Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeah, I saw that. Thought it was pretty neat, but at the same time it's kind of snobby and wrong direction for being anti-snobby just on principle. Also, yeah, it isn't a thing and it seems like a marketing gimmick, but on the other hand wine sommelier stuff is also complete bullshit it's basically just wine snobbery with trivia so that's kind of whatever for me.
I mean it's 100% for marketing. Literally called the "whiskey marketing school."

DoctaFun posted:

no way I could sample and review like 1-2 ounce pours one after another like that in the matter of 10–15 minutes. But I’m no pro.
A lot of their pours probably don't even hit 1 oz, and they've mentioned that they often dump most of what they pour because they shoot like a week's worth of episodes in one go. It's still a lot of sampling, but they aren't just getting hammered on camera.

Nice piece of fish posted:

How do you guys feel about the youtube Whiskey Tribe/Vault people, doing reviews and such? It came up in my recommends (for obvious reasons) and they seem fairly insightful, entertaining and anti-snobbery which is great for what it is.

I'd watch it more for entertainment than anything else--for this reason I like the whiskey tribe channel more since it's mostly just bs that is whiskey tangential. The regular channel is...fine i guess, but at this point they're mostly reviewing stuff that I can't get so who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Anyone have recommendations for port finished whiskeys that have reasonably distribution? The one bottle I have at home is the kavalan solist port cask, and it smells incredible and I quite enjoy it. The problem is that it's not really something you can get in the US, or at least not without ridiculous probably secondary market prices. The only widely available port cask finished whiskey that I know of is angels envy.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Sweet. That's actually pretty affordable too. I'll have to pick some up next time I actually go to a liquor store

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

Glendronach makes a port finished expression, I haven’t tried it but I’m a total Glendronach fanboy at this point.

The Dalmore Portwood reserve is actually a fantastic bottle and kind of flies under the radar since their other expressions get a lot of flack for all the coloring and low proof. The Portwood is like 46% though and really good.

The aforementioned Quinta ruban is probably the most readily available of the lot though!

These three are all available at total wine and within what I'm willing to spend. The balvenie is like $330 after tax so nooooope.

Radio Nowhere posted:

Can you find Bowman bourbon in your area? They have a port finish that's decent. Sagamore rye had a port release that, at least around me, is still around. I'm in Maryland though, both mainly distribute on the east coast.
West coast here. There's bowman bourbon, but at the very least total wine doesn't carry the port finish. It's possible something local to me like westland has a special release with it though.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I am totally buying all of these once I get time to go to the store since everything's open again

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

Glendronach makes a port finished expression, I haven’t tried it but I’m a total Glendronach fanboy at this point.

The Dalmore Portwood reserve is actually a fantastic bottle and kind of flies under the radar since their other expressions get a lot of flack for all the coloring and low proof. The Portwood is like 46% though and really good.

The aforementioned Quinta ruban is probably the most readily available of the lot though!

Finally got around to picking up these three, and have the quinta ruban open now. It's not quite what I was looking for, which is basically the port equivalent of a 'sherry bomb.' It is nice though, and it might join balvenie/aberlour 12 as one of my normal scotches. The other two aren't opened yet because I have too many open bottles right now.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

wormil posted:

I don't want to sidetrack but I had no idea why someone posted a Discord until today. I've been around awhile, this is my 2nd acct, lost the password to the original, but my enthusiasm for the forum has been waning for a long time and I've retreated to a few threads and rarely venture out so the drama took me by surprise. Unfortunately it seems every other forum has become old men bitching and trolling each other. Anyway, don't know why I'm bothering to post except to say this forum has changed a lot over the years and so have I but it seems here in the whiskey thread we are keeping on, keeping on, and that's good by me. And if it all goes in the shitter, well it fun when it was fun.

p.s., if you have no idea what I'm talking about
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

Post on folks and cheers.
You should read your announcements while you're at it. Jeffrey is supposedly in the middle of buying the forums

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Beam is my least favorite of the giant american conglomerates. Fight me

Well as far as Beam is american since beam suntory. Mostly the american brands

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

zmcnulty posted:

They quoted me as a whisky expert, which is obviously fake news.

So when are you going to be on epicurious's price points show :P

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Larceny is heaven hill

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Beam's stuff is also pretty consistently solid at the right age and proof, even if some of their entry-level offerings leave much to be desired. They'd get a lot more goodwill if they stopped hiking the price of Booker's, though!

My main dislike for beam is their entry-level stuff, for some reason theirs is just not something I want to drink where that isn't necessarily the case for others. Their more aged stuff is fine, I just like other brands more at that point.

I'd disagree with jack daniels in that while I don't love it, it's not as off-putting to me as standard jim beam. Standard jim beam is one of only two whiskeys i've ever bought that I've refused to drink on its own--the other was bowmore legend and I dumped that down the drain because it didn't even mix well with coke. Tastes are subjective though, and everyone is entitled to theirs.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I guess the thing to start with is how much are you paying for buffalo trace?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Maybe try henry mckenna or larceny? Both should be pretty inexpensive, and larceny is wheated which would probably be something new. Henry McKennas availability seems to have gone to poo poo since it suddenly became popular of the last year or so

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Templeton rye is mgp product. I wouldn't be broken up about it

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Hauki posted:

probably because no one wants to deal with that goddamn wax

Never stopped people from buying makers mark :v:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Maker's wax is nothing compared to knob creek wax

I don't buy either of them :colbert:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

:colbert: You're missing out. The 2021 FAE-01 limited release is dope as gently caress.

