Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm more of a cocktail guy, but I've been trying to get into whiskey since my father and grandfather always enjoyed it. Can someone give a general summary of the differences between bourbon, rye, and Canadian? I've only tried a few decent-but-affordable blends (Grouse, Turkey 101, Buffalo Trace, etc.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kenning posted:

Canadian whiskey is an abomination of neutral grain spirits and despair.
I recently sat down with some whiskey on the rocks and tried Crown Royal, Grouse, and Turkey 101 in that sitting. The Crown Royal had an alcoholic bite and a spicy taste, but it felt like there was no body of "base" underlying it, if that makes sense. The bourbon had much more substance. How's about that Wild Turkey rye?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Schpyder posted:

As for Ohio, forget it. That's an ABC state, and while not as bad as some states, you can straight up forget finding rarer stuff. That said, the best place I found was Corner's Beverage Shoppe in Gahanna on the corner of Morse and E. Johnstown, but apparently they've closed? There's another one up around Polaris somewhere, but I've never been to that one. The best source for beer in Columbus is probably Kenny Road Market, on Kenny north of Henderson a bit. I don't remember if they carried spirits, but if they did, I wasn't impressed. I can't think of another place that really grabbed me, but I've heard good things about Weiland's.
The only good thing about living in an ABC state is being able to read the price list online and know what I'm going to spend. In Virginia the stores actually have a fine range of mid-range whiskeys (although I can't get Rittenhouse), what's difficult is getting decent mixing liqueurs.

I think gin lasts forever because it is literally Pine-Sol.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
What would you guys say is the best "rail" bourbon for making lots of sours and juleps at a party? Last time I did this, my guests found Old Forester more than tolerable.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
What's so bad about Wild Turkey 80, anyway? I've never had it; does the dilution create a very different flavour profile?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Well, I, at least, have a moral commitment to never serving vodka.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've really wanted to try some Black Grouse, but for some reason Virginia ABC only sells it by the handle. I wanted to get my Dad some for Christmas, but he's not going to drink a handle any time soon when he's an occasional sipper and he's got a couple bourbons in his cabinet as well.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Are you drinking them neat? Tainted ice can gently caress up whiskey.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

I like turtles posted:

Thaaat could be it. Ok.
Yeah, the ice in your freezer's ice maker can absorb a bit of smell and flavour from all kinds of things in your freezer--like, say, frozen fish. I figure the quality of your tap water could be a problem as well, if you're adding a splash.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Rose's doesn't really say what they put in their grenadine. I use Torani pomegranate syrup because it really tastes like pomegranate and is real cane sugar.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

MOAR posted:

What do you guys keep as a reasonable priced everyday drinking whiskey?
Seconding Wild Turkey 101.

I may be excoriated for this, but I think Canadian Club is great for sours, especially for guests who aren't regular cocktail drinkers.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Tigren posted:

Acetone, the main ingredient in nail polish remover, has a faintly fruity odor to it. Go waft a bit towards your nose.
That's what all vodka tastes like to me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Vincent Valentine posted:

the most simple joy one can experience
You're not supposed to put your dick in the whiskey.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Thanks to whoever recommended Bulleit rye.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Their only product that I know of is "LBL Moonshine" and their homepage has a guy wearing what I can only describe as Hot Topic Cowboy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I’m looking for the best bottles you can get for under $20. Any style of whiskey but no scotch. Rebel Yell and Black Velvet Reserve have been a long time go to for me but I’m looking to branch out.
Evan Williams' offerings rule this price range, along with Overholt for rye. Other worthwhile bottles in this range are Old Forester, Old Grand Dad, Canadian Club (though for some reason this is love-it-or-hate-it), and some more obscure gems like Mellow Corn and Kentucky Tavern.

Evan Williams White or 1743 is my go-to for quick-and-dirty sours, bourbon and coke, etc., and it's not like it's bad in an Old Fashioned when you forget that you ran out of rye. Just cut down on the sugar, because all the good stuff in this price range is sweet and flabby.

