Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Their special releases aren't cheap, and you should decide for yourself if you think they're worth it, but IMO they have elevated blending to an artform. I haven't had a single bottle from them that I didn't like.

yeah, agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

Goddamn I still don't understand how Knob Creek single barrels stay so cheap. Just grabbed a store pick at 15 years and it was $40. I don't feel so annoyed about allocated bottles anymore.

probably because no one wants to deal with that goddamn wax

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Infinite Karma posted:

Is Wild Turkey a knockoff of Famous Grouse or something? What kind of name is Wild Turkey?

That’s Inglorious Pheasant actually

Wild Turkey is a rebrand for foreign markets

Hauki
May 11, 2010

i loving hate that wax, but at $45-50 for the various single barrels it's hard to beat these days

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Is there any common Scotch blend that isn’t smoky that is good? My local guy says Famous Grouse is way better than most people expect..,

Famous Grouse is Not Bad

I like Black Grouse more tho

Also see: all of Compass Box

Hauki
May 11, 2010

sean10mm posted:

I'm super leery of anybody selling "a blend of straight bourbon/rye whiskey" since under US law you can put flavorings, colorings and "blending materials" :wtf: in those. It's a way to skirt the stricter rules for straight whiskey basically.

okay, but their labeling explicitly says no coloring, no filtering or additional flavoring etc.

also it’s pretty good

Hauki
May 11, 2010

laphroaig quarter cask is great imo, if that’s what you picked up

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Lowness 72 posted:

There's also a cask strength edition. I think it's just the regular 10 but CS.

cool, I'll have to try that, I've liked pretty much every cask thing I've had from them

same with the Redbreast, that's one I haven't tried yet but I think Costco had it here last winter

Hauki
May 11, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Dalmore sucks, I don't get why so many people like it tbqh.

honestly the last time i bought a bottle was probably a decade ago, but i remember liking it well enough then

in fairness, i think they were like $40 bottles at the time

i did just grab another sanaig & a highland park which are pretty great for the price imo

also an oa is like weirdly cheap here relative to anything comparable?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Has anyone tried Ardbeg Fermutation? One of my local shops has it on clearance, but it’s still a little north of an impulse-bottle I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Wasn't that supposed to be exclusive to Ardbeg Committee members? I would absolutely jump on that.

Apparently so, somehow I overlooked that before.