Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

mojo1701a posted:

I'm still relatively new to bourbons, so I thought I'd ask. I saw a bottle of Maker's Mark 46 at the LCBO, and it was $10 more than the regular Maker's Mark. Is it worth the extra $10, or should I stick with regular Maker's or Bulleit? The LCBO has a limited selection, but the only one I haven't tried yet is Woodford Reserve (the LCBO has a sparse bourbon selection).

While it's a little more interesting than normal Maker's, you'd probably be better off with a more interesting and cheaper bourbon of some sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

Ellipson posted:

So I graduated from whiskey and coke to just bourbon. I actually read the old thread and picked up a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel and have been drinking just that; it's excellent, but to be completely honest I couldn't tell you exactly why I like it better than Maker's/Jim Bean; it just had a better flavor but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Based on that, if I wanted to branch out more... any suggestions? Booker's and Woodford came up earlier in the thread when you guys were talking about it, might try those. I'm in Cincinnati so I would imagine I would have access to just about anything here, Kentucky is 5-10 minutes away. I apologize if this is way too vague for there to be a real answer.

I'm a big fan of Buffalo Trace myself, Knob Creek is also good, and both will have better flavor than Maker's/Jim Beam. You might also want to try a rye whiskey of some sort, I had a bottle of Sazerac a while ago, and it was pretty nice.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

madkapitolist posted:

Helped out a buddy reach a sales goal and he wants to buy me a bottle of something. Suggestions for a $100 ball park price range?

For scotch I'd recommend Oban 14, which is about $60-$100 depending on where you live and how horrific your local/state taxes are. It's one of my favorites.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

Karl Hungus posted:

I just bought a 750ml of Crown Royal Maple just because I was curious if it was bad, really bad, or Disgusting. I rate it worse than disgusting. It is like trying to drink maple syrup. It is foul. Avoid at all costs unless you like sipping maple syrup to get drunk.

Sounds like something I should get for the Canadians at my office as a joke for the company Christmas party. :D (Except it's probably more expensive than I'd want to spend on something that gross)

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

silvergoose posted:

I tried the Knappogue Castle 12 year Irish whiskey last night; it was good, but very, very mellow. Like, there was barely a hint of burn. Is that others' reactions too? It was just so very different from the bourbon (Evan Williams) and scotch (Balvenie) that I have had.

I've been working through a bottle of this as well, and I have a similar reaction. It's a nice whiskey, but it's so mellow it's almost boring.