Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stratego
May 6, 2007

Horn posted:

I recently won a raffle for the chance to purchase a rare bottle at MSRP from a local store. Is there anything from this list I should really go for? Right now my top choices are Willett 8Y, George T Stag, EH Taylor, WT Masters Keep, Jack Daniels Twice Barreled, or Russell's 13yo. I'm not familiar with most of these but I do love WT101 and Russell's reserve. I've had EH Taylor before and it was quite nice but not so great that I wouldn't want to try something new. I'm thinking Willett 8 unless there is a real gem I'm overlooking.

William Larue Weller

Don't get the Willet 8 unless you're planning to flip it. (Don't)
Get the WLW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratego
May 6, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but what is the point of Baker's 7 when Knob Creek single barrels from the same distillery are older and higher proof? Are the Baker's supposed to be "nicer" cherry-picked barrels or something, or is it just a worse product?

Not everyone wants 120 proof products.
These people are mistaken, but they exist.

stratego
May 6, 2007

Carillon posted:

Friend of mine drinks mainly makers 46 but is open to other stuff, he's doing me a favor and I'd love to get him a thank you bottle, any recs on what might be a nice upgrade bottle to enjoy?

Maker's basically only has the single mashbill. So, to stay in the same house, you'd get the Cask Strength, or the wood finishing series (which just ended, and BEP was released, but I'd recommend BRT-2 if you can find it). If they dig wheated, you could go look for one of the Larceny Barrel Proof releases. The last year or so of them have been really tremendous for the price.

stratego
May 6, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

As an American who really likes Highland Park 12, is this worth it? I have 2 more hours at Heathrow

Or this

I really like their single releases, expensive, but you're getting it at cask strength.
I've got the Michigan Renaissance City release and a Chicago Binny's pick release. I think it's some good HP.

stratego
May 6, 2007

poisonpill posted:

What’s the best scotch for $50?

Highland Park 12 is 55 near me and I have a hard time picking something else for that.

stratego
May 6, 2007

Hakarne posted:

Thanks, that Four Roses description sounds right up my alley so I'm more excited to try it now. I was hesitant with 1920 due to the higher proof, but if it works to bring out the flavor more like with EHT I'm all for it. It's amazing how the higher proof manages to feel smoother with less ethanol burn, I've been learning a lot by trying all these different bourbons!

Edit: Also, I guess the premium I paid for EHT wasn't as bad as it could have been. I got it for $110 yesterday after some exaggerated hemming and hawing to take it down from $130. I checked another store today and they wanted $200 for it :stare:.

If you find yourself in possession of OF 1910 and 1920, you are required to make yourself a glass of 1915 by combining the two.

stratego
May 6, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Trying to find a 100 proof burb that I can have a couple of bottles of that isn’t impossible to restock. I blind taste tested knob creek 9 year, heaven hill bottled in bond, and four roses single barrel.

Four roses won, bottled got second (almost as good, but the fall off was much faster). And knob creek was a distant 3rd.

Four roses is the easiest to get, but I’m surprised it beat heaven.

Next I’m going to do buffalo trace, blantons and eagle rare. To figure out my “nicer but lower proof sipper. Maybe add a michter's sour mash in there as well for a sub 100 proof). I already own a bottle of Blanton’s and eagle rare, but I’m curious if I will actually prefer them over buffalo or Michter’s.

After that, moving onto figuring out what kind of scotches I want stocked in my home bar!

Find out when your Local Liquor Store gets their 1792 BiB store pick. Then buy a case of it. Worked for me.

stratego
May 6, 2007

bloody ghost titty posted:

Wait, so r/bourbon is sourcing and bottling its own juice, or is someone on reddit buying lots of finished goods, blending them in their house, and shipping out to redditors who venmo them?

It's a release that r/bourbon's t8ke worked on with Barrell Craft Spirits.

https://sharedpour.com/products/barrell-t8ke-grey-label-infinite

stratego fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratego
May 6, 2007

adnam posted:

Out of curiosity the other stuff on that site seems awesome (aficionado group) mezcal bottles, are those worthwhile?

T8ke (Jay, from whisky raiders), also runs the aficionados group for tequila/mezcal releases. Bring from Wisconsin his first love is brandy, but he also loves agave spirits. He partners with shared pour to sell/distribute stuff. You should check out his YouTube channel.
And check out the aficionados group site - he will alert you about upcoming releases, if you're inclined.
Aficionados group website

He's a tremendous guy, responds to emails creepily fast.
I haven't tried many of those releases, but I trust his pallet and tasting notes.