Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I can't imagine drinking a whiskey that's sweeter than Maker's. It's way mellow, even flabby, as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Rye is just as good neat or on the rocks as bourbon or any other whiskey. It's spicier, and not as honey sweet, but very tasty.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

But that's awesome.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Nah, don't go for peat for its own sake. I mean, peat is great and it makes me happy, but that's far from the be-all end-all of Scotch. People hate on young Glenfiddich, specifically the 12 year. I believe their 15 year solera is very well-regarded. The 12 year is tasty enough, and far from the worst thing you could be drinking, it's just not nearly as excellent as Scotch can be.

Gregorio posted:

Well you tried two blends (which can be like 70% grain whisky), try look out for a single malt like the Balvenie Doublewood or Highland Park 12yo. Both are excellent introductions to scotch which aren't your usual Glenlivet/Glenfiddich.

Blends can be up to 70% grain whisky, but the recent change in terminology has confused a lot of people as to what that means. Used to be "blend" referred strictly to whisky with a percentage of grain whisky in addition to malt. The way to refer to whisky that was just the product of several different distilleries – but still 100% malt – was "vatted malt" (as opposed to "single malt"). Now, however, that which was once called a vatted malt must legally be referred to as a blend, so it's harder to distinguish between actual blends, which are not very good, and products that might be 100% malt whisky, just blended from different distillers.

Basically, I suspect Blue Label and Grouse 12, though they are blends, probably have a substantial malt content, considering their price point. He should still explore single malts, but there's nothing inherently wrong with blends as such.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, "soapy" is not at all how I would describe either of those whiskeys.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You can't get it at BevMo. Cask, at Third and Market, should have what you're looking for, and there are probably a couple other specialty spirits places where it'll be in stock. K&L Wines doesn't carry Old Potrero, apparently, though I'd have thought they would.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Keyser S0ze posted:

About to pour an Ardbeg Uigeadail and looking forward to it and how it compares to my go-to Laphroaig Cask Strength.

Well?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Flyboy925 posted:

I saw something interesting at the liquor store today. It was Wild Turkey 81 proof. It even had a different label than the normal 80 proof Wild Turkey. From their website, it looks like they don't make/advertise the 80 proof that I normally see. At least not anymore. I think I'm going to further explore the Wild Turkey Family. So far I've had 80, Rye, 101, Rare Breed, American Honey, and I believe, Russell's 10 and WT 8 year. This should be some fun working through their entire collection.

Jesus man, that's some dedication. I consider myself a big Wild Turkey fan, so well done. Is their rye good? I've been looking for a decent rye to drink when Rittenhouse isn't available (which is often). So far I've tried Old Overholt (which is fine but uninteresting) and Bulleit, which is tasty but a bit lighter than I like. A few people I've read have said that WT rye is not great, but idk I've never tried it myself.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 4, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

DoctaFun posted:

I am not a fan of flavored whiskeys, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But I have always felt you are better off getting a regular bottle of whiskey (that you can use for a lot more drinks than cherry whiskey), and adding any flavoring you want for any specific drinks. If you like cherry, then get a bottle of grenadine and go hog wild.

I've never actually had the red stag though, so it's possible it's very good, I'm just not going to fork out for a bottle of it.

Grenadine is supposed to be pomegranate. In any case yeah, this is usually a better choice, because you can use homemade syrups instead of lovely chemical-tasting sweeteners, and decent whiskey instead of poo poo that was so unsaleable they had to add sugar and flavorings to get anyone to buy it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Roses is just poo poo. Make your own grenadine out of 100% pomegranate juice and sugar.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I always like to have a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 on hand, and would like to also keep Black Label around (talk to me after a couple paychecks). Both are solid for sipping or mixing.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

VampiricGiraffe posted:

I won a couple hundred bucks in a drawing, so of course I did the responsible thing and invested it...

in my childhood dream, a motherfucking whiskey cabinet (don't worry, I don't actually keep it all on this desk next to the window, just made sense for the picture).

You sir are a scholar and a patriot :patriot:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

DoctaFun posted:

I've been making some old fashioneds lately and I must say they are quite tasty. I don't know if my recipe is a good one or not, this is what I've been doing:

splash of water
sugar cube
2 dashes bitters
muddle cherry + orange wedge
add bourbon
add ice

Any thoughts? Am I bastardizing this drink or is this pretty legit. I found the recipe on some website awhile ago.

