Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
I started on Glenlivet 12, was like $22 bucks a bottle from Costco so I figured that was a good entry point.

3 bottles down after 6-7 months, I like this stuff. Just went today for a refill and decided to try something different instead. Was looking at some other brands of 12 year in the same price range, but then saw they had a Lagavulin 16 Year on coupon from $64.99 down to $51.99. So even though its twice as much its on coupon, so I have to buy it right?

Appears looking around that its $75 at Bevmo, so it looks like a pretty good deal. About to pop it open. Have I now passed the point of no return where I'm gonna be spending this much every time?

Edit:

Costco also had this cool little looking age your own whiskey kit for $99 bucks

http://www.woodinvillewhiskeyco.com/products/age-your-own-whiskey-kit/

It comes with a little barrel, some glasses, and a couple bottles of un-aged whiskey. Not sure if its any good for anything besides what they give you or making your own or whatever but seems like a pretty cool little project. I didn't buy it because I didn't want my wife to kill me but I might take a look at it if they still have it later.

zonacat fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
Had 2 gift pack choices at Costco.

Went to pick up the Glenlivet 12, 15, 18 variety pack for $99.99.

Next to it was a Highland Park 12, 18 2 bottle variety pack for $115.

Went with the Highland Park because I've had a few bottles of the Glenlivet 12 already and wanted to try something new, and I keep reading good Highland Park things in here.

Did I do the right thing?

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
Yeah I looked it up when I got home and I don't know that I got the best $ deal by buying the Highland Park but I tried the 12 year and loved it. I'm sure the 18 will be awesome. Maybe if the Glenlivet thing wasn't some kind of Christmas special it can be next month's purchase.

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005

beefnchedda posted:

For those in the Bay Area, Costco has Lagavulin 16 for 51 dollars right now, if I remember correctly. Found at both stores in South San Francisco.

Thanks much for the heads up. Was able to grab this at the Santa Clara Costco today. Was on an endcap and I almost missed it, definitely wouldn't have seen it if I wasn't looking.

Got this last year at Costco in Septemberish for the same price and its my absolute favorite of the half dozen or so scotches I've tried.

The only problem is my wife came home about an hour after me and said I smell like I've been smoking. MMM campfire scotch.

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
The Costco by me has a bottle of 60 year old Macallan 4th edition in some kind of specially designed crystal decanter.

750 ML, $16,999.99

It's under about 4 inches of plexiglass.

Who buys this poo poo at costco?

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
So what's the consensus on how low quality you can go with a bourbon for a mixed drink and still make a drink that tastes good? Does it matter at all?

My only previous experience with bourbon in mixed drinks was Jack and Coke in college, which was what everyone else drank and was easy to order. Now that I've actually gotten into drinking straight scotch and bourbon I still want a mixed drink every once in a while but don't want to use my expensive stuff.

Should I stick with something middle tier like Maker's? Or should I just be grabbing 1.75s of Evan Williams off the bottom shelf for 18 bucks? In bars should I just be ordering well poo poo for maximum value to taste?

The drink I've taken a liking to is a gold rush if it matters at all, probably not since its like every other mixed drink you can make (booze + sugar).

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005
So I figured I would report back. A gold rush with Rebel Yell tastes exactly the same to my pallet as the ones I made last weekend with Bulleit.

I tried Rebel Yell because it was on sale for $10 bucks a 750 and I figured I would try some other suggestions from here next time. Plus it sounded cool

Hooray for saving money on mixed drinks so I can buy more Lagavulin 16 at Costco before it disappears again.

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005

NightConqueror posted:

What the gently caress? Your Costco stocks Lagavulin 16? For how much?

It was 51.99, and they stocked it for about 4-5 months last year and got it in again this year. I went yesterday and its up to 64.99, and they are just about out of stock, at least on the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonacat
Jan 13, 2005

justasmile posted:

Has anyone had the new Belvanie 12 Yr or the Caribbean Cask? One of my coworkers recommended the Caribbean Cask, but it sounds like it would end up being pretty sweet.

I got the Carribean Cask at Costco a couple years ago. I didn't like it, I couldn't put my finger on why. Maybe a little sweet. I drank it all so it wasn't terrible. It just wasn't my favorite.

For reference I currently drink and like Lagavulin 16 and Laphroaig 10 Quarter cask and cask strength and have also had and liked Highland park 10, 12, 18, glenfarclas 10, and i cant remember what else. The carribean cask was like none of these