Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Apologies for wall-o-text!

I'm a bit late getting to this, but I wanted to say thanks to all of the goons here for the information and their recommendations. With a passing interest in Whiskey I stumbled across this thread late last year, and read through the whole thing. Thanks to all of the recommendations I wound up with a bottle of Highland Park 12yr and Four Roses single barrel for Christmas!

With my only memorable whiskey experience coming from someone who had me try some Jack Daniels and Jim Beam Black a few years ago I wasn't sure what to expect. I really liked the fruity spiciness of the Four Roses.

Having never tasted a scotch I was actually a bit more excited / intrigued to taste the High Land Park. I'd start by describing it as a bit of a challenge to wrap my head around. I didn't dislike it, but I wasn't necessarily ready to pour another dram after drinking it. I'm not sure I could pick out / describe the peat, but there was a definite prominent flavor and aroma I hadn't experienced and would have trouble describing. I'm assuming that was the peat. I also definitely tasted the smokiness of it and liked that aspect well enough. I think at least for now the Four Roses is something I will definitely sit and drink on it's own, but the Highland Park I'll have to work towards, probably drinking along with a meal.

Also, in regards to both the Four Roses and the Highland Park, I was very surprised by the lack of uncomfortable burn in my chest. The warmth from both was actually quite pleasant. Is this typical of better Whiskeys and Scotches? I remember the Jack Daniels being pretty hot/harsh, but maybe that's just my memory over time.

Lastly, the other thing that really peaked my interest into whiskey besides this thread is that my favorite restaurant also has quite and extensive whiskey / scotch selection (see below). Anyone see anything on these lists that I should try other than just picking things at random?

Scotch:
Auchentoshan, Glenkinchie 10YR, Aberlour 12YR, Balvenie Doublewood 12YR, Cragganmore 12YR, Dalmore 12YR, Dalwhinnie 15YR, Glenfiddich 12YR, Glenfiddich 15YR, Glenfiddich 21YR, Glengoyne 10YR, Glenlivet 12YR, Glenlivet 18YR, Glenmorangie 10YR, Glenmorangie 18YR, Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban (Aged In Port Wood), Glenmorangie Lasanta (Aged In Sherry Wood), Glenrothes, Glen Ord, Highland Park 12YR, Isle of Jura 12YR, MaCallan 12YR, Macallan 18YR, Macallan 25YR, Oban 14YR, Royal Lochnager,
Speyburn 10YR, Ardbeg 10YR, Bowmore Legend, Bowmore 21YR, Laphroaig 10YR, Lagavulin 16YR, Glenmorangie Nectar D'or 12YR, Talisker 10YR, Cardhu 12YR, Glenlivet 16YR Nadurra, Glenlivet 21YR

Bourbon:
Blanton's Proof 93, Baker's Proof 107, Booker's Proof 121 to 128, Knob Creek Proof 100, Basil Hayden Proof 80, Bulleit, Bourbon Proof 90, Benchmark Proof 80, Buffalo Trace Proof 90, Eagle Rare Proof 90, Elijah Craig Proof 94, Evan Williams Single Barrel Proof 86.6, Four Roses Proof 90, George Dickle 12 Proof 90, George Dickle 8 Proof 80, Maker's Mark Proof 90,
Maker's Mark 46 Proof 94, Gentleman Jack Proof 80, Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Proof 94, Ridgemont Reserve 1792 Proof 93.7, Russell's Reserve Proof 90, Wild Turkey American Honey Proof 71, Wild Turkey 101 Proof 101, Wild Turkey Rare Breed Proof 108.2, Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit Proof 101, Old Grand Dad Proof 86, Woodford Reserve Proof 90.4, Van Winkle Rye Whiskey Proof 95.6, Bulleit Rye Proof 95, Woodfod Reserve Proprietors Blend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Is it normal for restaurants to have such an extensive list of Scotch or is this Ron Swanson's mythical Charles Mulligan's Steakhouse?
Heh, I don't think it's normal, but the place has got a pretty big bar in addition to the restaurant. If your ever in Cincinnati, check it out.

http://deshas.com/cincinnati/menu/bourbon
http://deshas.com/cincinnati/menu/scotch

There's also another place I've yet to get over to, but would like to try.
http://www.experiencethepub.com/rookwood/menu/drinks/single-malt-scotch
http://www.experiencethepub.com/rookwood/menu/drinks/small-batch-single-barrel-bourbons

And thanks for the recommendations. I like the idea of trying things based on the regions? I try to eat there at least once or twice a month, so I'll give that a shot.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

@ Dug Fin: Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on your blog. I know I landed there at some point in the past. It's the only place so far I've seen Tobermory 10 mentioned and your review had me intrigued.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

A bit of whiskey discussion broke out in the Justified thread, and someone mentioned Black Maple Hill small batch as being pretty good. I don't recall it being mentioned in this thread off hand. Anyone have any thoughts? Is it worth seeking out?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Went to my B&M last night, and they had the Highland Park Loki locked up in their glass case. I stared at it for a good while, and the bought a bottle of Blantons, and a Balvenie Doublewood sampler.

