Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Had some Port Charlotte at the bar on Christmas, I was very pleased. Nice peaty smoke, but there was this distinct custardy thing going on that was immensely satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I dunno, I'd heard that forever but then my friend bought me the CS and the 15 for my birthday. The 15 was really, really nice. I liked the CS, don't get me wrong – fantastic whiskey. But I think the 15 is underrated actually. I would strongly consider buying another bottle for myself if I were in the "spend $80 on a bottle" mood.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really liked the Leopold Bros. Maryland rye when I tried it at work. Mellow at first, but with big spice and warmth on the finish. Highly recommended.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Devil Wears Wings posted:

The thing about the sub $35 Scotch market is that it is filled with drinkable stuff, but it's mostly everyday drinkers - stuff that you keep so that you don't have to dip into something more expensive. Monkey Shoulder, Glenlivet 12, AM Bon Accord, Macallan 10, Glenmorangie 10, Lismore NAS, hell even super budget stuff like Finlaggan and Speyburn 10 have their devotees.

I just have a bad habit of occasionally impulse buying cheap bottles of whisky. :shobon: Sometimes it leads to good finds like the TJ's Irish single-malt, but I've also drain-poured one or two really bad bottles before.

But yeah, around the $40 mark is where Scotch starts to get just plain good, and not just "good for the price." (I think we should call this the "Balvenie Doublewood Point.")

I got some Speyburn 10 a few months ago when I wasn't in the money for a nice dram and I don't think I'll be buying it again except perhaps to use in a hot punch. It's just not a great whisky. Finlaggan, on the other hand, totally owns, especially if you wanna go hog wild and use it in cocktails.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Alright, finally got myself some Rittenhouse Rye. What's the best application of it? Manhattan, Old Fashioned, straight up...?

With Dolin Rouge and an orange twist it makes a memorable Manhattan. Even better if you can get your hands on Tempus Fugit's Abbott's Bitters.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hell, OGD 114 is perfectly drinkable and it's at full-Sykes proof.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Tried the Bulleit 10 year the other night. Considering how boring I consider their standard bottling I didn't have high hopes.

It is loving fantastic. The nose is vanilla and some dried fruit. The palate is a fruit explosion. Apricots and figs, a bit of peach, with solid, but not overwhelming, vanilla support to the whole thing. Really an impressive bourbon. One of the best bourbons I've tasted in a long time. BevMo has it for under $50.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I strongly disagree that you are meant to warm the spirit. Room/cellar temperature is pretty ideal for smelling and tasting spirits. Besides, once you take a sip it will rapidly reach body temperature in your mouth, and then you can taste the progression of flavors as it warms. Unless you live in the frozen northern wastes and store your booze in an unheated garage you don't need to bother warming it up too much.

The primary purpose of the tulip shape of the snifter is to prevent the aroma from escaping. Sniff above the glass though – if you stick your nose right in there the alcohol vapors will burn your nostrils.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I think the Redbreast 15 is underrated. It's really a lovely spirit.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Here's the thing about single barrel releases: they are all different. Sometimes you don't like the barrel in question. Most whiskey is blended to make a consistent, generally delicious product. A single barrel offering is a couple people saying, "This particular flavor is excellent." If that flavor isn't your thing you won't dig it. It's worth trying a different single barrel offering later to see if it's your jam.

Like Elmer T. Lee. That is some loving creme brulee-tasting whiskey. It's amazing.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It's less about specific notes, and more about the tasting process. Unless these are experienced tasters, you'll need to teach them about spending time with the aroma, picking out notes, and being comfortable expressing them out loud. Then when it comes to tasting make sure they know to hold the spirit on their tongue, slowly let it disperse through their mouths, swallow, and then breathe back over their tongue again. A lot of tasting is also about disinhibiting, so people don't feel dumb talking about the different notes.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 8, 2015

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've personally watched people pack multiple pounds of marijuana into large Styrofoam boxes and mail them across the country. It's nuts.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

howe_sam posted:

My brother gave me a Jameson sampler pack for Christmas. I really enjoyed Black Barrel, the other one that spent time in stout barrels, not as much.

Yeah, Caskmates is a really boring whiskey. Not worth the price of admission.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You should trade up for some Black Grouse. Still super affordable, and really quite tasty. I suspect it's the perfect Rusty Nail scotch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Bape Culture posted:

I wish I had never opened my yamazaki Sherry cask

I especially wish my wife hadn’t used it in a chilli when she was out of sherry

Lol