Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Carillon posted:

I dunno, I like Baker's a whole bunch, more than Basil.

That’s why I wrote two and not three?

The placement is Baker’s >>>>>>>>> Basil Hayden’s > Booker’s >>>>> Knob Creek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

spankmeister posted:

Anyone tried the revamped Isle of Arran yet?

Picked up a bottle of 10yo for cheap today. (28 euro). They revamped the packaging which now looks very stylish, natural and understated imo.
But more importantly, they went to 46%, unchillfiltered and natural color. Fantastic! I haven't tried it yet but looking at the color it seems like it has some sherry cask influence. It's too dark to just be bourbon casked for a 10 YO Scotch.

Nowadays I don't buy anything under 43% anymore really. 46% is the standard, 43% the bare minimum and 40% means I don't buy it unless there is a good reason.

Arran was already decent even in the old guise, but yeah, even better now I suppose.

I think it's important to remember than Arran has a fairly temperate climate much of the year compared to the rest of Scotland, so it's entirely possible that their whiskies mature at a faster clip than stuff racked elsewhere.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Testro posted:

Pulteney's one of those dangerous 'cheap' bottles where you can drink 3/4 of it in an afternoon without realising it.

If you're a raging alcoholic, maybe?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
IIRC a lot of Stitzel-Weller juice was stored in stainless steel tanks as both distillate and bourbon that had been aged to a certain standard. How do we know Glendronach juice wasn't handled the same way?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

spankmeister posted:

I don't think the laws governing scotch whisky allow for that.

They definitely do. Scotch can be transferred to tanks at any time...whether for storage, transport, vatting/blending, or any other reason. It just needs to be accounted for in the age statement (if there is one.)

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
St. George made a single malt whisky that was distilled out of a brown ale mash brewed by Sierra Nevada. It was interesting, kinda skunky like beers can be.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Quiet Feet posted:

Got myself some Redbreast 12y as an early birthday present. I like it but I'm kinda still making sense of it. Seems a bit sweeter and stickier than other Irish whiskeys I've tried.

Redbreast is pot distilled, which some argue leaves more character from the mash/wort in the distillate, but really it mostly comes down to who is controlling the process...

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Y’all are drinking the wrong IPAs and pairing the wrong flavors with peaty whiskies. With a peaty whisky is probably the only time I truly enjoy high cacao dark chocolate. Citrus is another good pairing for peat IME.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 6, 2020

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Vox Nihili posted:

That's insane but I respect it.

I see you’ve never had Simon Brooking take Laphroaig 25 (or 30) out of a boot and hand-feed you squares of dark chocolate.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Comb Your Beard posted:

I had that years ago, for some reason I like this more. But yea it is similar. I got on the Grouse bc of how popular it was in Scotland.

Famous / Black Grouse is good.
Black Bull is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

nwin posted:

I tried four roses small batch this weekend and really liked it. Extremely drinkable. I’d say this is my go to when I can’t find Buffalo Trace. Too bad it costs $10-15 more here and I can never find Buffalo Trace.

Now try the Single Barrel.