Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Just picked up a Longrow 9 Sauternes Cask, the single cask. The drat thing is a beautiful creme brulee in a bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Yeah I've had three different bottles over the year, all as gifts. It's always a good dram, particularly if you like sweet sherry, but not quite good enough to justify a purchase at over a hundred. Which here in NYC it'll be: 115-130 is what I'd expect.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Or if you can find Nikka from the Barrel, it's juuuust under the proof where it tastes like firewater, but it's a fantastic, and different, whiskey that'll suit a lot of palates, as well as being something a bit special to suit the occasion.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Back when you could get a bottle for like $45 that was one of the best bargains in whiskey. Still love the stuff.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Lowness 72 posted:

Sale on Irish whiskey today at my local store. Are the Waterford's any good?

Agree with Chalupa here. It's certainly a good project from both an intellectual and experimental standpoint, and worth supporting, but for the per bottle money you can get better liquid.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Nimmy posted:

I went to my local big Texas liquor store chain and saw like 4 Bardstown Discovery Series 6 stacked back. I fought the urge to buy them out, but this is the first time I've seen them just sitting there in the wild at MSRP. This store also gives a cash/debit discount, so actually below MSRP. Should I go back and grab one to send to a friend? I feel like I probably should.

Which Spec's was this? Tempted to send my brother to pick up a bottle if somewhat nearby.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Do you have stairs in your distillery?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Found a shop that had restocked Nikka from the Barrel and snapped one up. Excited, it's been a few years since I had this one, even if I still miss the days it was less than fifty bucks.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

spankmeister posted:

I wouldn't go so far to say that if you like one, you'll like the other, because they're different things. But Nikka from the barrel is good whisky, and worth a try regardless.

Definitely this. NftB is very very different from coffey grain. First, it's got some peat to it. Not like an Islay, but it's there. Second, it's quite a bit more brusque and hot, even if watered down to the same level of alcohol. It's much burlier than the stereotype of a light, subtle, floral oak led Japanese whiskey, with darker notes and more fruit, caramel, and the like prominence.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I mean do I want to try it? Yes. Once and exactly once. Is it an "Old Fashioned," even at a definition capacious enough to include brandy + Sprite? No.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I've had success converting bourbon fans with sherry-heavy scotch. How much is Aberlour 12 or Springbank 10 near you?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Yeah. If you want a briney Islay rather than a smoke bomb, caol Isla 12 is ocean and olive oil and black pepper and it’s just fantastic when you’re in the mood.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

If you’re looking at everyday Irish whiskies maybe try Teeling as well? The single pot sill is a bit pricey, but even their base spirit is a bit more “spirit” forward than a Jameson or a Bushmills.

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 6, 2024

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

GD_American posted:

I was driving home from OKC and had to stop for gas at a random Chevron station in a little nothing Louisiana town a long distance from anything else.

It had more booze and a better selection than my local ABC store. It had poo poo I'd never even heard of. I like the idea of some lone parish in LA where everyone is a liquor snob

There’s a couple of states in the USA which are just the “Drinking States”, where it’s woven into the culture of everyday life differently. You can argue about the full list, but Louisiana and Wisconsin are 1a and 1b no matter what.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I find the Port Charlotte more interesting than the Ardbeg. It’s still smokey, but to me it has more going on underneath that smoke. To be fair I’m quite biased, as I really like the Bruichladdich house style even in their less smokey stuff (even even in their gin)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

pim01 posted:

Did you try their Octomore? It's super interesting and tasty (albeit ridiculously peated).

I’ve had two different Octomores, one 8.1 and one more recent that I forget. They’re always fun and interesting, but they present to me as a little one-note and more syrupy than I love in texture. If I’m dropping that much coin on a peat bomb I’m probably looking at laphroaig 25 or one of the Ardbeg specials, because they’re more complex than just “HEY HERE’S SOME PEAT FOLLOWED BY MORE PEAT.”