I am firmly opposed to muddled anything being in an Old Fashioned. If you want orange flavor, use orange bitters or a finish with a twist. If you want cherry flavor, drink something else. An Old Fashioned is cold, bracing, and simple. It *definitely* shouldn't have particles in it from muddling a bunch of fruit in there.

Also, I personally don't care for the sugar cube method. I respect the history of it blah blah blah try it with 1/4 oz. of syrup made from 2 parts turbinado/demerara sugar and 1 part water. The unrefined sugar adds a certain richness to the drink, and there's no residual sugar at the bottom of the glass. You just need to make sure to give it a quick stir before you add the ice to make sure the sugar gets into solution, since it's a) more dense and b) colder (from being the the fridge) than the whiskey, so it can sorta just hang out at the bottom of the glass unless you help it out.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Also if you're looking on the more inexpensive side I've had excellent results with John Powers.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

NightConqueror posted:

I've just run out of bourbon and I'm looking to pick up another. My go-to bourbon so far has always been either Wild Turkey 101 or Buffalo Trace. I've been eyeing up Four Roses recently. Is anything other than their Single Barrel offering worthwhile? Any other recomendations within the $20-$40 range?

Evan Williams small batch (I think it's small batch) is supposed to be good. It's one up from their standard bottling.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Dolin Rouge is an excellent sweet vermouth. That and Rittenhouse Bonded was one of the finest drinks I've ever had, to say nothing of being the finest Manhattan I've ever had. Vya sweet is also very good, and it's from my hometown! Both will make an amazing Manhattan. Also, you should try using rye instead of bourbon. It makes for a much spicier, tastier drink.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

They use sweet and sour in an Old Fashioned? That's weird.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Vincent Valentine posted:

A guy once asked me for 2oz Lagavulin, 1oz Kahlua, fill cream and roll served in a large tumbler.

Yeah.

I was making the :stare: face at my screen and my girlfriend had to ask me 2 or 3 times what was wrong.

What the gently caress.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Paul Coffey posted:

I'm beginning to think I have a problem... I'm running out of room to put my whisky! The situation's not helped by the fact that the place I see movies at also has a liquor store that will validate the $20 (!!) parking fee if I spend $25+ there... thing is I don't drink this stuff fast enough. At least the bottles are pretty...

That whisky is your honor. Be proud.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Jahoodie posted:

Rittenhouse Rye, don't pay too much for it. (I see it $18-$30/bottle)

Sazerac Rye is worth a splurge. (Around $25-$35)

To clarify, he's talking about the bottled-in-bond. Rittenhouse also puts out some ridiculously old and expensive ryes.

Rittenhouse Bonded is a tremendous rye for the price and in general. If you see it buy two or three bottles, before the year's release is all snapped up.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 4, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

"Fine, but wouldn't buy again" is pretty much the consensus on Maker's 46. Of course, I feel like that about their standard bottling too.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Simple turbinado syrup is the way to go. 2:1 sugar:water. When you make a syrup this thick though you've got to agitate it in the glass to get it in solution with the whiskey or else it'll just sink to the bottom and make the first half of the drink to dry and the second half too sweet. The richness of the cane flavor is worth it though.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Mr. Glass posted:

Please tell me this is something you made up to be facetious, and not something you saw at an actual bar. Please, please, please

A vodka Old Fashioned tastes primarily of whatever bitters you used.

The best Old Fashioned I've ever made was with Smith and Cross navy strength Jamaican rum. I guess you could do a malt Old Fashioned, but I'd recommend a blend, really.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Sazerac and Rittenhouse Bonded are both excellent ryes. Good luck trying to find them though – keep an eye out for specialty liquor stores.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The finest Manhattans I've ever had are Rittenhouse, Dolin Rouge, and Angostura, 2:1:dash, stirred with an orange twist. You cannot imagine how delicious they were.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Midorka posted:

How much water do you add? I saw a "how to drink scotch" video some master distiller made, I forget the distillery but it was an oddball guy who throw much scotch on the ground, but he seemed to add a lot of water. He said he added enough to dilute it to 30% to get the most amount of flavor. I've been following this personally.

I just want to observe that that was a joke video.

