Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Just walked into a local liquor store (Oregon) and asked if they had Blanton. She had two bottles in the back for $65. Only let me buy one. Not bad for a random stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Got my boss at the bar I work at a bottle of whistle pig 10 year 100 proof rye and myself their last bottle of caribou Canadian whiskey bourbon. Haven’t cracked either but looking forward to trying both. (caribou is supposed to be the Canadian blantons).

I wouldn’t normally splurge for my boss (he is as also a friend before I started working at the bar and it’s my part time gig) but he just gave me a shot of this on the house at the holiday party.

https://www.folsomwinespirits.com/p...aMaAtwtEALw_wcB

Best tequila I’ve ever tasted.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Trying to find a 100 proof burb that I can have a couple of bottles of that isn’t impossible to restock. I blind taste tested knob creek 9 year, heaven hill bottled in bond, and four roses single barrel.

Four roses won, bottled got second (almost as good, but the fall off was much faster). And knob creek was a distant 3rd.

Four roses is the easiest to get, but I’m surprised it beat heaven.

Next I’m going to do buffalo trace, blantons and eagle rare. To figure out my “nicer but lower proof sipper. Maybe add a michter's sour mash in there as well for a sub 100 proof). I already own a bottle of Blanton’s and eagle rare, but I’m curious if I will actually prefer them over buffalo or Michter’s.

After that, moving onto figuring out what kind of scotches I want stocked in my home bar!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

Old Grand Dad Bottled in Bond.

I didn’t have that at the bar, but I’ll check to see if the local store has one.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ElectricRelaxation posted:

How much are you looking to spend? At lower prices you could look at things like the Evan Williams, OGD, Benchmark, or Early Times Bottled in Bonds, or Wild Turkey 101/Maker's Mark 101. Going up in price you've got things like New Riff, Bardstown Origin Bottled in Bond, Uncle Nearest 1856 (I think technically not a bourbon but still pretty good), or, depending on your market, even things like Knob Creek 12 year or McKenna 10 year. That's pretty much anywhere from <$20 for the Evan Williams all the way up to about $70 for those last two.

Thanks! Yeah I know or have tasted most of those. For mixing I’m going Evan Williams 100 or old forester. But I think taste wise the only that could match for roses will probably be early times/ maybe wild turkey 101. But good points, I’ll have to blind taste those too.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

stratego posted:

Find out when your Local Liquor Store gets their 1792 BiB store pick. Then buy a case of it. Worked for me.

Just missed their 1792 BIB. lol. I’m working tonight so I can at least test our 1792 we have on the shelf.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Got a bottle of EH Taylor small batch and Weller special reserve today for retail. A good day.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Veskit posted:

I saw a bottle of Weller special for $140. A bad day

I paid $37 for Weller (it’s my backup bottle) and $50 for Taylor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Lyon posted:

PA is rough because they all get identical stuff and it’s boring to go “bourbon hunting” but at least all the stuff is at or near MSRP. Once you learn how to game the system you can have unlimited Blanton’s, Eagle Rare, and Buffalo Trace I guess, if that’s your thing. The online drops are also sort of game-able and there’s usually more variety there but all the best stuff goes to lottery with millions of entries.

Yeah, Blanton's isn't hard here. It's about once every other month for "retail" which is now $69. I just picked up a backup of it, and I don't know how I feel about picking up anymore bottles for awhile. I don't actually drink very often (I bartend so I can have shift drinks when I'm done,). Eagle rare sits on the shelf for a few weeks, as does buffalo trace.

It's stuff like Stag Jr, Weller's red, white orange and blue, and Taylor's that are harder to get.