Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Nope, but I did get a paper bag for free. I'll open it in an alley tonight.

:chanpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

wormil posted:

114 proof is going to hit a novice pretty hard.
Evan Williams 1783.

There yah go.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Invisible Ted posted:

Famous Grouse but wanted to know the 's opinion on it.

Good stuff drink now. Yum. Share.

Edit: 3/4 through a bottle as well

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
WL Weller is good. I like it.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

wormil posted:

Grabbed a bottle of 4R Single Barrel, first I've had in years because our local stores didn't carry it, so balanced and delicious. Absolutely a beautiful bourbon.

This is what I buy for Dad every Easter because he always gives up bourbon/scotch for Lent.

We're Presbyterian, our preacher just really likes liturgy :airquote:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Don't feel bad about hating Jim Beam and Jack Daniels either. They both give whiskey a bad name.

No poo poo. Makes me a bit upset that as a proud redneck from Tennessee I don't like JD. I can drown it in Coke/Dr. Pepper and get drunk, but I just cannot stand the stuff. What the hell was a man as rich, famous, and beloved by all as Frank Sinatra thinking?

On the other hand I went to the cigar store with my Dad and several folks on Saturdays bring a bottle (byob sort of place). I had some Weller's, some Buffalo Trace, some JW Black (mixed with Coke), some reg Four Roses, and to top it all off I drunkenly wandered across the busiest street in Memphis to buy a bottle of Laphroig QC which myself and a really good friend finished off over a game of Go (which I lost to the inscrutable oriental whiles of my favorite Indian chef :cheers:).

Glad I wasn't driving...

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Stultus Maximus posted:

Seriously. I'd take Old Crow over Jack any day. It's one of the few whiskies I honestly do not like.

Just the sound of JD Honey makes me want to vomit.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Residency Evil posted:

Had a pour of Pappy's 20 to celebrate a special occasion tonight. I've never tasted anything with such a smooth finish, with the bonus of it tasting like delicious chocolate. A+, would drink again.

Try Welller's. Same taste, not quite as smooth in the finish. Nothing beats the real thing, though.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

You shouldn't be mad, you should have two bottles of Laphroaig.

:boom:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuucccccck

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Rythe posted:

My wife expressed interest in trying whiskey since she sees how much I enjoy a great old fashioned but the problem is she is a fan of overly sweet and fruity drinks and I have no idea how to not ruin a whiskey but find a drink she would like.

Anybody have a suggestion on what to try? I was thinking of making a simple syrup with macerated cherries and try to make a variation on the old fashioned.

Get her a bottle of Laphroig and tell her not to be such a pussy.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Nth Doctor posted:

Or Yellow Spot.
Cooper's Croze if they're into wood.

I read that as "Cooper's Cooze and got the vapors...

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Quiet Feet posted:

Which I'm sure all sounds pretty pathetic but, like I said, I'm constrained by lack of booze money.

Nothing wrong with being a poor boozeman. Just listen in and take the advice of the alkies in this thread (including me). Most of us started when we were students or entry-level workers wanting to try some adult-style entertainment. I got into good booze and cigars in college, and while my mates were drowning in Natty Light, I was sipping Glenlivet with doctors and circuit judges (which was not only badass because I couldn't afford good Scotch, but the police chief would bring confiscated Cuban cigars, too).

I'm not trying to brag, just trying to get you the big picture of starting in looking for decent drams for not a lot of money. Discuss everything with the guys on SA because there is a LOT of good info on this dead gay forum more and more peopled by olds who have been posting about alcohol on a budget for almost twenty years.

My personal favorites for not a lot of money range through several price points depending on how my wallet is feeling are Four Roses for bourbon 🥃 (one ice cube) and Dewar's white label for Scotch. Neither is more than $20 unless you buy it by the gallon ☠️, and neither is too poor quality to mix in a cocktail. I don't like DWL straight, though. I mix it with Drambuie for a surprisingly good Rusty Nail. Drambuie is more expensive than the whisky, but I like single-malts straight and the sweet liqueur can be a twice-a-year buy as a reward for saving your pennies.

TL; DR: goons love to help with recommendations for booze and smokes.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

biglads posted:

Not quite yet please. I've been out of work since June and I'm surviving by auctioning off various bottles. A Karuizawa that cost me £150 went for nearly £1000 a few weeks ago.

Good luck in the job search! I'm sure we're all rooting for you, but I admire your whiskey savvy. I bought a bottle of JW Blue from a friend who is out of work for $150 last week so he could take some money without feeling like charity. Then I made him sit on his couch w/me and drink the whole bottle. It was decent whiskey (that wasn't even worth the price I paid 😎) but he was stressed because he has a baby on the way in about 5 months and his wife brought me a cherry pie not for the money (she didn't know) but for comforting her husband. Win all around!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Quiet Feet posted:

I jokingly suggested to my wife that I could use the money we save doing that to buy booze.

