Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Anyone try the new Grouse yet?

The Naked Grouse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah I'm looking at local prices around €30, which puts it in Monkey Shoulder territory. (Probably the market they're going for anyway).

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

Hmmm, I've honestly never had any Grouse products, what would you guys compare them too? That's a blend correct?
It's a blend, yes.

I don't really know what I'd compare Grouse products to, I only know that it's probably my favourite of the "big" blenders. The Black Grouse for instance that came out a couple of years ago is a cracking dram for the money.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Why did you buy the Blue Label anyway?

Because it's "the best"? (Because it's not)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I found it to be more interesting than necessarily enjoyable. It's a whisky you drink to explore what levels peat can be brought to in whisky. Not to kick back relax and have a nice dram.

If you save it for a special occasion you might be disappointed.

This is just my own opinion of course.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

TenaciousTomato posted:

$40. Bottled in 2010 = 14yo. Love me some scotch :cheers:

It doesn't work like that, whisky stops aging once it's in the bottle (unlike beer or wine) so that's a 12YO like it says on the label.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The yellow label is a blend anyway, so stay away from that, there are much much better bourbons at that price point.

That being said, I really like the single barrel.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Aglet56 posted:

What's a good absinthe/herbsaint/whatever liquor for a Sazerac? The best Sazerac I ever had was made with herbsaint, but does absinthe or whatever work better? Are there any specific brands I should be looking out for?
In any case don't get Hill's, Van Gogh or Tabu, it's grain alcohol with anise and food coloring.

Traditionally the Sazerac is made with herbsaint but that has more to do with the prohibition on actual absinthe I think.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

"[ts posted:

xenophobe"]
On the off chance you're in the US, where did you find that Yamazaki? Even the normal 12 yr is hard to find where I live right now.

I'm not. ;)

I got it here: http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/yamazaki-sherry-cask-whisky/

But the Sherry Cask was a limited run, so I doubt you'd be able to find any, sorry dude. :(

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bruichladdich makes gin? Hm, interesting.

Anyway I haven't tried that particular Bruichladdich yet, I've tried some of their other offerings (of which there are many different kinds) and found them to be inconsistent. This being entirely "new" spirit it might not have that problem.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

attila posted:

Pretty much. I think you can have a gin out the door in a few months versus a minimum of a year for bourbon (at least Kentuck bourbon).

Probably a lot easier to distill something to no flavor and add the botanicals in than to produce a flavor profile that's then aged as well.

With Scotch Whisky of any kind it needs to be aged for at least 3 years to be legally sold as Scotch Whisky.

And although it's legal at 3 years, the magical number for a single malt is 10 years usually.

(Although I know a couple single malts that are very good at a younger age)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Those tasting medals are pretty much worthless outside of marketing potential for the brands themselves, IMHO.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm tempted to try it, but with something like Black Bottle.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Always Pappy van Winkle, if you can find it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Holy Christ, that's 200-300 dollars a bottle here(!!). I suspect the Australia tax is at work on that. Unfortunately that's a bit much for my pocket.

Hwaaaat? Crikey! The 10YO?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I may be misunderstanding the marketing of the related brands. The only stuff that is sold as 'Pappy Van Winkle' is the 20 and 23 year old. The 10 year old is Old Rip Van Winkle which clocks in at $145.

Looks like it's a grey market style importer as well.

Oh right, I had forgotten about that.

It's good but I'm not sure if it's $145 Australian good.

Grey import sounds about right, that's how I get it here in Europe as well.
(But I paid a much more agreeable €60 if I recall correctly, which is a tad expensive for a 10YO bourbon but eh.)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

paint dry posted:

I bought a bottle of Glenlivet 15 as some kind of desperate attempt to make myself like whisky, but it hasn't worked :(

To me it tastes just like Famouse Grouse, which is the only other one I've tried, and which I hated. I'm a Scotsman, I'm supposed to love this stuff!

Edit: and I put a ton of water in it. Sorry, this isn't really a "DERP DERP HOW DO I DRINK THIS" post. I'm merely lamenting my terrible sense of taste.