If I could justify the cash, I'd buy it anyways. Even with the reviews that it's decent, but overpriced.

Also, did you wind up tasting the Highland Park Thor? If so, how did it compare?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Interesting, your take on the Thor seems to match what I've read other places. I'd love to give them a try just to say I did though. drat their marketing department and my love of comics.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

This is delicious. One of the outright sweetest american whiskies I've had. There's a rich maple character going on -- there going to be people for whom it's just too darn sweet and the finish will feel cloying. It isn't quite as clean or as pointed as a Woodford but I'm quite enjoying it neat, will try with rocks soon. If there's a criticism it's that it's not an exceptionally nuanced flavor -- a bit one note, but a very pretty one. Probably recommend this as a good beginner bourbon.

How is the mouth feel on the Eagle Rare? I've been interested in trying it, and I've come to find I like a thicker mouth feel. Anything I've had with a thinner mouth feel I've been disappointed in (Blantons, I'm looking at you).

VVVV: Sweet, thanks for the info.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 21, 2013

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

rxcowboy posted:

If anyone lives near Baltimore Md and wants a free half drank bottle of Balvenie 12 doublewood,let me know. I can't stand it and I'm mixing it with coke to drink it which I'm pretty sure is some sort of mortal sin.

If you paid for it, it's yours to do what you want with. Although hearing that does make me a little sad.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Sailor_Spoon posted:

Can anyone recommend any particularly good whisky news sites or blogs? I need things to read at work for those few hours when I can't be drinking.

The only three I follow with any regularity are...

http://www.whiskyreviews.blogspot.com/ - Guy gives really nice reviews on a TON of different whisky. I always enjoy checking his reviews for new things I've never heard of, and also to see how his taste notes compare to what I pick up flavor wise. All reviews are via youtube if you aren't blocked by a proxy.

https://www.youtube.com/user/whiskybitch - Also does nice youtube reviews. She has many more whiskey with an E reviews than Ralphy.

http://scotchnoob.com/ - Only text based site I visit regularly. Guy has a focus on reviewing more affordable whisky.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

kidsafe posted:

Her notes are consistently more accurate (well, in tune with mine) than Ralfy's as well.

Also, K&L's Spirits Journal is definitely worth bookmarking. Driscoll does well to balance his retail background with philosophy and opinion.

Thanks for that link. I've not run across that one before, but it's definitely worth giving a read.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Wojcigitty posted:

So I've been getting into Scotch and so far have gotten through a bottle of Laphroaig 10 (love it), Ardbeg 10 (like it a lot, not as much as L10), and Laphroaig QC (favorite).

I wanted to branch out into non-Islay scotches so I picked up a bottle of Highland Park 12.

I love the nutty raisiny vanilla nose and spicy peppery smokey woody finish but the middle has this strong kind of sour quality to it that really turns me off. It's almost like vomit and it kind of turns my stomach. I didn't get it immediately on my first sip but after two or three it was impossible to ignore. Am I the only one experiencing this? Is it something that I ate beforehand that just clashes with it (I had chicken apple sausage, winter squash, noodles, and cole slaw)?

Based on the nose and the finish I really want to love it and I'm kind of disappointed that I bought a whole bottle. Is what I'm experiencing typical of a certain kind of Scotch?

I can offer no further insight other than vomit (or baby sick as Richard Paterson calls it) is a real scotch note, and both my wife and I picked it up on Highland Park 12. I happened to like HP 12, but my wife hated it, specifically due to the vomit note. :shrug:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I've never had JW Red, but I though the consensus was that it isn't a great sipping whisky but is a wonderful mixer?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Anyone ever gone on the Bourbon Trail and visited all of the distilleries? Are they all worth touring / seeing. I'd like to get my stamps and t-shirt for visiting them all.