She agreed. :stare:

:sever: so I can find her out without you 🤤.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

wormil posted:

Well if everyone liked the same thing there would only be one thing. Okay, that's probably not true but you get my point. I don't like Beam and I'm not big on BT either but I love bourbon. And even though bourbons taste more like each other than other whiskies, they are each unique to me. Tastes change too. I used to drink a lot of 1792 but haven't had a bottle in years. Jameson I go back and forth between loving it and wanting to spit it out (not a bourbon just an example). Also Eagle Rare, used to love that stuff but now I find it lacking. Lot of people love Bulleit and BT, I don't. Just drink what you like, how you like, and if you find yourself skipping around a lot that's okay too.

Don't let anybody give you poo poo about what you like.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

So whay do you think Barb was drinking when she died

Regular Jim Beam. She died so she didn't have to drink any more.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Vox Nihili posted:

Still beats Jack.

Jack is not bourbon 🥃.

And yes, JD is even worse.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

KozmoNaut posted:

It meets all the requirements to be a straight bourbon, so it is in fact a bourbon. They just call it Tennessee Whiskey to be *~special~*.

I know. As a person who lived in all three divisions of TN in 43 years, I stand by what I said.

The folks in Lynchburg get mad if you call it "bourbon ."

:banjo:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Vox Nihili posted:

It's supposed to be $10.

And in a mixed drink 🍹.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Weltlich posted:

It's also why I've stopped giving people "good stuff" without pouring them something lower end first to see how they respond.

I give cigars to my friends all the time ‘cause most want one when we are celebrating or playing cards. My really good friends get Padron 1964s and even a Padron 1926 if we’re in a small-group-smoke. Drinks are usually Scotch or Bourbons, but we are trying Mellow Corn next week in the mountains of Eastern Tennessee.

Non-smokers/drinkers get reasonable replacements like Rocky Patels and Glenlivet 12. I saw some folks drinking tequila shooters so when I got done sipping I progressed to shots of tequila and hid the bourbon. I don’t pour bourbon shots, but I’m always willing to teach young 25-35 girls and boys decorum and good taste and sometimes even good drinks & smokes manners.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Enigma posted:

On another note, my son started a new preschool and decided to bring me home whatever weaponized cold he discovered there. I’ve since learned the magic of hot toddies with WT101 for alleviating cold symptoms.

Toddler fodder for weapons testing of bio-weapons is old hat. My son had every disease but HIV and my wife and I spent days recovering from whatever he brought home. He was like a beardless dwarf or something. He had chicken pox that didn’t even itch any at all!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Radio Nowhere posted:

But a TW worker told me they were the best, and science can speed age a whiskey to taste exactly like the big guys!

Just like artificially aging tobacco leaves to maduro! I guess we’ll just rub it in some pig poo poo and microwave it. Dumb-rear end smokers will never find out!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Weltlich posted:

Has anyone here seen a bottle of High West's Valley Tan in the wild? I'm puttering around with oat mashes at the moment and there's a couple of Oat whiskies on the market - but I've been largely unimpressed with them (Koval, etc). I'm trying to figure out if this is the oats' fault, or the distilleries' faults.

Cheerios whiskey sounds awesome. Mix your coffee with Bailey’s and you can get to’ up from de flo’ up before 8 AM.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Whalley posted:

Get a bottle of Drambuie and mix it 50/50 with the scotch of your choice in a glass for the ultimate dessert whiskey drink. It's the only sweet scotch cocktail worth a drat imo.

Or go full alcoholic and just drink the bottle of Drambuie!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Enigma posted:

Or I guess sell them both and buy a literal barrel of Wild Turkey. Which, when empty, would make a rad bathtub.

Empty barrel? Just shove myself into the full barrel and put the top back on...

E: call it an antiseptic bath or something so people aren’t constantly opening the lid to “help” me. Bitch I’m filter feeding at this point!

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 17, 2019

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

silvergoose posted:

Okay I'm trying to figure it out and I cannot. What the gently caress is LL/G?

Ladies Love Slash Gjames

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Congrats on the raise! Drink up (not at work, though 😜).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Oakland Martini posted:

Just found out I got tenure today

Congratulations on your tenure! A milestone in the career of any educator is the perfect excuse to celebrate with a good dram of Scotch. Where do teach in Ontario (and if you say Sunny Vale pre-school I’ll probably lmfao)? In all seriousness though; goons making it in the “real world” always makes me happy.

quote:

- Bruichladdich Octomore 10.1

Say no more.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Pa says I can shoot the revenuers

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I like booze.

