Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

wormil posted:

I made a new thread because I wanted to talk about this Evan Williams 1783 small batch and the old thread was done.

Anyway, being on a budget this month I decided to try something less expensive than my usual drinks and found this expression of Evan Williams (86 proof and 10 years old) on the shelf for $13. It's a screwcap whiskey (I'm biased) and I wasn't fond of the regular Evan Williams when I tried it a year or two ago but I have to say that this is unexpectedly tasty. The flavors aren't very complicated and it's a bit on the sweet side but really there is nothing offensive about it and I would definitely buy this again.

Last time I went to the states I picked up a handle of this for $20. It's a really good "everyday" boubon for when I want a cocktail without using some of the better stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

Killer robot posted:

Any particular recommendations for rye whiskey? I've had Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, and Old Overholt, but the larger liquor stores around here are getting a wider variety these days and I'm not sure what to try out. Especially since so much tends to be in the premium price range.

I really like Sazerac, especially for the price. Makes a good manhattan or old fashioned.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

Remy Marathe posted:

Has anyone here tried Buffalo Trace's "White Dog Mash #1"? I almost picked up a half bottle last night but didn't want to blow $15 on a gimmick. Reading reviews on it today has piqued my curiosity again, I've only tried new make once before at a Bruichladdich tasting and I don't really remember what it was like, just that it was inoffensive.

I got a free sample of this at a liquor store once. I can tell why they were giving it away. Maybe some folks like it, but I really can't see myself in any situation in which I would drink this willingly. I'd rather spend less money and get a decent bourbon like Evan Williams 1783.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
Saw a bottle of Glen Moray Classic with 2 rocks glasses for $22 today. Buy?