My wife and I are going in October. We'll be staying in Louisville and driving out each day. We aren't sure what we're doing other than the distillery tours. Anything we should see/do while we're in the area?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Radio Nowhere posted:

I visited all last year but the Lexington Brewery-Distillery, I wasn't doing the t-shirt stamp thing though. Each was unique and worth visiting, you can hit like 3-4 in a day easy since they are often located close to each other (Makers Mark is kinda out there though). Since I've been down Wild Turkey has a much bigger visitor center, Evan Williams Experience opened in Louisville and Barton is distilling year round (no distilling, only bottling when we went).

Thanks for the info. Nice to hear that they're all unique. I was a little worried they would all be kind of samey.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

spoon0042 posted:

Checked the first and last few pages of the thread and didn't see anything, so... any thoughts on Laphroaig Triplewood? Both it and the 10 year are on sale this month in PA and I'm wondering if it's worth the extra ~$15.

A review of the Laphroaig Triplewood went up on scotch noob. Review Here: http://scotchnoob.com/2014/08/25/laphroaig-triple-wood/

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

So Scotland is voting on it's independence today. It's not a topic I'm educated on in the slightest, but I was curious to see if anyone has come across a write up on how their independence may impact the Whisky business in Scotland.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

At this point, nobody knows what currency Scotland would use much less any particular industry/export segment.

Fair enough, thanks. I suppose I'll just sit back and watch history unfold. :toot:

Edit: I did find this which is basically non-info, but figured I'd post it for those interested...

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/scotland-independence-vote/scotch-whisky-industry-frets-over-independence-vote-n205596

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 18, 2014

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Jameson gets a lot of love as an Irish Whiskey. I believe Redbreast is also popular.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Jameson won't get a lot of love in this thread I imagine.

I don't think it's very good, but it is "popular".

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I live in Cincinnati (relatively close to Bourbon country), and I have a hard time tracking it down around here. Your best bet for finding it may be online...

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

ChetReckless posted:

I really wanted to like Highland Park but I couldn't get over the vague barfy taste I got from it, just like some others. It seems rude to put it that way but I don't know how else to say it.

The wild 'n crazy Richard Paterson calls it baby sick. I can't taste it, but it's the first thing my wife mentioned when trying HP12. :shrug:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I also grabbed Four Roses Single Barrel on sale from BevMo and I'm super psyched to crack it this weekend. What am I in for?

Obviously, the bottles will vary a bit, but from the two I've had I've gotten lots of red hot candies/cinnamon and lots of "floral". I've found the first half of each bottle is significantly better than the 2nd. I'd guess that after some air gets it seems to mellow a bit. Don't let that scare you off though. It's still good and I did buy a 2nd bottle.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Just got done hitting up 5 of the distilleries on the bourbon trail a few weeks ago, and was able to try the Wild Turkey American Honey. Thought it tasted like liquid Bazooka Joe bubble gum. Anyone else get that?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

The Polish Pirate posted:

Yeah, seconding Bar Zoetrope. Guy who runs it actually speaks pretty good English and has a crazy selection of Japanese Whisky. I had some really nice Ichiro's Malt Playing Card series whisky there (I think Queen of Clubs and one of the Jokers). Also generally a fan of the older Nikka stuff. Tends to be a little peatier.

I have what I feel like is a stupid question, but do Japanese distilleries import peat for their whiskey or do they have their own peat laying around that they use?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I got a bottle of HP12 and have decided I just don't like it. The first few sips of a glass are pretty good, but he more I drink of it the more the smoke and lemon flavors fade, and the heather takes over. It winds up tasting like wet grass / vegetation. On the other hand, I've got a bottle of Caol Ila that 12 I'm loving. Far more smoke / meat / tar, way less vegetation.

Can anyone throw some advice / recommendations may way regarding peat? What make the HP so much grassier? Any recommendations for something with more smoke, less grass?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

Is a set of glasses like this: http://www.waterford.com/heritage-straight-sided-tumbler-set-of-6 decent as a set of whiskey glasses for life? Would it be better to get something with more variety of shapes?

I've been using a Glencarin with no complaints, but was wanting something with a bit more weight and pulled the trigger on a set of these: http://www.waterford.com/lismore-7oz-rounded-tumbler-pair

I liked that they were still sort of a "nosing" glass. This: http://www.waterford.com/lismore-5-5-oz-footed-tasting-tumbler-pair is also an option if you want crystal like a Glencarin. Glencarin themselves also makes a crystal version of their own glass.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Jamsta posted:

This totally isn't a recipe :)

100g / 3.5 oz - Butter
300ml / 10 fl oz - Milk
350g / 12.5 oz - Fine caster sugar (don't use HF corn syrup :D )

2 (or more!) shots of the bourbon of your choice
Kosher salt

Mix first 3 ingredients in pan and heat to 115c / 240f
Leave to cool for 5 mins
Pour in bourbon and a little salt and mix thoroughly
Beat the hell out of it until it thickens
Put in greased tray (or use butcher paper) and leave to cool
Salt again when cooled

Eat loads and feel sick, or share with friends and family and feel good.

