Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I just got a bottle of Maker's Mark and I just noticed that it has some kind of waxy, rubbery red thing around its neck up to the cap. It was tearable so that you could open the cap, but I couldn't get the top rubber part off and it might scratch my hand. What is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
My friend came back from Japan and gifted me a small bottle of Yamazaki 12 y/o. How lucky am I?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thinking of gifting my friend a bottle of bourbon. He likes Jack Daniels (I know, not a bourbon, but still), what similar stuff can I get that's below $30? I'm thinking of something more upscale or rarer than the standards.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks everyone! This isn't a very bourbon-friendly country but I'll be on the lookout for Four Roses.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How are Suntory Old/Reserve/Royale? I am able to get them inexpensively (close to Japan prices) and I'm too poor to even spring for a Hibiki NAS. I tried Red and it's not bad, belongs more in a highball though. I heard Old was important to the Japanese whisky industry, so I'm pretty curious.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

zmcnulty posted:

With any of those you're primarily getting (Japanese) grain whisky rather than malt, but Reserve is my preference of the bunch. Also an entirely different experience from any Hibiki.
Red contains "grain spirits" that aren't exactly whisky, so tread lightly.
If you can get it at the Japan price, sure, get Old too just for a piece of history. It had like 86% market share at its peak in the 80s in Japan.

oh I thought so. I read something about a new law being passed and now stuff like Nikka From the Barrel isn't technically Japanese whisky anymore. Not that it super duper matters to me. I try everything neat first then play around with ice, water, and I do like highballs.

Shame the general consensus is that the good stuff is priced way too high for its own good when there are comparable, affordable offerings.

I bought a pair of cheap tilted glasses because I'm a sucker for the stuff, then almost immediately regretted it as I read about crystal glasses. So, what glass do you guys use for whisky?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I got Glencairn-style snifter glasses too (lead-free crystal) for $6, will report.

is there any significant difference between leaded and lead-free crystal?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I read an article that says crystal can be made with a metal oxide that's not lead, so looks like crystal doesn't strictly have to be leaded. Having 24% lead oxide (the EU regulation) just sounds bad news to me.

Anyway, I visited a local whisky bar and had Suntory Reserve and AO. I liked both, but I gravitated towards Reserve more. It just feels more refined and I prefer the nose. There was a bottle of Royal on display but I was told that was the owner's personal bottle lol

They served them on what seemed like legit Glencairn glasses (not like mine which are markedly less in make) and it was very nice. They also had a whisky water dropper which was new to me, but I used it (if a bit imprecisely, but just adding a bit of water seemed to improve the whisky).

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Been looking at the higher end of popular Scotch blends. JW Gold NAS seems meh, but Platinum or 18 seems well-liked (are they the same? There is a JW 18 and a JW Platinum Label with an 18-year age statement). The general consensus on Blue is it's overpriced for what it is. How about the one in the fancy bottle, the XR 21?

Now on the Chivas side, looks like they have many variations of the 12 where they age it in different barrels. Hmm. The 15 seems new but doesn't seem to have a lot of fans. The 18 is cheap for something with an 18-year age statement? Any goons enjoy any of these?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

spankmeister posted:

None of those are worth the price of admission IMO. I haven't tried the platinum, but the 18 was very nice and silky smooth, just not very good, iykwim. Just... Inoffensive.

Imo the absolute best out of the JW lineup is the green label 15yo, which is a blended malt, meaning it only contains malt whisky from pot stills and no grain whisky from column stills.

So idk if you're looking to expand beyond the popular stuff or not, but here are a couple of suggestions if you do:

Some more off the beaten path blends that, imo, offer good value are Antiquary (12 and 21 come to mind), Black Bull (12yo and the 30yo if you can find it (unlikely)).

Anything that Compass Box makes is excellent, their Great King Street blends are really good, and their lineup of blended malts is great (orchards house, spice tree, peat monster). They also do a blended grain whisky that's called Hedonism which has some very old grain whisky in it, and it's fantastic.

Their one-offs are often stellar too, but come at a high price. Usually it's worth it. They have one now called Ultramarine which I think is a nod to JW blue label but I haven't dared to look at prices yet.

Another good place to took for blended malt is Douglas Laing, their remarkable regional malts are very good. Rock Island, Timorous Beastie, Scallywag, etc.
They often do age-stated expressions of these which are very good.

I looked it up and turns out that Platinum was renamed to 18 after all, so it's just the same thing. I have always heard good things about Green Label but it's getting harder and harder to find in stores because it's been discontinued, but I'll keep an eye on it!

What's the difference between malt and grain whisky, anyway? Is one superior in quality to the other?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Has anyone tried any of the following cheap Nikka bottles? Our local store has them at around the $20-30 range:

Black Clear Blend - smooth, peatless
Hi Nikka - easy drinking, good for highballs
Black Rich Blend - balanced taste
Black Deep Blend - rich and peaty

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What's rye whisky like? Anything notably different?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Me and my friends drank a bottle of Green Label over the weekend. One friend sends us a photo of his own liquor haul on Monday and he bought another bottle of Green Label. The most he's tried before was Double Black, and he prefers blended to single malt. Feels great lol

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Not really a whiskey question but as some of them use bourbon as base, what's a good honey liqueur for $30 or below? I've gone for Jim Bean Honey most of the time but I wonder if Tennessee Honey is better? For mixing and drinking neat I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Lowness 72 posted:

Do they still make wild turkey honey? Loved that poo poo in college.

looks like it's still being sold and is under the price range I specified!