Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
I've heard mixed reports on the single barrel. A liquor store employee told me the Small Batch was better because then the Master Blender could create a specific flavor profile, whereas the Single Barrel was more left to chance. A liquor rep who had Four Roses in her portfolio told me about the same thing. But then I'll ask someone else and get a completely different story.

Whisky Mag has mixed reviews as well, not sure if this is from the same bottle/sample or not.

I think it comes down to luck in choosing a good bottle of the single barrel, which I've only tried once at a tasting and found it lacking in dimension compared to the bottle of small batch I had at home at the time.

Off topic now, I picked up a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask the other day, and while I'm not a huge fan of really smokey peat (I prefer Island peatiness more than Islay) I must say I love this bottle and I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
Using a decent whisk(e)y in a mixed drink is not sacrilege. Mixing it with carbonated liquid-candy however...
Seriously though, mix it how you like but realize you're doing something similar to cooking with an expensive bottle of wine. Either way, you're not going to taste those nuances you paid for, so why waste your money?

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
Part of the reason for high-priced craft whiskey is the fact that it requires so much investment in advance, often years before they'll have anything they can sell. Even then, it's a risk if the whiskey will be any good, and batch to batch might differ while they tweak their recipes. It's a lot different than distilling vodka or gin and selling right away. Certainly not a business venture I'd make. On the other hand, I think in a few years we'll start seeing some very good craft whiskeys at more reasonable prices. Right now we're paying for their investment and for high demand of usually short-supply whiskeys (that's you, Templeton Rye).

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry

CrandleBerries posted:

Got Highland Park 12, Balvenie Doublewood 12 and a Glenlivet 12.. Cant wait to taste them all.. I've only had Johnny walker black as far as Scotch is concerned..

Anybody have advice on sitting down and trying all three in slow succession, one after the other.

I've read somewhere here that coke can help clear the pallet in between tasting drinks.. I think taking breaks in between should rest the taste buds enough right?

Unless you're going for some absolute taste test, I wouldn't worry too much about cleansing your palate. For me (and I'd guess for most people) the latter drinks always taste better as you've moved beyond tasting/feeling the alcohol. So many people tasting even wine at <15% alcohol taste too much of the alcohol, so moving to something that's >40% alcohol can be difficult for them. That burn doesn't bother people after they're more familiar with Scotch, but what I guess I'm saying is, I think it's more important to have your palate conditioned than it is to have it cleansed.

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
If you can smell with your ears you've had too much bourbon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
I'd go with Highland Park 12 or Talisker 10, or you could just buy him a Glenlivet 15 yr. I actually preferred the 15 to their 18yr, though it's been a long time since I've tried either. But the HP or Talisker should be similar enough in style, but much more interesting Scotches, especially for their price point (HP 12yr ~$35, Talisker ~$40, at least around Minneapolis).