Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ah cool a new whisk(e)y thread, I missed the old one.

A few notes on the OP:

wormil posted:

The main types of whisk(e)y you'll encounter are:
Scotch Whisky - made from fermented barley in Scotland
This is not entirely correct. First of all if it's blended scotch it can contain any other type of grain (usually corn), not just barley. The barley is usually malted and in the case of malt whisky (be it single or vatted) always.

quote:

Tennessee Whiskey - similar to bourbon but sometimes filtered through charcoal, must be distilled in Tennessee
Practically speaking there are two: Jack Daniels and George Dickel. Both are charcoal filtered.

quote:

Single Malt - a whisky from one distillery from a single type of malt
Whisky from a single distillery, but can be various vintages and barrels mixed together. Always made from malt. (The single refers to the distillery, not the malt) Age statement on label is always the youngest whisky in the mix but may contain older (sometimes much older) whiskies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

wormil posted:

Those are the two I'm familiar with although there are two additional distilleries listed in wikipedia and it says they do not filter, which is why I wrote "sometimes filtered". The other two are not sold in my state (not unusual, state run liquor sucks rear end) so I'm unfamiliar with them.
My bad, you're right.

quote:

I meant one as single. Do any distilleries have multiple locations?

Well you say "from a single type of malt", and I don't think the type of malt is in any way regulated.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Uigeadail is a cut or two above QC in my opinion.

It's a truly great dram.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wilitus posted:

So I started my foray into whiskeys by purchasing a bottle of Highland park 12 year old single malt, and well I liked it enough but now I'm looking for something with a little more smoke and robustness, any suggestions?

What I liked about the highland park was the smoothness and warmth especially.

One step above the HP in terms of smoke and robustness would be Talisker. I can recommend basically any Talisker, the 10YO is very good value especially. The 57 North or the 18 are fantastic but a tad pricey.

A few steps above that are Islay whiskies. I can recommend Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Lagavulin personally. I can't really decide which distillery is better, I kind of like them all. :shobon: They each have their characteristics.

Other Islays are good too like Bowmore, Bruichladdich, Bunnahabhain but these are less strongly flavoured. Caol Ila is also a peaty bugger but has more iodine which might not be what you're looking for.

There's several peated non-islays that are worth looking at, Benriach makes a few good ones, Connemara (Irish peated) is generally well-liked but is a bit lacking in body IMHO.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Don't forget green spot, probably the best Irish I've tried.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ben Nevis posted:

Bought this at the beginning of summer for hot weather drinking, and I was pretty impressed. It was very tasty.

Nice user name.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The tube types hold WAY less than the hip flasks so there's that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

I'm also working my way through a 750ml of 40 Creek. 40's not exactly Man Fuel, but it's a fantastic accessible Whisky. Especially delicious in a sufficiently dark coffee.

I've tried Forty Creek and it's one of the better Canadian Whisky's I've tried.
Canadian whisky in general isn't really "man fuel" because the style of whisky in Canada is very light.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Killer robot posted:

The wood characteristics are a pretty major part of what makes American whiskeys, as I understand it.

Absolutely, since the laws surrounding Bourbon dictate the use of new white oak barrels every time, whereas with Scotch there is no such requirement and consequently the re-use of barrels is very common.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kenning posted:

The crazy thing about Scotch barreling is how a fundamental character of the whisky has changed due to seemingly unrelated economics. A couple hundred years ago the vast majority of Scotch was aged in old port, sherry, or Madeira barrels, since those Iberian fortified wines were insanely popular in Britain and were being imported en masse. Rather than pay to ship back empty barrels, people would sell them dirt cheap to the distilleries. That gave the Scotch a particular character.

Fast forward two hundred years and the market for Iberian fortified wines just ain't what it used to be, but now we've got the American bourbon industry churning out piles and piles of barely-used barrels all the time. Suddenly flavors from the barrel have a lot more oaky vanilla and less of the round fruitiness of the wines. Pretty cool stuff.

Yes, and it's even gotten tot the point where due to the shortage in sherry casks, some heavily sherried whisky expressions (like old-style Macallan) are importing barrels of sherry, then dumping out the contents and filling it with distillate.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

muscat_gummy posted:

So my boyfriend suggested that I buy him some good whiskey for Christmas, specifically bourbon. Any recommendations? I'm looking to stay in the $40 - $60 range. I don't usually spend more than $20/750ml, so I'd really like to find something that's at least a good deal.

