Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Quiet Feet posted:

Bought a bottle of Black Velvet in my ongoing quest to try garbage, and it isn't actually that bad. Very one note, just some caramel and not much else but it's really chewy and doesn't have any weird or off flavors. Seems like it'd be good for slipping in coffee or cocoa in the winter.

My first (only) exposure was at a hillbilly party I stumbled across while looking for someone, it was surprisingly inoffensive. Both, to the inevitable question. I had about half a red solo cup of BV, haven't had it since. For just a little more you could get Evan Williams or Ancient Ancient Age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I tried an infinity bottle with just bourbons and it quickly turned bleh.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Was given a bottle of JW Blue, looking forward to a taste. I'm not big on Red or Black but always liked Green.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

It's been a few years, but when I went Beam had the best overall tour. I also really liked Four Roses and Buffalo Trace (BT is not on the official trail if that matters to anyone). Wild Turkey was probably the most disappointing. Half the tour was in a single building looking at 2 grain silos making mash all controlled by a computer. I know that's just modern advancement, but the experience was pretty soulless.

That's a shame. WT made the trip for me, but it's been awhile, maybe 2008-ish? I'd have to look. We got to meet Jimmy and his son. We toured the warehouse, they told us how quickly whiskey matures in each barrel based on proximity to the doors, watched them remove whiskey from the barrels, it was the highlight of my trip. And the place smelled like bourbon heaven. We could smell the Angel Share from 1/4 mile away. I've read they have modernized and separated the offices from the gift shop, but it was all together back then.

BT was also a good tour, very modernized while trying hard not to look it. Woodford let us taste barrel strength bourbon, only 2 of use were willing, and we had to share a glass. Didn't make it to Beam and 4R was closing just as we got there, but I got to meet Jim Rutledge at a tasting later on, good guy.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
In late but Oban was my first thought.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’m a bourbon drinker and the only scotch I’ve ever had is lovely Dewars and JW Red. Are the Oban and Balvenie mentioned above good starter scotches? I don’t think I’ll like super peaty or smoky scotch.

Yes, you call also check the OP, couple mentions there.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

tokenbrownguy posted:

Can anyone recommend an apple or other fruit whiskey for my dad? He likes the poo poo that tastes like corn syrup apple flavor and ten high so really anything is a step up.

If available in your area, Carriage House Apple Brandy is delicious.
https://www.thecovesnc.com/carolina-distillery-generations-tasty-brandy/

Fair warning, in my experience people who drink cheap whiskey do not want and often will not drink better booze.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Wacky Delly posted:

Someone mentioned some scotches for bourbon drinkers earlier in the thread and I can't find what was recommended.

So what scotches should I look at as a bourbon drinker? I like the spicier/high rye bourbon more than wheated, but don't have a very broad palate/experience.

As a bourbon drinker I like the smoky or medicinal scotches, like Lagavulin or Laphroaig. But I also like Oban 14 which is not. Most of them taste kind of thin to me.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I went to a "speakeasy" style bar, whatever that means, with a very nice selection of liquor and asked for a Wild Turkey double and was told, "We don't dooo Wild Turkey," in a voice that sounds very much like you imagine. So I looked across this impressive collection of liquors, stood up, pissed on the bar, and walked out. No that didn't happen except in my imagination, but I ordered EC instead, downed it and walked out. LOL. The pretentiousness still has me laughing.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

sean10mm posted:

Wild Turkey is one of those things where either the particular "funk" in their whiskeys agrees with you, in which case you just just keep buying different Wild Turkey products forever, or it just tastes like charred moldy raisins or something and will never agree with you.

I think it's like cilantro where to a certain % of people it tastes like soap and everyone else thinks it's fine.

Interesting, first I've ever heard anyone say it tastes different. 101 was my gateway bourbon, the first one I liked and still one of my favorites. It hurts me a little to say this, but I like OGD100 a little more than 101. And I think OGD100 is a little more consistent. But Russells Reserve is in my top 5, makes a delicious Old Fashioned.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I was gifted a bottle of Firestone and Robertson Texas bourbon. For only being aged 4 years it was smooth and tasty. Apparently, the Texas climate speeds things along because it tasted more like 6-7 year bourbon. No doubt being wheated didn't hurt either. It's made with Texas corn, wheat, and yeast. Good middling bourbon.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
What to do with peanut butter whiskey? It was a gift.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Rare Breed makes a drat fine Old Fashioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Guess whose state liquor store finally sells Mellow Corn ... after hearing about it for years I was able to buy a bottle. Haven't cracked it open yet.