Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The 1910 Old Forester is top tier, if you guys can find it. My local bourbon club did an Old Forrester night, and it was the clear winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Blantons store picks are available in Michigan. Different distribution cuts certain brands off from entire states it seems.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Peanut butter whiskey, kahlua, and cold brew coffee make a hell of a drink. Maybe add some bourbon cream?

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 13, 2020

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I just found a bottle of Blue Spot in Lansing. Single bottle delivered. They had a single bottle of Red too but that was gone when I showed up.

Irish goons, mail me liquors.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Those sound like joke names.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Raising a 12 year Brown Willy to my lips and nodding across the bar at the rest of the English.

- Charles Dickens

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Residency Evil posted:

Message is clear guys, England is trash and any scotch/whisky/bourbon I pick up there is trash.

If you can, find Red or Blue spot Irish. They’re very hard to find stateside and very good. Both would probably run near $130, but I’m just guessing cause I know union jack about British liquor markets.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I use it to tart up some iced coffee and bourbon cream. It’s a liqueur, so just use it like one.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Sea grass is a complete anomaly for me. It tastes like…. Something?

e: apparently I’m remembering Armeda. Thats the odd one.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 29, 2022

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’m really appreciating the Red Breast Lustau right now. More complex than the standard stuff, not as outrageous on the alcohol notes as Cask Strength.

If you like Irish, give this one a shot.

(I also got a line on another Red Spot tonight. Ideally I’ll have it in hand soon.)

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Went to my buddys to finally grab the bottle of Red Spot he snagged for me and ended up walking out with four wildly different bottles.

(Apologies for the blurry photo)

An Elijah Craig barrel proof store pick (8 years, smells like the inside of a warm cedar sauna).

A Knappogue Castle store pick (a backup to a bottle I already have). Super friendly and drinkable, more character than regular Knappogue.

The Stellum black label. It’s a blend, but I have a store pick of a single barrel that I liked less. The black label runs $100 in Michigan, but the store pick was $60. I don’t think either are worth the price, and I expected the lower shelf Barrell offerings to be more distinct. They’re fine bourbons, but they’re not as unique as Barrell stuff. (Also the packaging sucks and is boring)

Finally the Red Spot. If you know Irish Whiskey you know this stuff. This is officially my backup bottle so that I could feel safe pouring the one I already had. It took me 1.5 years to find the first one and about another year to find the second, so these are for special occasions.

If it counts, I only paid for the Elijah Craig and the Red Spot. My buddy is a very generous guy. I’m gonna pour the Stellum Black tonight and enjoy the taste of free whiskey.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Josh Lyman posted:

I drink all my 110+ proof stuff neat but I’m also a masochist.

Same. I don’t begrudge anyone for what they like though. You wanna pour Pappy on coke? Your money my friend.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Glencairns are a great way to find out that the soap you use has a scent that lingers. Rinse those suckers an extra time.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Johnny Walker is the only one I know about that makes a specific label that’s only purchasable in duty free shops. You’d probably have a better selection at home or at your destination.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Mine is barrel strength, whatever mash bill, but I can never find it in Michigan
:negative:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, lead-free crystal is just glass.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

gwrtheyrn posted:

In that sense leaded crystal is also just glass.

Leaded crystal probably looks shinier. That was probably the only reason why it was ever made in the first place.

No, I mean to say that by definition crystal must have lead. It’s not crystal if it doesn’t have lead. It’s just a finished glass.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

A square is a rectangle.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I really liked platinum, but it’s been about six years since I had it. It seemed much closer to its worth than blue.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, you nailed it. Just a law to guarantee you won’t buy methanol with food coloring in it.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

A lot of my friend group can tell the blend on blind tastes. MGP and BT and all that. I’ve never paid that much attention, but it’s certainly possible.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

DerekSmartymans posted:

It’s entirely possible. You just have to be an alcoholic to do it as a hobby. Sommelier’s usually get training…do whiskies have an equivalent, or is it just “taster?”

Master distillers get this type of training. If you can’t identify which flavors and scents you’re after, how are you gonna change your process to produce em?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’ve heard that people with very sensitive senses of smell are highly sought after in the world of spices and flavorings, and also perfumes. They still need to be trained. I have a very sensitive nose and can smell things others cannot, but it would still take me a long time to catch different aromatics and differentiate them, and even longer to know what they mean in the distillation process.

As an aside, a senior scientist I used to work at was previously employed with McCormick spices, and worked with one of their super smellers. He said the smeller was able to detect things that were below the resolution of their standard GCs, but were confirmed on more advanced instruments.

I guess what I’m saying is, keep a whiskey journal, try to differentiate notes. Speak with a distiller or a flavor profiler during a distillery tour and ask for tips. You might be able to do something with it if you’re dedicated.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I had a bottle of Angels Envy shipped to a buddy in England and it cost me $65 total. I just saw a bottle at costco in the United States of FREEDOM and it was loving $80. Bourbon prices are insane.

That said, Michigan state minimum also went up on stuff like imported irish. Yellow Spot is now $125 a bottle. I guess I need to go pick one up before the price goes up more, wtf.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I felt ok paying $100 for yellow spot, but if it climbs any more I don’t think I can justify it as a “cheaper replacement for Red Spot.”

This must also mean that blue spot is like $140 now too. :negative:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

spankmeister posted:

Have you tried Power's John's lane 12yo?

Not yet, but you’re not the first to mention it. Needs to go on the list I guess

Horn posted:

Was it the bourbon or the rye you saw at 80? For the rye that would be MSRP but highway robbery for the bourbon.

I honestly don’t remember. Costco doesn’t have to sell at state min, but they usually do. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt here.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Four roses yellow. Can’t beat it for the price.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Drinking Nikka Coffey Grain on a camping trip due to recommendations from this thread and it’s spectacular. Just a great pour and a perfect straight whiskey.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ogmius815 posted:

One sentence review: Old Grand Dad bonded tastes much, much better neat than it has any right to given that it costs less than $30 for a bottle, but its cocktail performance disappoints.

One word response: Yep.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

silvergoose posted:

Never heard of Israeli whisky before.

Sounds like it’s for good reason.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Something for peoples hands. Like a fact sheet or a notebook or something like that.

e: and spring water and ice. Multiple glasses as well, including rocks and glencairns

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, that’s it. Having info available for the bottles and a place for people to write their own tasting notes is a pretty big thing.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Blue laws: the only way to keep the Catholics in line

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Wild Turkey 101 still kicks rear end and it’s so cheap you’d be foolish not to have a bottle on hand.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Green spot is now $65 here, but Weller is still $28 if you can find it.

I hate the liquor acquisition system in my state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

the yellow dart posted:

Moved to Germany this year and given what is available, looking to get into scotch a little more. Any recommendations on scotch for someone who likes the vanilla/oak of bourbon, a little heat, but isn't really into any more than a real hint of peat?

Try a Macallan and report back.