Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Alright, I have a bit of a bar story that involves whiskey etiquette I need advice on.

Last night I went out to Smoke in Dallas with two friends, and we grabbed a drink while we had a 30 minutes wait. They infuse some liquors, so we each decided to have their Maple Wood infused (bunch of planks sitting in a lot of whiskey) George Dickel Rye rimmed with brown sugar and orange peel. On the menu this is 8 dollars. We order three and the bartender asks us, "on the rocks or neat". We get two rocks and one neat.

The bill comes back and he charges us 10 bucks per drink. He explains this very quickly that since we ordered neat and on the rocks, they use a 1.5oz pour vs a 1oz pour. I should mention the two on the rocks were overflowing with ice. My friend took this as acceptable and paid the bill unquestionably.

I went to the manager before dinner to discuss it, and she said the same thing. I asked her how to order the 8 dollar version and she just said no one has complained about it before. She was polite but sticking to her guns and after a 2 minute conversation brought us another round of drinks on the house to placate me, but I was still fairly irked about the whole thing.

Am I crazy? On the rocks means with some ice and neat means no ice. Since when does a restaurant use those terms to bait and switch charge a different price than advertised?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

swimming anime posted:

This has come up before and it's a bit more complex but ultimately mind-boggling all around.

From the point of view of a bartender, terminology and ordering is very vague and nonstandard. it's different in every place. As an example of how we do things, the menu lists all of our spirits with a certain price. Say for example Bulleit Bourbon is listed as 10$. This is for a neat or rocks pour, which is two ounces for us. While for whiskey most people are drinking it that way, we'll always get people who look at the tequila menu, and then as for, say, 6 shots of Don Julio. The shotglasses aren't two ounces, so the price we charge is lower than what's listed. (Say, 8 dollars per shot instead of 12)

So basically the bar you went to assumes that most people who are ordering spirits are ordering shots, and thus lists everything on the menu at shot(1oz) prices, then upcharges for neat/rx pours. There are obvious advantages and disadvantages to each strategy. The advantage of listing the shot prices is that it seems cheaper and so dumb drunk bros will be more willing to buy all their little buddies 10 shots. The disadvantage is pissing off people like you who are ordering neat but there's no indication anywhere that you'll be charged more. At my bar we list the higher price because it's just better service. Nobody will ever be upset to be charged less, but they will be upset to be charged more. There's plenty of ways that Smoke could make it better. List both prices in columns like DICKEL WITH MAPLE WOOD 8/10 with a header explaining... or having a "neat and rocks pours are such and such more" at the bottom of the menu or something like that. But menu design is hard and getting morons to understand what numbers mean is surprisingly hard, let alone drunk morons, so while you are totally right to be peeved at how they do things, understand that there are reasons and that likely for every comped drink they have to give you they probably sell 100$ extra patron with lime and salts.

E: Also understand that menu design is often done by people who are never on the floor, and confusing or lovely practices or design always just ends up being the service staff's problem. So try to be understanding if you can, as the poor server or bartender or manager might be getting yelled at over this multiple times a night, and the office manager who revises the menu once every six months will never know or care.

Thats a pretty drat solid explanation, thanks. I've never run into this before so it was definitely confusing. Everything else at Smoke was fantastic, just an oddity to start the night that I hadn't run into before.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Recommend me a bottle. I'm in dallas Texas, and I just remembered my love of whiskey that is heavy on the wood. And I mean heavy. Garrison brothers and balcones single malt in one night makes me want to hunt that style down. What do you guys recommend? Bonus if it isn't at balcones or garrison bros prices.