Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Was home for the weekend and my parents had a bottle of Benromach Traditional that they'd been given as a present. I don't recall ever trying a Speyside before but I actually really liked it. I think it's going to be a good stepping stone to Islay malts so may end up biting the bullet and getting myself a Laphroaig 10 to try out soon enough but before then I will see what Christmas brings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Had a good Christmas in terms of whisky and bourbon collecting. Managed to acquire a bottle of Bulleit which I very much enjoyed on Christmas Eve, followed by unwrapping a bottle of Springbank 15 and a bottle of Tamnavulin 12. I'd never tried a Campbeltown whisky before, and the nose reminded me instantly of Talisker. However the taste of Springbank is altogether different. A much smoother experience than Talisker and one I would highly recommend.

Now Springbank I've heard of, but the bottle of Tamnavulin was a complete curve ball for me. I didn't really know what to expect, having only tried one Speyside before (Benromach Traditional) but I was pleasantly surprised. It's an extremely smooth dram and after looking up the distillery, I'm glad they resumed production back in 2007. Well worth a try.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

The Glenfiddich 15 Year Solera Vat has a surprisingly sweet palate initially so I would definitely say it's a good place to start if you don't mind paying a bit more to find a drink you enjoy. I don't know what the availability is like (or rules on importing) but Dalwhinnie 15 is also a really nice whisky to try. If you're after something a little cheaper, the Aberlour 10 is a very nice place to start.

Sort of on topic, do US state laws like that prohibit alcohol being sent as gifts from abroad? I know on another SA forum I frequent, people from the US buy and send products for people in Australia since it's cheaper for the Australian customers to pay for delivery by US goons than it is to buy in Australia. Just wondering since I'm sure we have a larger whisky selection over here in the UK and it might be cheaper for us to help out those in the US rather than people paying high costs to cover import prices.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

While I enjoy Laphroaig and other peaty malts, I still find time to enjoy the subtleties and flavours of malts from other regions. Speaking of which, a bottle of Springbank 15 just turned up for me at work. It's going to be a good day!