Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

good luck kitten
Aug 18, 2004

Tripping the light fantastic
Just picked up a bottle of Balvenie 17 Rum Cask before I went out of town last weekend and tried it last night. Have to say that I love the sweetness imparted from the rum casks; being an avid rum drinker I have to say that I find it delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good luck kitten
Aug 18, 2004

A Winner is Jew posted:

Sup Balvenie Rum Cask buddy. :hfive:

I have to agree with you that it's a really, really smooth scotch although pretty sure the Caribbean cask is only a 14yr and not a 17yr. (Still delicious)

They've released both 14 year and 17 year bottles. Haven't personally tried the 14.

good luck kitten
Aug 18, 2004

kidsafe posted:

I expect the 17yr to be significantly more candied and almost saccharine sweet since it's derived from 15yr single barrels that didn't make the cut.

Yeah, like I said I have not tried the 14. But the 17yr is very sweet as you described. I personally enjoy it since I'm a big rum drinker/sipper and a lot of the sweetness found in some of those rums has been imparted on it.

good luck kitten
Aug 18, 2004

I tried a glass of Ardbeg's Alligator last night and it was very interesting. It had sweeter notes than most Ardbegs, while still having some of the peatiness. While I thought it was decent, I probably won't be going out of my way to have it again unless I come across a bottle for cheap (which is very doubtful).

good luck kitten
Aug 18, 2004

Tried a glass of a 13 year old rye whiskey that was distilled in Baltimore, MD back in 1913. Never mind the fact that I was having this at 9:30AM (one does not say no when offered regardless of the time). It was incredibly sweet with some fruity aromas and an overall well rounded finish I thought. The guy that let me try it is so generous it's ridiculous; I was in his house to pick up some free rocks, martini, and snifter glasses that he had just lying around.

Here's a picture of the bottle:

good luck kitten
Aug 18, 2004

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I don't know if anyone else did, but I just finished watching "Shakleton's Whisky"on Nat. Geographic. Apparently, a scotsman and antarctic explorer named Ernest Shakleton made some whisky and abandoned it on Antarctica in 1909. It was recently discovered, well over 100 years since being distilled.

Now, Mackinlays is making a blend that is supposed to near replicate the flavor. Anyone else heard about this/ had a chance to try the new whisky?

I read an article on this a while back in the New York Times, am going to look for the show now at some point. Very curious as to what it'll be like.

good luck kitten
Aug 18, 2004

So I tried the Port Charlotte 6 year old last night, and oh man, was it delicious. It was very peaty, but at the same time had lots of nice sweet/fruity undertones to help balance it out. Easily the best scotch under 10 years that I've ever had, and it's really up there for one of the best I've had period.

good luck kitten
Aug 18, 2004

Bought my dad a bottle of the Glenfiddich 19 year old Age of Discovery as a present from the Heathrow duty free, can't wait to try it with him when I get down there for the holidays.

good luck kitten
Aug 18, 2004

kidsafe posted:

I don't know though...I think I'd choose the Glenlivet pack based on bang for the buck. $100 for three bottles vs. $115 for two. Glenlivet 18yr is no slouch and the 15yr French Oak is an interesting diversion (much like HP 15yr, too bad it isn't included in the gift pack.)

Yeah, I mean it doesn't seem like $115 is any sort of special deal for the HP 12 & 18. Still though, I love love love HP 18, so I think any time someone buys a bottle of that is a good call.

good luck kitten
Aug 18, 2004

I had lots of Maker's with ginger ale and do not remember most of the night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good luck kitten
Aug 18, 2004

Citizen Insane posted:

The A'bunadh is a personal favourite of mine, very very peppery with a sweet, honeylike finish. Tried a shot of the Lagavulin 16 and it was okay, but I didn't like the tail end of it at all. YMMV, of course. I'm a fellow Laphroaig fan, for the record.

A'bunadh is pretty good, but it really varies by batch. I've had some fantastic bottles of it, while also having some that were pretty bad :(.