Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
This is old news but I just found out about Blackened, which in collaboration with Metallica is blasted in barrel with curated Metallica playlists. And I thought Jefferson's Ocean was gimmicky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

I have a bottle of Howler Head banana bourbon and I'm struggling to use it. I tried it in a cocktail with coffee liqueur but did not like the results. So far the only palatable drink has been a spiked milkshake. I feel like it's a spirit designed to be taken as a shot and not actually enjoyed.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Aside from knowing it'll be 100 proof and aged at least four years, how is knowing a whiskey is bottled in bond useful to the consumer? Is it a legacy from an age when the industry was so shady you wanted your whiskey aged in government-supervised warehouses?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

I also bought a bottle of BT at an ABC, but man some bourbon lovers are crazy. Everyone signed up for alerts got a notification that in-demand bottles are up for sale, and when I arrived at the store I saw a guy illegally park his car on the street in front of the building and rush inside.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Anyone have opinions on Virginian whiskeys? Here are my amateur impressions.

VHW port cask finish: Really enjoyed this one. It's a blend of scotch and VA made single-malt and tastes like a youngish unpeated scotch. Maybe I'm just suggestable but I felt like I could really taste the port finish impart fruit and raisin notes that paired the two nicely. The rep grumbled that it used to be called Virginia Highland Whisky but the Scottish industry has since claimed ownership of the word "highland".

Reservoir Bourbon: It has a 100% corn mashbill which I don't think I've ever tried and it was an educational experience. It was maybe the sweetest whiskey I've ever tasted but not unpleasantly so. The scent was very orangey and the taste was super nutty.

Ragged Branch Signature Bourbon: This label has won the most awards and has been raved about the most. Yet somehow despite the impressive, authentic small-batch farm-to-table etc. production method this was my least favorite. The taste was overpowered by tobacco, leather and charcoal. I concede I probably just need more exposure to these flavor notes and maybe I'll come to appreciate Ragged Branch after some time.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

I tried Nikka Coffey Grain as my first foray into >$50 Japanese whisky and drat if it isn't great. Like a really good Irish whiskey with some bourbon sweetness and a finish that had me loving the taste of my own breath. How is the Nikka Coffey Malt?

E: I see I missed Nikka chat last page

Kevin DuBrow fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

Tried Whistlepig 12-Year Old World and despite being like double the price of Whistlepig 10-year at $149, I actually enjoy the 10-year much more. It's already so fruity and the 12-year's finish in port, French, and Madeira wine casks makes it smell amazing but for my taste it just doesn't need it. Until trying this one I hadn't yet tasted a whiskey that is actually less preferable than cheaper offerings in the same product line.