Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Cool, the Whisk(e)y thread is back. I've almost finished the Laphroaig 10 I posted about getting as my first scotch in the last thread and I was thinking of trying something else but didn't know where to start. Any suggestions for someone who likes Laphroaig and has absolutely no other discovered preferences (aside from not super spendy)? I was at the store yesterday looking around but didn't want to drop $40 blindly so I just grabbed a cheap bottle of Bulleit bourbon to tide me over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

obi_ant posted:

First time whiskey drinker and I just picked up a bottle of Bulleit Bourbon. How would I go by drinking this if I don't have one of those special whiskey glasses or stones? Would a straight side glass be fine?

Just a glass is fine. I'm drinking some Bulleit right now!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Ellipson posted:

So I graduated from whiskey and coke to just bourbon. I actually read the old thread and picked up a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel and have been drinking just that; it's excellent, but to be completely honest I couldn't tell you exactly why I like it better than Maker's/Jim Bean; it just had a better flavor but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Based on that, if I wanted to branch out more... any suggestions? Booker's and Woodford came up earlier in the thread when you guys were talking about it, might try those. I'm in Cincinnati so I would imagine I would have access to just about anything here, Kentucky is 5-10 minutes away. I apologize if this is way too vague for there to be a real answer.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed, should be around the same price as the Four Roses Single.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

But then shouldn't I just buy the 80 proof version for 2/3 of the price :colbert:. Just kidding of course :).

Fiery is a good way to describe the kentucky spirit Kenning. I checked my bottle and it says that it was bottled at 100.5 proof or something. Isn't the rare breed like 104 or 105 proof?

Anyways, there is definitely a big difference between this WTKS and something like Four Roses Single Barrel. That's good though, I don't want all my whiskies tasting the same.

I think Rare Breed is 103.8 or something oddly specific like that. One of my favorites though.