Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I just went to the liquor store to see what scotch I could get in the $40-60 price range and literally all of it was 40%. I walked out with Aberlour 12 which I haven't had in a loooong time but out of the selection in that price range was probably the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Paul Proteus posted:

I know this is the Whisky thread but any opinions on rum? I have no idea the players like I do with bourbon or scotch but I'm looking for something fun/sippable on its own. Any recommendations?

Rum thread.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Muir posted:

On Saturday I'm running a whiskey tasting for some friends and acquaintances, and I've never done it before. Aside from the whiskey itself, what else should I think about? Water for people to add to compare the difference? I'd like to provide some robust snacks since it will be around dinner time -- various cheeses, crackers, nuts, hummus, dark chocolate -- any other ideas there? What else am I forgetting?

Something for the drivers.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LionArcher posted:

Trying to find a 100 proof burb that I can have a couple of bottles of that isn’t impossible to restock. I blind taste tested knob creek 9 year, heaven hill bottled in bond, and four roses single barrel.

Four roses won, bottled got second (almost as good, but the fall off was much faster). And knob creek was a distant 3rd.

Four roses is the easiest to get, but I’m surprised it beat heaven.

Next I’m going to do buffalo trace, blantons and eagle rare. To figure out my “nicer but lower proof sipper. Maybe add a michter's sour mash in there as well for a sub 100 proof). I already own a bottle of Blanton’s and eagle rare, but I’m curious if I will actually prefer them over buffalo or Michter’s.

After that, moving onto figuring out what kind of scotches I want stocked in my home bar!

Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

spankmeister posted:

People like what they like and that's fine. If you like a super premium high end blend, more power to you.

Invariably though when I see people drinking those types of blends, it's either someone who doesn't drink scotch all that often, and isn't super informed and they want to treat themselves, or it's a person who doesn't know the first thing about quality spirits, and is just being pretentious.

I can count the number of people I've met that both know about whisky and are not utterly disappointed by the likes of Blue Label on one hand.

I do want to stress that blended scotch is not by definition inferior to single malt. There are some excellent blends out there. Compass Box makes some fantastic stuff. More recently companies like Turntable and Thompson Brothers came on the scene and their blends are excellent as well.

I was deployed overseas a few years back and the O-Club had Blue Label for $20/pour so I figured why the hell not. I had had enough Scotch experience and Johnnie experience to know to expect all the character to be blended out. So it wasn't disappointing. I'm genuinely glad I had the opportunity to try it. It wasn't bad at all but it's almost paradoxical to have something both flawless and uninteresting. It's like a generative AI image of a beautiful blonde woman. You can't pick anything at all wrong with it but by the exact same token you can't describe anything compelling because it's so perfect at having no unique identity.