Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wilitus
Mar 3, 2008
Lucien, lucien you should know.
So I started my foray into whiskeys by purchasing a bottle of Highland park 12 year old single malt, and well I liked it enough but now I'm looking for something with a little more smoke and robustness, any suggestions?

What I liked about the highland park was the smoothness and warmth especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilitus
Mar 3, 2008
Lucien, lucien you should know.

spankmeister posted:

One step above the HP in terms of smoke and robustness would be Talisker. I can recommend basically any Talisker, the 10YO is very good value especially. The 57 North or the 18 are fantastic but a tad pricey.

A few steps above that are Islay whiskies. I can recommend Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Lagavulin personally. I can't really decide which distillery is better, I kind of like them all. :shobon: They each have their characteristics.

Other Islays are good too like Bowmore, Bruichladdich, Bunnahabhain but these are less strongly flavoured. Caol Ila is also a peaty bugger but has more iodine which might not be what you're looking for.

There's several peated non-islays that are worth looking at, Benriach makes a few good ones, Connemara (Irish peated) is generally well-liked but is a bit lacking in body IMHO.

Thanks alot for the reccomendations, I'll definitely see if I can pick up the Talisker 10 yo, then maybe upgrade to Laphroaig after that bottle.