The only recourse is to try an Islay. You'll either fall in love with it or you're no true scotsman someone who doesn't like whisky.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I still have an unopened Yamazaki SC. :c00l:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

toby posted:

Not much of a bourbon guy huh? I haven't had that Bruichladdich but I have had their Octomore, it's worth trying

Not really comparable. The Octomore was an experiment in how puch peat they can cram in a whisky. Regular 'laddie is peated but not to the extreme levels of octomore.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

AcidRonin posted:

I have a question, I recently decided to get into Whiskey and one thing i have noticed is when i buy a bottle, Doesn't matter what sort, scotch etc.. these weird almost tiny "fuzzy floating things" (I know right? what a description) in the bottle after a day or too. Is this just stuff getting trapped in the bottle when i open it? I don't notice it in other spirits, it seems like it is only my Whiskey's.

Is it fairly cold where you store your whisky? Because those fuzzy floating things are proteins that fall out of solution when the temperature drops. It's pretty normal. If the whisky warms up again they will disappear.

It could also just be some particulate matter that ends up in the bottle if the whisky hasn't been chillfiltered. This is a good thing.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I'm also a scotch newbie. My first bottle was Redbreast 12 and just recently got Glenlivet 12. I don't think I have much experience to describe them other than they're both good in their own way. I'm waiting to see how the WA liquor store closure shakes out at the end of the month before I try anything else.
Redbreast isn't Scotch, it's Irish. :)

quote:

Both bottles I got recently have a plastic top and cork bottom. I thought it was normal. Is that what you mean, or is it only a tapered cork and nothing else?
"Corked" in this context means that the contents of a bottle have taken on the flavour of the cork. It usually happens with wine, and is caused by a fungus in the cork.

It has been known to happen to spirits too.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pork never goes bad posted:

Metric fuckton of :words:

This is an excellent post, thank you.

Btw where can I order one of those kits?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Symbolized posted:

Has anybody tried the Finlaggan OR? It's a house brand whisky from Trader Joes'
I don't think this is correct. Well, TJ's may have taken it as their house brand but the "Vintage Malt Whisky Company" that bottles the stuff doesn't produce it especially for them, afaik.

quote:

and it tastes drat close to good Islay younger aged batches. There's a bit of speculation that it's a younger Lagavulin. To be honest I could care less where TJ's is getting it from, as it's quite good if a little rough on the tail end. But it beats out all other scotch in terms of money/value. Try it, its <$20 a 750 and it'll smoke your socks off.

It's excellent stuff for the money and I for one really really like young Islays because of the sheer punch-you-in-the-face peat they have. A downside is usually a near-absence of finish. It's a short, powerful smash of peat and then it disappears almost completely.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 2, 2012

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

biglads posted:

Finlaggan was young Caol Ila a couple of years ago. It could be anything from Islay now, but is unlikely to be Ardbeg or Lagavulin.

I've heard mixed reports on where it's from, like ususal, but I did find an interesting bit here: http://www.whisky-distilleries.info/Finlaggan_EN.shtml

quote:

1) Finlaggan Old Reserve comes from one Distillery and one Distillery only. It is a completely consistent product. The only thing that changes is the date of distillation from year to year and the palate of those who taste it.

This is a quote from Brian Crook who works for owns the company who bottles Finlaggan.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jun 3, 2012

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NightConqueror posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I think I'll go with the JW Red. Probably saved me a few bucks, and since it's going to a party, I'd say its likely the whole thing will be drained anyway. I'll save the good stuff for me!

I would go with Famous Grouse because in my mind there is pretty much no reason to go with JW red, ever. It's got the name but not the quality while Grouse is also half decent a whisky.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NightConqueror posted:

Funny you should mention the Laphroig CS. I've had an inkling to pick one up sometime soon, but I'm torn between that or Ardbeg 10. Unfortunately, even with the extra money I have this time of the year, Corryvreckan is still way out of my budget. I just want maximum peat explosion for a reasonable price!

