Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I've missed some of the discussion--what's the general opinion on standard Four Roses bourbon? I felt like a change from the usual rum for my eggnog this year and decided to use bourbon. I've been trying to cut way back on purchasing alcohol lately; I just don't have the money for it anymore. So at $19 a bottle for a necessary ingredient, Four Roses seemed an attractive option. It's good enough for eggnog, but given the sheer amount of sugar and dairy covering it up, pretty much anything would be. What's it like on its own? Is it drinkable or should I continue finding ways to mask the flavor when I consume it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Ah, good. It is just the base level bottle, but it's good to hear they tend to make pretty good stuff.

Also, I can't wait to try the bottle of Glenlivet 15 I just received as a gift. Gotta work on this gallon of eggnog first, though. :cheers:

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 25, 2012

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Has anyone here heard of a 12 Y.O. scotch called Tomatin? I saw it at the liquor store the other day while picking up some Irish whiskey and saw this stuff, at $20.00 a bottle--the cheapest I've seen any single malt in town, also a little worrying as single malts around here tend to start at $35 or so.

Also on the subject of Irish whiskey, a few stores have started carrying an Irish whiskey called Concannon, which is down in the $20s (though I saw it on sale for $15) along with the usual Jameson's, Powers, and Bushmill's. I stuck with Powers (Redbreast being out of my price range), but does anybody know anything about this whiskey?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I got around to trying Lagavulin 16 with dinner this past Saturday (my birthday) and finally got to see why everyone seems to rave about it. Iodine and peat were very prominent when I tasted it neat, and some sweeter notes seemed to come out after adding about a teaspoon of water; at any rate, it seemed a little more balanced after adding the water.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Armed Neutrality posted:

Man, I love Lagavulin 16 more with every glass. It reminds
me of summer camp, drinking iodine treated water next to a campfire. I never thought I'd like the taste of iodine so much.

Wish I could be in your shoes. Lagavulin 16 is just under $95/bottle out here.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Derby day is tomorrow, so I stopped by my local liquor store to pick up a bottle of bourbon for mint juleps. I picked up some Evan Williams Single Barrel (aged 10 years) for about $23. I got to try a sample before I purchased it, and it was pretty good. I'm not too good with tasting notes, unfortunately.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I picked up a bottle of Redbreast 12 the other day, and noticed another 12 y.o. single malt Irish whiskey next to it, called (I think I'm spelling it correctly) Knappogue Castle. It was also about $15 cheaper, and I considered taking that instead of the Redbreast but wound up taking a pass. Can anybody here vouch for it?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

So, a single malt that goes into Bushmills, unexpectedly bitter for an Irish, somewhat of an acquired taste, but definitely worth picking up at some point. Sounds interesting.

Not that Redbreast isn't worth buying. ;)

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

The Redbreast was a little over $60, up about five dollars over what it was when I last bought it a couple years ago. That's for the standard 12-year; the cask strength-12 and 15-year-old naturally cost more.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Lrigwoc posted:

I have been having the damnedest time trying to find the 12 year cask strength. What does a bottle run state-side?

I'd have to go look again (I live in NE Indiana, if that means anything), but I think the cask strength ran about $72-$75 where I was looking, and another $10 above that for the 15.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

When did Rittenhouse change their label? I just noticed when I was looking for some glassware the other day and happened past the whiskey aisle. I don't think much of the new label, but as long as the contents are the same I think I'll be able to manage it.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I was at a relative's house for Christmas and sampled a little of his bottle of Caol Ila 18. It was really good. How much does it cost compared to the more common 12 year?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Nothing so flashy as what's just been posted, but I just opened a bottle of New Riff Single Barrel, and it is really, really good. $42 at my local Costco well spent.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Mint juleps are the only reason I haven't tried eradicating the mint growing in a corner of my yard.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I can't wait for Highland Park Beowulf Edition: Our Geatest single malt expression yet.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

nostrata posted:

I had a home bar accident today. Had a shelf secured to the wall with three 50lb drywall anchors tip. All three pulled out of the wall dumping several bottles and glasses on the floor. Fortunately nothing broke but the cork came out of my Glenmorangie 18 and I lost nearly a quarter of the bottle. At least the towel I cleaned up with smelled amazing.

This happened to me a number of years ago. Liquor cabinet broke away from its anchors and fell over. I was lucky, however, as the cabinet was directly above the refrigerator; when it fell the doors couldn't open much at all. No bottles broke, just a few pieces of cheap glassware.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

I was going to say good luck finding any of these in the US, but apparently my local Total Wine actually has Scarabus for $35, which is just a bit cheaper than Laphroaig. Interesting!

I seem to recall seeing Finlaggan around my area (NE Indiana) in the past, but maybe it's just me.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

What does the thread generally think of Green Spot? My local Costco got in some Green Spot and Redbreast, both are about $50. I've had the latter and know it's a decent value at that price (plus iirc it's a thread favorite); is there any reason to choose Green Spot instead, other than novelty? I can only afford one bottle.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Green Spot report: I'm sampling my first pour tonight, and liking it. I unfortunately don't have any Redbreast on hand to compare, and I consider myself no great sommelier (though I can pick up on big, obvious differences), but going off memory, I think this may have a bit more body, or heft to it? I feel like I'm getting a bit of wood, grass or perhaps peat on the nose, with the aforementioned citrus. I wasn't sure at first, but after a few sips I'm definitely getting the green apple notes that were mentioned; the finish continues with the apple and adds floral/herbal and woody notes. It certainly differs from what I tend to think of as a typical Irish whiskey, which to my mind/palate are fairly bright, sweet, and sharp. My instincts tell me it would pair well with some nice dark chocolate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Spuckuk posted:

LTTP but the correct answer is Green Spot

Where are you finding Green Spot under $30? It's in the same price range as Redbreast everywhere I've seen it.