He said bourbon, but should I look at scotch too? I'm in Texas so I will be buying this at Specs (http://specsonline.com/) and it looks like most bourbons they have aren't over $20 ish.
If he specifically wants Bourbon, don't get him Scotch.

fake edit: Wow that website is terrible.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There's tons of good choices here but i'd get him Lagavulin 16 YO personally. It's a peaty Scotch from Islay and one of the better ones at that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

muscat_gummy posted:

Thanks for the recommendations! :) I went to Specs with the intention of buying the Lagavulin 16, but then the guy there recommended Ardbeg Uigeadail after I told him what I told this thread (likes Talisker etc). Edit: He also thought the Lagavulin would be good, but came running up to me at the register when I was about to buy it to tell me that the Ardbeg might be better.

Excellent choice, I like it a lot. :) The Uigeadail is Ardbeg that has been "finished" in sherry casks for 6(?) months, which imparts a sweetness to the otherwise smoky briny Ardbeg.

It works very well.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 13, 2011

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Can't go wrong with Highland Park 12! A great dram and it's one of the cheaper Single Malts.

e: reading comprehension, derp. You've already tried it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm a snob when it comes to whisky, I don't really consider Canadian whisky proper whisky, since most brands mix in neutral grain spirit.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Turnquiet posted:

Costco has a three bottle gift pack that includes Dewars 12, Dewars 18, and Dewars Aberfeldy 12 single malt for $99. What do people think of those three?

Eeehhhh.... Maybe get the Aberfeldy separately, forget about those two blends.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

zonacat posted:

Had 2 gift pack choices at Costco.

Went to pick up the Glenlivet 12, 15, 18 variety pack for $99.99.

Next to it was a Highland Park 12, 18 2 bottle variety pack for $115.

Went with the Highland Park because I've had a few bottles of the Glenlivet 12 already and wanted to try something new, and I keep reading good Highland Park things in here.

Did I do the right thing?

Absolutely, nothing wrong with glenlivet, but it doesn't hold a candle against HP, imho.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Balvenie is a fine whisky but comparing it to Laphroaig??? Nah, it's both single malt scotch whisky but really the styles could not be further apart within those bounds.

kidsafe posted:

I don't know though...I think I'd choose the Glenlivet pack based on bang for the buck. $100 for three bottles vs. $115 for two. Glenlivet 18yr is no slouch and the 15yr French Oak is an interesting diversion (much like HP 15yr is a diversion from the rest of HP's core range, too bad it isn't included in the gift pack.)

I glossed over the part where the HP set was two, and the 'livet set was 3 bottles. On second thought the Glenlivet set was probably the best deal. Glenlivet 18 and 15 French oak are quite excellent. Still I'd take an equivalent HP over them any day. :)

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 30, 2011

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Had some Yamazaki Sherry Cask and after that some Ardbeg Uigeadail. What were your new years drams Goons?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

Yay, a new whiskey thread!
Bourbon :words:
I suggest you try Pappy Van Winkle.

quote:

As for scotch, I am far less experienced. I like the Balvenie doublewood, which besides the taste I really like because the aforementioned liquor store sells it for $32 a bottle! They also have the Balvenie Signature for $36, would you guys recommend that for an extra $4? I like the Glenfiddich 15 I have, and The Dalmore 12(I don't like this quite as much as the doublewood). I have found that I don't like the peaty scotch's, I have tried some Talisker 10 and it was hard for me to finish it.
Try a Higland Park sometime. It has some peat, but it's not as peppery as the Talisker. I suspect the pepper has put you off, not the peat necessarily.

quote:

I also got a bottle of Jameson 12 special reserve from a friend, so I'm anxious to try that out. I haven't had any irish whiskey besides regular Jameson. If I like it I might have to check out some other varieties like RedBreast or something.
Redbreast is in a completely different league than Jameson, so if you don't like Jameson then don't be put off to try Redbreast, Green Spot or Bushmills Single Malt or something.

quote:

Also, I was just thinking of how hard it would be to start a new distillery to make and sell scotch. I mean aren't you looking at 10-12 years before you can even sell product? That's a long time and a lot of operating cost you have to eat before you can make any money.
Whisky can be legally sold as such after aging for three years. There have been a few upstart distilleries the past few years like Kilchoman, Penderyn, Amrut etc. and they've all started selling after 3 or 4 years.

