Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
I'm pretty new to drinking whiskey, but I'm enjoying what I've had so far. Earlier this week, I purchased a bottle of Canadian Club 6 Year. I enjoyed that so I purchased a bottle of the CC Reserve 10 Year. For a bottle under $20, it's fantastic. Can you guys recommend any other quality introductory bottles under $25-30?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
I've never had any type of scotch. That being said, I went to a local package store this evening and looked around until I found a reasonably priced bottle to try out. I settled on a bottle of Ballantine's Finest. It was ~$15 and I figured that it would be a decent introductory blend. I got home an hour or so ago and poured a bit for myself and when I tasted it, I almost spit it back out. I'm not really sure how to even describe the taste, except that it's got sort of a chemical kind of aftertaste, if that makes any sense. Now my question is this: Is this the typical aftertaste for scotches, or is something wrong with this bottle?

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

Killer robot posted:

I haven't tried that one, but scotch in my experience is one of those liquors where the "drinkable" price range is higher than most, so something harsh and chemically smoky sounds about right. It's not like vodka or rum where you can spend $15 and get something palatable, you're looking more twice that to start. The first I ever really enjoyed was Johnnie Walker Black, say.

What I'd suggest if you want to experiment a little with scotch without major investment is the little single serve bottles, assuming they're available in your area.

That's pretty much what I had figured. Thanks.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
I got a bottle of Bulleit yesterday and absolutely loved it. I don't really have the kind of money to be dropping $40-$50 on a bottle of scotch, so I may be sticking with bourbon for a bit.