Enigma posted:

I think there's a bourbon floating out there that has both rye and wheat.
I think Canadian Club's policy towards whiskey ingredients is "Sorry! Did you want to be in our whiskey? Sure!"

everythingWasBees posted:

So beer's been my drink of choice for a while, but due to medical reasons I can't drink non-distilled alcohol without being sick as a dog, so I figure it's about time for me to branch out.
For a college student who's willing to spend a bit but is obviously hesitant to spend much, especially on something new, what would you recommend? My favorite flavors from beer are these deep fruity flavors that I guess are the "sherry-like/port-like" flavors in barleywines and darker trappist beers, and so if there's an equivalent in Whisky I'd be interested.
Man, there are definitely some whiskeys with fruity and winy notes, but they're mostly scotches that start around $40, Glenmorangie being my favourite.

If you enjoy the body and spicy, earthy flavours of whiskey but you also like floral and fruit flavour...have you considered rum? Rum is a really diverse and underrated spirit, and you can try a whole lot of really good bottles under $30 apiece. Consider Pusser's British Navy Rum, Appleton, and Coruba if you can find it.

(And if you like those, other good cheap dark rums are Gosling's, Myers, and Cruzan Black Strap. But those are dark rums heavy on the molasses and to a lesser extent, vanilla. I'd recommend those to a fan of stouts before I'd recommend them to a fan of barleywine.)

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 1, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I recently picked up a bottle of Old Overholt Bonded on a whim, and was impressed. Puts some fire on your palate but isn't harsh.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
A toddy is just whiskey or rum, a bit of lemon juice, and a bit of honey topped off with hot water. You can use tea instead of water, and you can add bitters, but the basic recipe is extremely simple.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
There's no accounting for taste, but I can't imagine putting in the work and taking on the loans to set up a distillery, and settle on "You Know, Like Beer-Thirty, But For Bourbon" as my brand.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I didn't get it either; I had to see the bottle

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Well, one of the reasons I love rum is that there's a comparable degree of diversity and complexity, but without the marketing hype and conspicuous consumption that attaches itself to brandy and whiskey.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Liquor is the only issue where I find myself agreeing with Republican politicians on a regular basis. Outlaw poo poo that's going to make my optic nerves explode and then get the gently caress away from my booze.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Odd Mutant posted:

I bought a $5 bottle of Revel Stroke Blended Canadian Whiskey and oh boy was it the worse thing ever. I forgot how bad cheap alcohol can be. A reminder of "Oh yeah, it can stink and taste like hydrogen peroxide."

But instead of throwing it out, I decided to have a little fun with this and read up on what you can do with bad alcohol. I saw a foodhack where you can put bad vodka through a charcoal water filter to "remove chemical impurities" that can attribute to that "non-edible alcohol product" characteristic and decided to give it a shot with the whiskey and filter it through my Brita water pitcher 11 times.

And it actually significantly improved it! Somewhat. Sort of. What I mean to say is that while it significantly removed the bad chemical smell and taste, it may have also removed other flavor characteristics from the whiskey (or this $5 bottle of crap didn't have any to begin with.) Either way I now have a bottle of corn alcohol that tastes lightly sweet and lightly like something you could use it to disinfect your foot or clean a CPU with.

But maybe now I can add my own flavoring to it? I got some kitchen baking goods that could be used to emulate a more complex whiskey profile. I mean, gently caress it, what's there to lose?
Unfortunately this is not worth it, because you're wearing out your filters improving this awful liquor. I recommend putting it in Coke or orange juice or whatever.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

biglads posted:

So today is my birthday and despite being surrounded by hundreds of bottles of whisky I'm getting bladdered on Ukrainian vodka. Cheers whisk(e)y goons!

Here is a picture of one of my cattes with one of my best bottles of whisky.

The "whiskey vs. whisky" debate is over. It's all wisukii now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The only Scotch cocktail that comes to mind is the Blood and Sand, and a lot of people hate it. (I say it's good with a small amount of fresh squeezed blood orange juice.)

Laphroiag is one of those things I'd only use a spoonful of. It's like absinthe or chartreuse.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

My impression: This is just an inferior Rittenhouse. Rougher, younger tasting, maaaaybe a bit more of that herbaceous rye element, but overall a letdown.
I picked it up for the novelty and I agree. Plus, it's $25 here which is crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003