If that is what you want, get the Finlaggan CS. It'll carpet-bomb your palate with peat for a budget price.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jibo posted:

As a side note, I've got a friend visiting from England in a couple of weeks. I know nothing about customs and am wondering if I can have her toss a bottle of Scotch in her luggage for me. Also if someone can recommend something (sub $200) that can't be found stateside, I'd appreciate it.

One 1 liter bottle is OK, any more and she'll have to pay tax.
On the upside she can get some from the tax free shop at the airport in the UK.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah Ardbeg has been "cool" and "premium" for a while now and it annoys the crap out of me.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've seen a €5500 euro Macallan in the liquor section of some small neighbourhood supermarket in Berlin. It wasn't a high-class neighbourhood or anything.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ragingstiffballs posted:

Johnny walker blue label

:frogout:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NightConqueror posted:

Whenever I mention to people that I'm interested in whisky, they inevetiably ask if I've tried Johnny Walker Blue Label. When I tell them I haven't they seem disappointed. Now, I've read the reviews and know that by all means its a pretty mediocre whisky with a hell of a lot of branding. Has anyone tried it?

I have, and it does not live up to the hype, AT ALL.

It's kinda nice and velvety in it's mouthfeel, and it has some good flavors, but it just disappears almost instantly. There's no finish.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pork never goes bad posted:

Blue Label tastes more like Crown Royal than Scotch. It's been made to be smooth above all else. So it's got very little flavor more assertive than silky and caramely notes, little finish, and the alcohol kick is masked by, well, something. By the mouthfeel? Does glycerol mask perception of alcohol?

I think so but you're not allowed to add it to whisky.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

kidsafe posted:

I have no issues with Black Label or Gold Label, and am a little sad that Green Label will eventually become restricted to Taiwan and maybe Duty Free.

Wait, what?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NightConqueror posted:

Green Label is disappearing from the North American market and only being sold in Asia, where it's fairly popular, apparently. A shame, really, because I think Green Label was my favorite of the Johnnie Walker family.

Well, that sucks. Green Label is arguably the best of the line.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Of the above options kidsafe gave, I vote for Talisker 10. It's a cracking dram in it's own right, and it has enough peaty characteristics that I think you'll enjoy.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NightConqueror posted:

How's the Superstition? I've heard that the regular Jura is a generally uninspiring single malt.

It's a lot better than the standard bottling IMHO, but it's still a divisive whisky. Some people like it, some hate it. I don't really like it all to much but some people do.

The thing with Jura is that they bottle it too early. The 15YO is miles ahead of both the standard 10 and the superstition. It's just not really available and quite expensive.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

smn posted:

Do you mean the wine-cask finished Paps series 15 year olds? But you're right about the age, seems like Jura needs a few more years in the cask. I remember tasting the 10, 16 and 21 side by side. The 10 was interesting but immature, the 21 already a bit too mellow, but the 16 was lively and just mature enough, a clear favourite.

I don't know why Jura is so badly regarded, they must have bottled some really weak batches that I haven't tasted or something. The Prophecy is my current favourite Jura, the boutique barrels have been wonderful too.

Yeah I meant the 16. :)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I haven't tried it yet but I heard their new 10YO is good.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I used http://www.masterofmalt.com/ to get the Yamazaki Sherry Cask, they have some other interesting stuff as well.

But generally the duties on alcohol are more expensive in the UK than in Holland, so if I buy a bottle of whisky at my local shop it will be cheaper than buying it directly from the distillery in Scotland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jakabite posted:

Just invested in the first single malt I've ever purchased for myself. Fancied jumping right in to an Islay and they had no qc left. Tried an Ardbeg 10 but thought it was quite expensive for its age and went for a Bunnahabhain 12, seemed to have a nice and fairly subtle peaty note and quite a sweet full body. Anyone else tried this one, any thoughts?

Yea Bunnahabhain is probably the least peated of the Islays, and is more or less the "old" style of Islay before big peat came into vogue.

The Ardbeg 10 is a great whisky, don't let it's age fool you.