Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
Cardhu isn't anything to write home about, but its pleasant. For some reason its super popular in Spain and has just recently seen a resurgence elsewhere in the world.

As for crowd-pleasers you might want to try mild speysiders like Glenfiddich or Glenlivet or maybe a light Highlander like Glenmorangie. Personally, the drink I give to friends is always Compass Box's Great King Street blend. It's really mild, fruity and pleasant and it seems like nearly everyone I've given it to loves it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
Speaking of Rye....

This stuff is pretty nice. I'm not sure it warrants all the craziness that goes along with limited release whiskey, but it's a drat good rye on its own merits.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
I've got a fresh bottle of Aberlour A'Bunanh waiting for me tonight.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Trip report to come

Ugh. I saw this at the store and wanted to puke. I can't imagine what stuff is in that bottle.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

rxcowboy posted:

I want to have a world whisky day at my house. The goal would be to select a bottle that isn't the pinnacle, but more of an easy drinker to showcase what each region can do.

For America, I'm going with Buffalo Trace. Highland Park for Scotland, Yamazaki 12 for Japan. In that vein what should I try for Canada and Ireland? Not the priciest, looking for a good, middle of the road easy to enjoy whiskey for the two areas.

Forty Creek for Canada and Redbreast 12 for Ireland imo.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

door Door door posted:

Finally tried the Laphroaig 18.

I've been tempted to try this one because the price in Michigan is suprisingly reasonable ($84.99), however at that price point there are some other whiskies which I already know I'd enjoy more. I think Laphroaig really shines at a younger age. The 10 YO Cask Strength is where it's ideal, I think.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
So I just completed the entire bourbon trail (plus Buffalo Trace, which isn't on the trail anymore). Overall, despite a lot of it feeling like a big marketing ploy and tourist-trap stuff, it was really fun. Oddly enough, I think my favorite stop on the whole trip was Copper and Kings - a fairly new American Brandy distillery. We ended up buying two of their bottles.

Highlights: Four Roses Warehouse and Bottling Tour, Buffalo Trace, Gorgeous Woodford Reserve Distillery\Campus

Lowlights: 2 hour long (boring) Bulliet tour

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
[double post]

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Big Bidness posted:

Wow, what the hell could they say for 2 hours? "Our bourbon comes from Four Roses and we add stuff to it, our rye comes from MGP. We bottle it. Please sit quietly for the next hour and fifty nine minutes."

Mostly talking about the old Stizel-Weller distillery they bought and are using as a museum\ aging facility. There is very little to no actual distilling going on there. They have a single experimental still they use from time to time, but it's basically dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
I'm a little sad the price of Redbreast has skyrocketed in the past few years. I remember when it was around $40-45, and I thought it was a good deal at that price point. I'm seeing it now for $60-70, and there's just a lot more interesting stuff at that level.