Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Do it. For 35 pounds, you won't regret it. I haven't had that particular cask, and they are variable, but always in good directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Bourbon IS a type of whiskey so whatever bartender you're talking to isn't well-informed

Agreed. Whiskey/whisky is a superset, and there are a load of different subtypes. Bourbon, Scotch, Irish, rye, Canadian, Japanese, and so on are all whisk[e]y, but there is enormous variation between those types and even within each of them.

A bunch of the types have specific legal requirements associated with the name. Bourbon, for example, must be made from a grist of 51% or more corn, must be distilled in the US, must be aged in new charred oak barrels, and a number of other requirements. Rye whiskey is similar, but must be 51% or more rye (in the US, anyway - other rules might apply in other places). And all of the region-specific types have their own rules, first among them that they must be distilled in the named country - you can't make Scotch whisky in Ireland, and you can't make Irish whiskey in Scotland - but with additional strictures as well.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Ah, gently caress, wrong thread. And no way to remove the image, either. Apologies.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 15, 2017

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

It's the home brewing rig I am building. Three burners set up for natural gas instead of propane, each capable of well over 100,000 BTU. From right to left will rest my hot liquor tank (15 gallons), my mashtun (15 gallons), and my boiler (22 gallons). I'll be able to make 15 gallons of beer at a time, though I will have to rearrange a bit and step down to 10 gallon batches of very strong styles. My fuel costs will decrease about 80 to 90% from my current rig, and later on I will add electronically controlled gas valves.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I was just in Trader Joe's, and saw Paul John whisky, from Goa, India. Has anyone tasted their Brilliance and Edited bottlings?

Here's the Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_John_(whisky)

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Scotch whiskys come in several regional styles. If you don't care for the smoke and peat, don't feel bad - that's not a flavor everyone loves. But if you like The Macallan, you can look for other whiskys from the Speyside region. Glenfiddich, Glenfarclas, Balvenie, Cragganmore, Aberlour (one of my favorites is their A'Bunadh - definitely worth it if you liked the sherry character) and so on. They won't be the same, but they will be stylistically similar. You might also look into Highland whisky, which also tends to be very low on the peat/smoke flavor.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

What flavors does she prefer in whisky? If she's a drinker of Islay Scotches, try her on Lapsang Souchong tea.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Yeah, Lapsang Souchong smells and tastes like a tire fire (and I mean that in a good way), so it may help tick some of those boxes for her.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

everythingWasBees posted:

deep fruity flavors that I guess are the "sherry-like/port-like" flavors

Aberlour A'Bunadh

It's like Christmas cake. Deep fruit and spices, soaked in sherry.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Yeah, it's a cask strength bottling, so it can be as high as 60% alcohol. A little water definitely doesn't hurt it.

Just looked in my cupboard - mine is batch 52, at 60.5% abv.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 11, 2017

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Aberlour A'Bunadh, if it fits in your budget. It's my go-to when a sherry bomb is called for.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Cool, I hope it serves you well. Be aware that it's a cask-strength bottling, so a little water is not to be feared. The one I have is over 60% ABV.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Scotch has several regional variations. That one is a Speyside. Other Speyside whiskys will be at least somewhat similar, but of course unique in their own ways. There are lots of justifiably famous producers in that region - any of these would probably be a good place to start expanding your tasting.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

bourbon is a Kentucky thing

Bourbon can be made, and labeled as such, in any state in the Union.

http://www.ascendantspirits.com/breaker-bourbon/

Buellton, California, for example.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

WANT.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I bought a bottle of Mellow Corn today. Yes, it's kinda raw and not terribly complex, but it's actually an amazing value. $13.40 including tax at my local Total Wine, and good enough to drink with rocks or whatever else you like to put in your whiskey. Kinda rough when taken neat, but I've had worse. I'd rather drink this than lots of well bourbon I have been served.

When the weather gets rough and it's whiskey in the shade, this would not be a terrible choice at all.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Weltlich posted:

I'm not even entirely sure what "tabasco mash" is.

George Dickel Website posted:

We rest George Dickel for 30 days in ex-TABASCO® barrels that still contain some residual aged TABASCO® pepper mash, allowing spice & flavor imparted on the wood to finish our whisky. We then take TABASCO® Brand Pepper Sauce and distill it to create an essence, which we then carefully blend together to create George Dickel Tabasco Brand Barrel Finish. The result is a deliciously smooth whisky with a spicy finish.

