Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

Suntory added one at Chita last year too. Given it's four times the size of the one they have at Hakushu, and they added a grinder and cooker, my guess is they want to start making a lot of Bourbon-ish Japanese whisky. The Hakushu rye was awesome when it came out.

That’s interesting. Where’d you learn about it? (I ask because I would like to be up to date on this kind of info on the off chance there’s something to read/follow, but I figure a lot of this level of info comes from being an industry guy who knows guys.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

For this kind of info, there's a Japanese Whisky Yearbook beginning in 2023. As you might expect from the name, it's sort of a Japan-focused version of the Malt Whisky Yearbook. Officially, there's no relation though.

The Japanese version is already out and the English version should come out within the next couple months. (disclaimer: I translated it)

For online resources. If you've googled Japanese whisky news in the past you've probably seen my site already. There's also the Japanese Whisky Information Center, unfortunately only available in Japanese, but it's a great centralized resource. And run by the same company that wrote the Yearbook, so the info is very reliable.

Thanks, this is useful (even though my Japanese is not even close to up to par)!

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Black is a good all rounder. Glenmorangie is very light so I wouldn’t recommend it given your other comments.

In that range I really like Bunnhahabhain. It’s an Islay but much milder than Laga.

Highland Park, Oban, Balvenie are all good and frequently recommended.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yeah fair enough. I think I see HP and especially Balvenie in that range but it’s been a while since I bought either. Oban was probably wishful thinking though.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
It’s gonna be hard for anyone to beat WT101 for best value, imo. Four Roses small batch is often up there, but it is nearly twice the price, at least for me.

Best overall, there are too many options.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I don’t live there, but it doesn’t look like you can accomplish the twin goals of shipping liquor in NC and not breaking the law at the same time. You’ve gotta choose which one you care more about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

bloody ghost titty posted:

& I walked back some choice invectives related to bud light and lifted trucks because I thought better of assuming a SA poster of 20 years was gonna up and show their rear end about single malts.

Man, also I love me some umbrella drinks. Reminds me I gotta write a quick how-to on that before boating season really kicks up. Problem is whiskey wasn't a big player in that milieu; outside of a monkey gland, I really can't think of much.

it doesn't typically get an umbrella, but you could certainly add one to the classic Caribbean combo of Scotch + coconut water, rocks. i was really surprised how good it was when i tried it a summer or two ago. use really great coconut water (Harmless Harvest is the best I found) and not-so-great smoky blended Scotch for the best effect.