e: not sure if Amrut has just started distilling or if they've been at it for some time.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 3, 2012

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

I would love to try this, but I haven't seen it any stores around my house. This is normally pretty pricy too right?
For bourbon, yes it is pricey.

quote:

Do you mean it's in a different league than Jameson's normal offering, or just any Jameson in general? I know Jameson is marketed pretty hard and is thus pretty 'popular', but is the 12 year not any better than the normal stuff? I'll definitely try out the redbreast sometime though.
The 12 YO is better than the normal offering, but yes, Redbreast is in a whole other league from whatever Jameson offers, IMHO.

quote:

I guess I just haven't seen many scotch's sold that advertise anything less than 8-10 years aged. And I know geographic location has a lot to do with how quickly the whisky ages, and comparing years isn't apples to apples between different distilleries. But is there much of a market for 3 year aged scotch? I'm not talking American whiskey or canadian, but scotch. It would be pretty rad to start your own distillery, but it also makes sense why so many of the distilleries are so old. Pretty daunting task to put up money for 3+ years before you can really sell anything. Do a lot of the distilleries sell off a portion of their product after 3-7 years to be used in blends or for other purposes or anything?

Generally speaking, if it's less than 10 years they will just omit any age statement. And most of the young whisky produced by the established brands does go into blends. But I doubt if a distiller is just starting that they will be able to sell their young product to blenders. In any case small independent distillers that have just started will generally not be interested in selling to blenders, but they want to sell their product as single malt.

Taking Penderyn as an example, it's a distillery that started 6-odd years ago in Wales producing malt whisky. Once their product reached 4YO or so they started bottling it, and quite successfully, it's rather good. I wonder how the 10YO will be in a couple of years.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Killer robot posted:

To be a little more detailed on Canadian whisky, the thing is that it's not really terribly defined. They're usually mostly corn based, but there's no requirement for them to be. They often are called "rye" but don't actually have to have rye either. They need to be barrel-aged, but it doesn't need to be any particular type of barrels so may or may not add flavor. It can be distilled, as Kenning says, to nearly pure alcohol before that aging, which reduces the grain character. So really it's totally up to what the distiller wants to make, as long as it's made in Canada. Crown Royal isn't a bad one but isn't amazing, there are doubtless better brands I'm not familiar with, but at the lower end you're basically getting brown vodka that at best is mixing material.

One of the things that sucks about Canadian whisky is that they can blend in neutral grain spirit after aging.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think we can conclude that the vast majority of Canadian whisky is crap. Sorry Canada :canada:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

LogisticEarth posted:

So I got some of those "whisky stones" for Christmas. Does/Has anyone use them here? I've read they're supposed to chill the spirits by a few degrees without making it super cold and without watering it down. Might be helpful as my apartment tends to flucuate between 70-80F even in the winter (I don't control my heat), and my room-temperature stuff always seems a bit "hot". Putting straight whiskey on ice always seems to kill the flavors for me, so I avoid it.

I don't use them as I always drink at room temp, but it's better than ice I suppose because it doesn't water down your drink.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jetfire posted:

It's just we keep all the good stuff to ourselves. :colbert: Keep on drinking that Canadian Velvet (trans: bluurgh), I'm pretty good with my Forty Creek here.

Actually I've only ever bought one full bottle of Canadian whisky, and it was Forty Creek.

But Forty Creek is the exception unfortunately.

Have you tried Glen Breton btw?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A $240 bottle of Jameson is probably good but nothing beats Redbreast 15 or even the 12.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pork never goes bad posted:

That said, for some of the tip-toppest Irish whiskies topping out around $150 try Middleton Very Rare, Connemara 12, or Tyrconnell's top end offerings. Redbreast is also very good, the 15 year in particular.

ETA - if Redbreast is what you consider the pinnacle of Irish whisky, you owe it to yourself to try Middleton.

Never had the pleasure, but experts would disagree with you about Midleton being the pinnacle, instead Redbreast is widely regarded to be the best, by professional whisky tasters.

So, if I come across a bottle for a reasonable price (not likely) or find one in a bar for a reasonable price (slightly more likely) I'll be sure to try it out.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spandexcajun posted:

I had a glass of Beefeater on the rocks at my wife's grandparents house sometime ago, grandpa informed me it was from his first marriage, in the 60's! It tasted the same as any gin I have ever had, although I am not a big gin fan.