I'm sure I'm missing out on plenty of great whiskey. I simply don't drink whiskey enough to turn over bottles that often. Outside of mixers, I go through a bottle maybe every 3 months, and I have so many bottles that I have to finish one before buying another one

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Double that number and you could literally have a ton of bottled whiskey!

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks whoever recommended the dalmore port wood, just got around to it and it's pretty loving great. Too bad the quinta ruban didn't really hit the notes I was looking for because it's way cheaper

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

If you want a cool looking bottle, hibiki harmony might fit in your budget if you're talking 80 before taxes. It's not a great value for the whiskey itself, but the bottle is cool and some people might think it's better than it is because it's japanese.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

TBH I'd buy both of the things you mentioned in a heartbeat--oban because it's a steal of a price especially if that's after tax, and yamazaki because it's lower than most retail prices for a product that gets flipped on secondary market.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

There was quite a few of them there on the shelf too! It did say it was limit one per person though.

Maybe I should go take a trip to costco just in case... :hmmyes:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’m a bourbon drinker and the only scotch I’ve ever had is lovely Dewars and JW Red. Are the Oban and Balvenie mentioned above good starter scotches? I don’t think I’ll like super peaty or smoky scotch.

Balvenie definitely, though the 12 yr doublewood is cheaper and I liked it more than the caribbean cask 14. No idea on the oban since i've never had it personally but have heard nothing but good things about it. It is a bit expensive for a "starter"--DFDF said they found it for $60 while total wine has it here for 100+tax aka >120 or bevmo has it on sale for 90+taxes.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

zmcnulty posted:

Barley and koji though, maybe that's okay?

Does anyone even make that? Seems like a waste of effort since barley will happily convert on its own

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Elijah Craig of some variety? It's also heaven hill and wasn't on literally every best value bourbon YouTube video a year or two ago. That and they dumped the age statement on the product formerly known ac EC12 years back

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Looking for more recommendations on stuff aged in port casks, ideally less than $100-120 before taxes. It doesn't have to be scotch. Last time I was recommended glenmorangie quinta ruban, dalmore portwood reserve, and glendronach 10 portwood. The glenmorangie didn't really hit what I was looking for, but it was still a nice whiskey and very affordable. The glendronach's nose was good, but it didn't reach the same bar on the palate. The dalmore was my favorite all around other than it being the most expensive of the 3.

I actually haven't had angel's envy, but maybe I should. It's not that expensive anyways.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Lawen posted:

It’s finished rather than aged in port (and rum, and cabernet) barrels but maybe try Barrell Dovetail. It’s about $80 and really good.

It's $120 plus tax (read: like $150) here :(

I'll still probably get it, it looks interesting

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

KWC posted:

Woodinville Port Finish is really nice.
Spends 6 months in port casks.

:doh: I was meaning to pick this up at some point but forgot it was a thing. They're local, so it shouldn't be hard to find

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I grabbed a bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban while I'm waiting for my order from the UK to get over. I'm wanting to explore Portwood finishes an the Dalmore Portwood and Tomatin 14 are on my short list.

Hell yeah, portwood finishes own. I just got some of the woodinville port finish, and I quite like it. I'd probably put it above the quinta ruban, though it's been a while since I had that so who knows. Either way, it's way cheaper than dalmore/glenmorangie, so I'll probably have this as a regular part of my liquor cabinet.

The store was out of angels envy on the shelf when I went :(

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m told the Kirkland 23 does well on secondary but I’m not sure there’s much of a market here in DC.

This makes no sense to me, why would any kirkland brand product that is currently being sold do well on secondary. Other than like maybe toilet paper right now

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Just searching, it looks like it definitely was a thing at some point https://www.drinkhacker.com/2012/06/15/review-scottish-spirits-single-grain-scotch-in-a-can/

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I mean there's no shortage of distilleries, scotch or otherwise, owned by japanese companies if you count beam suntory

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Also maybe check that it is actually leaded crystal first

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Yeah, lead-free crystal is just glass.

In that sense leaded crystal is also just glass.

Leaded crystal probably looks shinier. That was probably the only reason why it was ever made in the first place.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Lunchables posted:

No, I mean to say that by definition crystal must have lead. It’s not crystal if it doesn’t have lead. It’s just a finished glass.
What you're calling crystal is also just glass. With lead. And it's not like that term has one definition just like there's not just one definition for whiskey in the world

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Jehde posted:

Isn't japanese whisky relatively recent? It's like dressing up a bottle of zima in medieval royalty garments for some reason.

There were samurai up until relatively recently too.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

GD_American posted:

https://twitter.com/sweatystartup/status/1773025879259480297

I admire the beautiful touch of using caffeine free coke

An old can too. Isn't current branding red background and gold lettering for caffeine free?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

LionArcher posted:

They’re anti gay pieces of poo poo. And there’s so much better out there.

Where did this come from, and are you also suggesting to boycott everything diageo because have fun

Or I guess MGP, but same deal

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

LionArcher posted:

I used to like bulliet fine. But the company is bad, and it’s 2024. There are a lot of better choices out there. Buffalo trace is easy enough to find a lot of places.
As for Ryes? Old over holt, Stellum rye, jack Daniel’s single barrel rye, any of the barrel ryes, to name a few. Old Forrester ryes as well. Whistle pig 10 year rye is amazing, and so on.

That didn't really answer the question. What did they or their parent company actually do? I don't buy bulleit anyways, so it doesn't really change anything but this is the first I've heard of this