Does the type of milk matter? Asking for a friend. :hfive:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Jamsta posted:

Creamier the better. I used semi-skimmed, but as long as it's got fatty lactose in it, it'll probably work :D You couldn't probably swap it for cream and it'd be crazy sickly sweet.

Okay, excellent, I'll report back with my findings.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Jamsta posted:

Please do, let us know which whisk(ies) you chose.

IMO, doesn't taste as good. Yup: handling the heat in fudge making is the hardest bit. So easy to over/under cook, and burn the sugar. But when it works it's amazing.

Okay! So the fudge definitely doesn't suck, haha. Had to boil it twice to get it to set. For anyone thinking of making this, make sure to let it cool to 115 - 110 degrees before beating like hell. I tried to mix while it was still hot and it wouldn't set. Boiled again and then let it cool and it thickened right up.

Had to substitute regular sugar for Castor sugar, and went with heavy whipping cream. Ultimately made it with Buffalo Trace. Only other open bottle of bourbon was Russels Reserve, and wasn't brave enough to try Caol Ila or Aberlour Abunadh.

After the success of this batch I'll most definitely be trying different whiskies. I'll also probably adding some candied pecans to a batch as well.

Edit: the remnants:https://imgur.com/a/gjEp0 (doesnt look like much, but tastes amazing).

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 11, 2017

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Got a friend getting married and he's a big fan of Jameson. I've never tried it myself. Anyone know if anything comparable that would make a nice gift?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Old Grand Dad Bonded is hands down the best cheap bourbon. It's better than most bourbons at next price tier as well, imo.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

On the subject of Blantons. Has anyone noticed that it gets significantly better after it's oxidized for a while. Most of the time I think the fresher the bottle the better, but with Blantons I liked both of the bottles I've had the best after they've been about half empty and oxidized for a few months.

Still not sure it's worth the price point with other options that are available, but I don't think getting a single pour in a bar necessarily does it justice.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

TobinHatesYou posted:

I don’t think it’s actually oxidation that makes it better, just alcohol evap. Have you tried adding a generous spoonful of water? Water helps Monkey Shoulder too since I find it a bit raw in terms of alcohol burn.

I haven't tried adding water. I found a while back I preferred almost every dram without water than with, so I just stopped trying so I didn't ruin good booze. I'll give that a shot next time.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

I tried Glendronach 12 the other day and I have to say I was pretty disappointed. I expected it to be something a bit special after the reviews and general positive statements I've read, but it tasted like a pretty standard sherried Scotch. No enormous depth of flavor, no chewy mouthfeel, just OK and a bit thin.

Pretty sure the 18yr Allardice is what gets all the love.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

TobinHatesYou posted:

15yr Revival was the one that got very popular starting about 10 years ago. And then they couldn’t keep up and it’s not currently bottled.

Ahh, you're right, this was it. I was just getting into sherried scotch and chose aberlour abunadah (sp?) Over a bottle of this. I would up loving the aberlour, but being bummed I missed out on this.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I've had a few bottles loose their legs a bit towards the end (Caol Ila 12 & Nikka Coffee Grain), but in both instances the last 1/3 to 1/4 of the bottle sat for somewhere between 8-12 months.

My favorite pour is still the first pour from every bottle...

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

spankmeister posted:

Heh, in my experience the first pour is anemic and it takes a couple days to open up.

You're not wrong, but I love the robustness of the alcohol on that first pour. I tend to favor higher proof stuff because of that. Go go Aberlour A'bunadh neat!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

sadus posted:

Anyone tried a NEAT glass? Recently replaced a broken glencairn and noticed this thing exists.

I'm pretty sure there are bunch of videos of people spilling their drink while trying to drink out of those glasses. I believe they are also supposed to be quite fragile.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Skar posted:

Finally found a bottle of Blantons at the local store. Excited to see if it lives up to my friends high praise.

I've always found Blantons to be better after it's about half empty and oxidized for a bit. So if you're not too impressed give it some time after you've had a few glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Purely anecdotal, but I bought and drank a bottle of Nikka Coffey Grain about a year or two ago. The first few pours were pretty great. Lots of tropical fruit and cinnamon. Once there was a bit of room for it to breath in the bottle it was okay at best. It mellowed out A LOT. I have had no desire to get another bottle.