Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Crossposting this here and the pipe/cigar thread:

I don't smoke cigars often, usually just get offered one now and then by my manager and I usually enjoy it. But I do drink often. After finally delving into the world of scotch I feel like I should try pairing some with cigars. Particularly what would you guys suggest to pair with a heavily peated scotch like Lagavulin 16?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
If you like a lighter/sweeter note to your peat-bomb scotches Lagavulin 16 or 12 are both excellent.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I'm looking to trim my whiskey budget down and switch to things I'm more comfortable going through quickly. So what are some good budget islay/peated blends and lighter speyside blends?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Stultus Maximus posted:

Define "budget". Highland Park 12 is about $45 and is a good Islay. Do you consider that budget?

Yeah below $50 a bottle basically. I've not heard much about Highland, how does it compare to my current favorite Islay: Lagavulin 16?

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Schpyder posted:

If you want something cheap and peaty, it's hard to go wrong with Black Bottle.

I've got black bottle around right now and it is nice and peaty, but it seems kind of simple and a touch on the harsh side. I guess I might be spoiled by mostly sticking with Ardbeg and Lagavulin for peaty whisky.

edit: Woops, I was thinking you were talking about JW Black Label which is what I have.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 29, 2012

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Around here I can't find single barrel easily or reliably but small batch is plentiful and cheap. I really should try them side by side.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 10, 2013

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Old Overholt for a rye, Evan Williams Small Batch for a not-rye. This is the whiskey thread but I also suggest exploring using rum's in old fashioned's. I suggest Flor de Caņa 7 year as a starting point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Is there a single standout corn whiskey? I've never tried any and figure it's time.