citrusy on the nose - a big hit of grapefruit. A really fantastic dram with slightly smoky notes, but very mild and sweet. Probably my favorite for the night.

Auchentoshan Three Wood - Very sweet on the nose, like caramel candy. In terms of taste, this was probably one of the sweetest I've ever had. The finish had unmistakable notes of vanilla and maple syrup. Very interesting. Something I'd buy to give to those who don't like scotch.

NightConqueror fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 19, 2012

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Found it at another place for $18 while I was looking for 1783, so I ended up grabbing a bottle. According to this, it's hand-selected by the store from a certain barrel, not sure exactly what it means.

Honestly, I'm kind of used to a stronger middle flavor, is that the smoothness, or is it just kind of bland compared to other whiskey? The other stuff I've had is cheap evan williams and wild turkey 101, so I don't really know smooth.

Store "hand selections" generally means somebody picked a barrel from the distillery to sell exclusively through their store. Kind of like a single-barrel deal, I guess. I've been seeing it a lot more often.

Buffalo Trace, I've found, is a good, solid bourbon but nothing exciting. Wild Turkey is really hot with a big rye finish and is generally more interesting (I'm also biased, because its one of my favorites). I don't think you'll find anyone saying its a bad whiskey - it's just there.

Here's a video of some guys enjoying the thread favorite, Blanton's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biWqHoGU5R8

NightConqueror fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 21, 2012

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
For people new to scotch, I'm not 100% sure I could suggest a really peaty Islay whiskey. The flavor tends to be very intense and off-putting to a lot of people (even among some scotch drinkers)

The Highland Park 18, however, is a great reccomendation. I adore the 12 year old and the 18 is a lot more nuanced and pretty interesting as far as single malts go.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
Slightly related to this peat-talk:

I just had a Talisker 10 today and it was quite different compared to the phenolic Laphroaig and Ardbeg that I'm so used to. The smoke was much more mild and woody - almost like a cherry wood smoke. Very much less "in your face" and definitely a lot more subdued. It was very interesting and I think I'd definitely buy it in the future.

Also, I'd kill to try an Octomore, but short of buying a bottle of it, I don't think I've got a chance.

NightConqueror fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 31, 2012

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
What's the general opinion on Kilchoman? I know since they're new a lot of their stuff is pretty young, but I've heard some good stuff about the Machir Bay and the Sherry Cask bottlings.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

kidsafe posted:

All of their stuff is young, they don't have a whisky over 7 years old. I've only had their 2009-2011 releases and they are quite good for what they are. Pretty sweet, minerally, hint of lemon cream or meringue, bonfire/wood ash smoke similar to Laphroaig.

Whisky to avoid: Bunnahabhain Toiteach. Absolutely one dimensional tarry peat and, slight processed sugar sweetness. The rep claimed it was 7-8 years old, I would have pegged it even younger. All the distilleries seem to think enough peat will complete mask how otherwise undrinkable their young whisky is.

It's tricky nowadays because there's so many more whiskies with no age statemenet that also carry a high price - as if they were top level aged single malts. I haven't heard about that particular Bunnahabhain but I have heard that some of pricier NAS such as Laphroaig Cairdeas, Ardbeg Blasda are only average in quality. I hear Macallan is going to go NAS on a bunch of their whiskies too.

EDIT: There's also the annoying trend among bourbon distillers to sell unaged corn whiskey at full price.

NightConqueror fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 4, 2012

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

wormil posted:

Just cracked open a bottle, first impression it is sweet and oaky with more pepper than I expected from a wheated bourbon with a bit of sour corn whiskey finish. Cost was $30 with a $10 rebate which I promptly mailed in. At $30 I probably wouldn't buy it again but if it drops to >$25, definitely. I would buy this in a heartbeat over Makers. Incidentally the bottle looks nicer in person.

Sounds like a steal at $20. Might give it a shot, because I haven't had a wheated bourbon since Maker's Mark, and I'm not the biggest fan of it.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
Just as a different opinion: I think, overall, JW: Black is a better spirit, but Glenlivet is better for people who aren't used to scotch. Black Label has much more of a bittersweet, smoky flavor to it. Glenlivet is more citrus and fruit.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

wormil posted:

edit to add more content: I'm at the bottom of my bottle of Larceny bourbon and my impression hasn't changed much. The 6 year in the blend is too immature and conflicts with the other flavors. It's like someone took 1/3 each of Woodford, Makers, and Old Grand Dad; you get sweetness, harshness and pepper all in one swallow. That said, I have no doubt there will be fans of Larceny, there are already. But for me, I already have favorites at $20 & $30 and I'm not likely to choose this over those. MSRP is supposed to be $25, I paid $30 (w/$10 rebate) and the price has dropped to $28, hopefully it will keep dropping.

When you can get pretty great bourbons for as cheap as $13-$15, having a mediocre one priced at $30 is a pretty hard sell.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
Very Old Barton Bottled in Bond is also another tremendous value bourbon - sitting at about $14. It's pretty nice straight up and it makes a great Manhattan\Old Fashioned too.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Midorka posted:

I've started using water instead of ice for my bourbon and I'm much happier.

Good man. I remember graduating from coke + bourbon to ice + bourbon then to water + whisky, and boy what a difference. While some people may like ice, if you're really in it to savor some of the flavor you have to have it room temp. Cold kills flavor.

Also, all this talk about Rittenhouse makes me want to go out and buy a bottle and whip up some manhattans this weekend.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Midorka posted:

How much water do you add? I saw a "how to drink scotch" video some master distiller made, I forget the distillery but it was an oddball guy who throw much scotch on the ground, but he seemed to add a lot of water. He said he added enough to dilute it to 30% to get the most amount of flavor. I've been following this personally.

Depends on the strength of the spirit. With a 100 proof bourbon, I might add 1-1.5 teaspoons. Just enough to help calm the alcohol vapors. If I'm drinking something cask strength, I might add up to 1 to 2 tablespoons. The trick is to add enough to help open up the aromas and flavors without drowning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Jetfire posted:

Upon further inspection, he does that "throw it on the floor" thing in every single video, so I'm not really sure where to draw the line on when he's hamming it up and when he's entirely serious. The advice he's giving seems real enough, though. That terrifying statue in the background of the second half of the video is something else, though.

He's out of his mind if he think I'm going to be my tossing whisky on the floor.