When I drink gin, however, I just want to lie homeless in the gutter.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I cannot believe someone so respected in a small niche group acknowledged as the best bourbon taster never had Scotch before. Has he never been to a bar before? Never gotten a gift from a best friend? I have a really difficult time thinking he was born in his 30s liking bourbon and never trying it’s ancestors. My absolute favorite drink is Scotch, but if a nice lady wants me to try a Lemon Drop or do shots of Tequila, it’s all great. Having experience in a super wide variety of alcohol all around the world (including prison wine made in a toilet), even if I started with bourbon first I would have tried Scotch in my teens just because Wild Turkey is cheaper than Johnny Walker Black!

I really feel bad for a person I don’t even know. Think I’ll fix a Scotch & Soda as a nite cap and commiserate with my Dad.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4hOxBSG4fW7tYbNuLq-R8kU8Kx9z8Bva

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Casu Marzu posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of it either, but it did quite well in ice cream and baked goods in place of vanilla. I'm pretty sure I used the majority of my bottle was for bourbon ice cream and chocolate chip cookies.

Dammit all, I loved the stuff. I smoke cigars socially, and have had about half my ghetto-dor full of Cuban products for the last decade. I didn’t think the whiskey was too strong, but it was sublime with a Cuban cigar! Cubans always taste floral and dry hay/grassy to me, and even when I’m home smoking a cherry tobacco in my pipe it’s good enough to brag about. I could definitely see it being horrible in a mixed drink, though, and to be honest if just sipping before bed there are better choices.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Josh Lyman posted:

Bought a bottle of Old Grand Dad BiB since it was $19. This is the “worst” whiskey I’ve ever bought—the closest would be Bulleit Rye or Rittenhouse.

I’ve never had Rittenhouse, but I want to try it. My 97 y/o Granny was a Rittenhouse before she was a Smartymans, and wants nothing to do with that family after she was kicked out because she she was an adult (at 14!) during the Depression and was another mouth to feed. She has Dementia and can’t tell she’s watched the same episode of Wheel of Fortune 4 times in a row (she marvels that I can solve the puzzles with 0 visible letters :agesilaus: ), but she hates everything about the Rittenhouse family!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
The first thing I would spend a bit o’ bonus at a bar tasting different bourbons or Scotch and asking the bartender for a wide selection/advice. I would hate to make a brand new whiskey drinker be turned off by a dram of Johnny Walker Red (absolute poison do not try) or Laphroig Quarter Cask (my favorite but a smoke bomb). I’ve been drinking bourbon since I was 14 (shouldn’t have, I know, but it is what it is) and have really missed my local bar for being able to try new stuff without spending money on a whole bottle of hype!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
No you are correct. It really makes a difference where you are. The bartender at the Skybox in Collierville, TN I go to usually sends me a dram of bourbon with my breakfast burger especially if it’s something new or really different in some fashion. I’ve been going to the same place for Friday lunch for like seven years now, and probably spent more on fries than he loses giving me a shot of a new rye or high-proof bourbon. He scraped through the quarantine and will open April 15th for dining in, but most lunches I still buy takeout and since it’s a family run business I do feel good supporting him and while he had to cut hours for some of the folks nobody got laid off and everyone comes back April 1st. He doesn’t have much Scotch but his bourbon selection is unmatched unless you go to the Peabody or something.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Casu Marzu posted:

It wasn't so bad wandering through a liquor store every few weeks on a whim before, but now with covid it feels not right stopping in just on the chance there's a bottle I want.

Whiskey is sterile. Fight COVID-19 at the liquor store by keeping your throat clean with Whiskey.

Bonus: Drink Whiskey and not even care about COVID infection!:agesilaus:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Klungar posted:

Bonus bonus: Drink Whiskey and use hand sanitizer the distillery produced during early COVID that they still have pallets of laying around!

:chanpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

spankmeister posted:

Other american whiskey styles like light whiskey or corn whiskey can be aged in reused oak barrels and they can be very good. But I'd bet the vast majority gets shipped over to Scotland, where they all get used to great effect for scotch whisky.

Don’t forget Japan. They may be “new(ish)” at the table, but aped the historical material and copied the recipes down to the mL for Scotch for a few decades before hitting their stride and coming up with original ideas and procedures of their own. I tagged along to a parents’ friends’ house just last night and his Japanese wife made and served warm Sake to the men’s table on the porch, and once we fellas drank it all (42°C in a copper pot!) he broke out a bottle of a good Japanese whiskey, and it was completely different-tasting than any I’d ever had. I forgot to find out the brand because I was drunk from the Sake. It was very floral and tasted a bit like all the good parts of a habano-wrapped cigar. I am calling him tomorrow to learn names and I do remember his wife telling me you can heat Sake in the microwave if you want, but that’s not as enjoyable as making a little ritual show from her traditional ancestors for a group of really good friends. She did also remind me that most of the men I physically meet with are all retired, some who fought against the Japanese army in WWII. Enough alcohol brings everyone to the table!