The other night I tried some Yamazaki 12 because I wanted to see about this whole Japanese whisky thing and man that was some pear-heavy aroma. It was tasty, very light compared to all the Islays I've been drinking. I suspect this is pretty much an entry-level Japanese, right? Anything else I should look for?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It's definitely a joke video, and it's loving hilarious.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Look he's clearly a serious whisky expert, that's evident from the video, but if you don't realize that at least 60% of that video is a dead-panned schtick about whisky culture you're out of your mind. The whole bit about the temperature of the water from 1:11 on is hilarious and absurd.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh Jesus Christ.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That's what I mean. He's got some good information in there, but that's obviously a video for people who already know a bit about whisky. It's primarily entertaining rather than informative. He has other videos where he explains things a bit more and isn't totally mad, but that's not one I would suggest a whisky newcomer start with. Because it's a joke.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Man, Beam rye is fine but not THAT good. That's soooooo much money man. I dunno dude, I've begun to wonder if Europeans should even care about American whiskey because it seems like it costs an insane amount over there.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Rye and malt whisky are only both known as whisk(e)y by an accident of linguistics. The difference between at least 51% rye mashbill distilled to 160 proof aged in never-before-used charred white oak barrels for 3 years and bottled at no less than 80 proof and mostly malted barley mashbill usually dried with peat and aged 3 years or more in some barrel, maybe bourbon, maybe sherry cask, is substantial. Rye and malt whisky (i.e. Scotch, or in rare cases, Irish) are only passingly similar.

If it were 4 months ago and Rittenhouse were still available I'd offer to ship you a bottle myself. I'll drop by the specialty spirits store tomorrow and see if they have any in stock – if available, maybe we could work out a deal.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

Wow, I looked up Rittenhouse and it seem like it gets very good reviews everywhere and is cheap. Seems awesome.
I appreciate your offer, but I'm afraid that even through a package marked as a gift I'll be stuck with excise + VAT if the customs get hold of it. I think the cheapest way to get it would be to wait until (whenever that is) I go to the UK and visit. A bottle there is £30.

Edit:

Ah, that's interesting. I might give a bourbon a shot as well then. Thanks!
Of the goon recommended in the OP I can get Four Roses Bourbon and Four Roses Small Batch. So there's a start. Not that expensive (relative to where I'm from). Wild Turkey 81 proof is also available at a slightly higher price ($45).

Jesus man those prices are nuts.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Do you guys have any idea why a bottle of Laphroig 10 is going for $50 right now (BevMo, California)? I bought one around this time last year for like $35. That seems like a crazy jump in price.

I wanted some peat :(

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

NightConqueror posted:

Get Black Bottle (~$15) if you want peat cheap. $50 bucks for Laphroaig 10 is a rip-off though. Ardbeg goes for almost that much here in Illinois.

A fifth of Black Bottle is running $30 at BevMo right now, which is also retarded. And yeah, I'm not about to buy either of those at those prices. They must have had some weird distributor voodoo kick in. Maybe when CostCo gets their Christmas whisk(e)y stocks in I'll get something cheaper there. In the mean time I got some Old Pulteney, which is a pretty tasty malt.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Jahoodie posted:

I owe a friend a bottle, and he's on a kick of trying to recreate Irish Coffees he had in Italy. He's using a double shot of espresso plus whiskey.

Normally I'd go with Jameson for the sweetness, but I was thinking of going with Redbreast 12 as I'm trying to get him into better whiskey. I'm not a fan of Irish Coffee, so I don't know if that's a poor idea.

If he's going to just be making Irish Coffees don't bother with Redbreast. Redbreast is a fine sipping whiskey. Jameson is a perfectly good middling Irish, and is probably the most common pour for Irish Coffee.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Welp, guess it's time to shop from K&L more, dude seems like a boss.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've really been pleased with the briny character of the bottle of Old Pulteney I bought recently. It gives the whisky this lean, rangy quality that's pretty great. I'd recommend it for all palates.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

If you can't find Rittenhouse stateside I seriously doubt you'll find it in the UK, seeing as it's made in Kentucky and I don't know how much the British are into rye. Just have to wait until next year's release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Ah hah, I was confused. Well good luck in your quest! Rittenhouse is really an excellent rye, and it'll probably still be relatively cheap, even after import and excise taxes and all that.