I think the "residual aged TABASCO® pepper mash" must just be the slurry of peppers and salt that's left when they dump the barrel of Tabasco sauce. Squished-up ("mashed") peppers, not an actual grain mash where starch conversion takes place. Whether deliberate or not, there's an impression created that peppers are somehow part of the whiskey mash, thanks to the ambiguous nature of the English language. Note that the whiskey is created well before the 30-day rest in the barrels that formerly held the Tabasco pepper ferment.

Then additional Tabasco sauce is distilled (but not, I would guess, in a whiskey still) to create an essence, which is added.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Mandalay posted:

Where do you guys get good glencairn glasses on a budget?

I got mine from Amazon. I got a set of 4 for $30, but there are lots of different set available.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

They took our booze!

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Ken White nails the reply:

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1058351531177607168

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

A small post-Christmas gift from my parents. Does anyone know about this Viking Honour bottling? Is this different than their usual 12-year bottling? All I really know is that they picked it up at the distillery.

EDIT: poo poo, sorry about the sidewards picture. Not sure why it did that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 31, 2018

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

a mysterious cloak posted:

It's still sitting there, beckoning and unopened.

You know there's a fix for that, right?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I like Mellow Corn better, but it's not the worst thing I have ever consumed.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Picked up a couple of BiB bargains today: Old Overholt rye and Evan Williams bourbon. I couldn't find any more Mellow Corn, though.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Enigma posted:

It says 70 cl, but from what I'm reading elsewhere it's actually the same size bottles as in the U.S. (75 cl or 750 ml), is that correct?

No; UK market bottles are actually 70cL, or 700mL.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

zmcnulty posted:

Hell, some people buy casks for themselves.

I'm half-assed trying to get my dad to do this. Probably not a whole cask for himself, but I think it would be awesome to get me and him and a few other family and friends to go in on one of those barrel-sampling tours at a distillery and come home to bunch of family reserve whiskey.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I'm a huge advocate of Aberlour A'Bunadh. I see it for about $75, and I think it's well worth it.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

That's because you drink the wrong types of sherry. Get yourself a nice Amontillado.

I have a new cask that I bought as Amontillado, but I am not sure. I trust your palate more than mine, old friend. Would you come deep into my cellars and taste it with me?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Deceptive Thinker posted:

all of these except for the Rittenhouse qualify as straight bourbon

I thought Mellow Corn was aged in second-fill casks, which would make it Not Bourbon? It's possible I am misunderstanding something, though.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I think (but I'm probably wrong) most of the flavor of MC comes from the bourbon that was in the cask for the first fill. Scotch gets some of that, too, of course, but an all-barley distillate has a bunch of flavor, and I think a corn-whiskey distillate is less rich - leading to the thin flavor you mentioned. Still some flavor from the whiskey that used to be in the cask, but a dilute, hollow touch laid over the blandish sweetness and roughness of the corn based distillate. I've noticed that MC tastes a lot like Evan Williams, which is also produced by Heaven Hill.

Honestly, I like MC pretty well, although I also like good whisk(e)y.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

betterinsodapop posted:

I always try to keep a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 on hand, it's one of the absolute best values out there.

I laughed the other day in Trader Joe's because they have both WT101 and their house brand high-rye bourbon on the shelf - but the WT is a buck cheaper than the TJ stuff.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Laphroaig tastes amazing for all the wrong reasons.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

My wife brought home an Alexander Murray bottling of Mannochmore 14 single cask from Trader Joes today. Have any of you tried it?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

Get your corn on today.

I need to get me more of that, honestly.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Odd Mutant posted:

The George Dickel Tabasco Finish is really good for cooking, awful for drinking.

Seems like it would be good in a tomato/molasses based BBQ sauce.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

Complete madness.

I really like drinking good whisk(e)y, but I can't stomach paying for it. I'm much more in the Mellow Corn / WT101 camp than the Pappy camp, for example. $25 is a price I am really happy with, and I'll splash out for the occasional $50 to $100 bottle, but I've just resigned myself to never tasting any of those stratospheric bottles.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Buuuuutttt... they sell bottlings with the actual cask construction listed on the label. Their "Private Selection" bottlings call out the types of staves in the finishing barrel.

So, yeah, I'm gonna say they are actually marketing on the idea that the flavor comes from the wood.

https://www.makersmark.com/makers-mark-private-selection

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 9, 2021

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

The odds seem very very high. I'd keep it as a family memento or decoration, but I wouldn't drink whisky out of it.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Or are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I picked up an Eagle Rare 10 and an Old Forester Single Barrel store pick last night. My wife is on a Scotch kick at the moment, so I may not get to them for a bit.