So far one of my favored single malts has been Glenlivet 18, I am also a big fan of the 12 have been drinking it for years before trying much else. I tired Highland Park 12 and 18 and thought they were just ok. Like Balvenie Doublewood quite a bit and am working my way though a Balvenie caribbean cask, jury is still out on that one. I also fancied a Aberlour 12.

I guess I am all over, but if someone could tell me where I might go assuming Glenlivet 18 was my best where should I look next?

Well by the looks of it you like Speyside whiskies, I suggest the Glenlivet 15 French Oak or the Glenfiddich Solera Reserve, Macallan has some very nice offerings like the 12YO Fine Oak. These are all rather light but rich in flavour.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Killer robot posted:

Best thing about high proof whiskeys is that a little water and you have exactly what the 80 proof version would be anyway.
This.

Higher-proof whiskies are better value.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

wormil posted:

After all the grief you gave me over putting an ice cube in bourbon. :colbert:

I believe, but I may be mistaken, that I said that adding a splash of water is A-OK but that adding an ice cube dulls your tastebuds first of all and second of all adds way too much water.

But if I didn't say that, well I said it now. :v: Small splash of water is fine, ice cubes are still a crime. :colbert:

But drink your bourbon however the gently caress you want, I don't really care in the end ;)

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 25, 2012

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NightConqueror posted:

Had some Laphroaig 10 tonight with another friend who's a fan of scotch. The stuff was unbelievably smoky, woody and peaty - really wonderful, unique flavor. Totally hooked.

Then he bought a Macallan 12 which I tried and I was like "oh..."

Once you go black peat, you can't go back.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah the problem is also that you should start with the lightest whisky first, then work you way up to the heavier ones.

Drinking a 'froig before a macallan is the exact opposite of what to do.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Seconding the Four Roses Single Barrel recommendation. It's the bourbon that made me interested in bourbons.

It can vary from bottle to bottle because each barrel is different, but I haven't had a bad bottle yet.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Anybody have experience with Speyburn? I saw it at the store around the same price point as Glenlivet.

For that money I think Glenlivet has the edge.

e: The speyburn is like the $5 handle of vodka of the single malts. It's like THE cheapest SM I think.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hypnolobster posted:

I picked up a Highland Park 12. The aroma is absolutely astonishing. It's a gigantic clover honeybomb. It's honestly just about the only thing I can smell. Even the honey sweetness comes across in the aroma.

I think I'm in love :swoon:

I'm drinking one right now. :cheers:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's not incredibly special but for $26 it's a good deal.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

wormil posted:

Got an email yesterday from Woodford announcing Double Oaked will be available the first week of March. This will be their regular offering of what was the Oak Finish Master Collection. Great news for those of us who loved it. Hopefully it will be available in my state. Suggested retail is $50/bottle.

Cool, I hope it makes it across the pond.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

d3rt posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I tried Glenlivet and Glenfiddich 12 and enjoyed it. Then I bought laphroaig and can't say the same. It tastes like campfire :(

You can stay with the light stuff for now, but someday you'll graduate to the manly stuff. :v:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I like Japanese whisky. I do get the feeling that there's a difference in philosophy which you can taste.

In Scotland it was more or less luck of the draw where you'd build your distillery, how your stills were shaped, how the water was etc... If you were on a peat-rich island you'd dry your malt with peat, if not, you'd use something else. Took a lot of experimentation with different kinds of malts and barrels and distilling to get it right. It wasn't an exact science but it turns out that for the most part it worked out good and you got a nice whisky.

It seems to me that the Japanese tried to copy the success of the Scotch distilleries. They are very meticulous about their whisky, with importing stills from Scotland made to exact specification and such. (Something distilleries in Scotland do now too, of course). Taking a very calculated approach to get the exact kind of distillate they were aiming for.

I find that you can taste the meticulous care in the quality of Japanese whisky, but it lacks a certain character, it's almost too well-rounded. Scotch whisky may have some imperfections here and there, but it adds to the character of the dram.

If y'all get what I mean. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Schpyder posted:

I haven't tried it yet, but I do know that it's a Beam product, and I'm not particularly fond of any particular Beam bourbon, so I'll probably just pass on it entirely.

Have you tried any of the Beam bourbons that don't have Beam on the label, like Knob Creek? I prefer woodford over knob but it's not bad.