Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I’m fairly new to bourbon, and I hear a ton about wild turkey rare breed. What makes it special outside of it’s availability and is it accessible for a newer drinker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Deceptive Thinker posted:

there's a lot to say about it - it's a fantastic whiskey
it does incredibly well in blind tastings against other whiskeys that are well above its price point

probably not super accessible to a newbie but once you've tried a bunch of bourbon it's a good stepping stone into barrel proofers

I have a ecbp b521 that I really enjoy but the other barrels I’ve tried can be tough straight. If I do t see a reasonably priced heaven hill next time I’m out I’ll check it out!

Vox Nihili posted:

It's worth trying, but it's not particularly accessible due to the higher heat inherent in cask strength bourbon. If you already like Wild Turkey 101 it's definitely worth a try. You do pay a substantial premium for the higher proof, though, even with relatively affordable options like Rare Breed

The heat is definitely the hardest part of a bp so far just because I can’t sense the other tastes if it’s too high. A little water helps at least.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 12, 2022

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I had the wild turkey rare breed and while at the end it left a strong burn in my throat it was really enjoyable. Next time I’ll add just a smidge of water to enjoy it a bit more.

Is the rare breed rye also as good?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Rare breed rye was so god drat good I’m officially converted. The availability of both makes it taste better also. I recently had a e.h bib rye and while I preferred it it wasn’t much better and I don’t have to sell a toe for it. I’m slowly turning into liking that 30-50% rye range like with the rare breed and monarch.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Hey thanks for the overall wild turkey recommendations by the way. I now have a rye 101, both rare breeds and a Russell’s reserve single barrel store pick which all have been great at their own price points with the Russell’s being very special.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I snagged a 4 roses single barrel and while the flavors were up my alley it tasted really thin. Is the only 4 roses option with that high rye mash bill for more of a punch of flavor to get a barrel strength one?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah I prefer Small Batch Select to regular Small Batch or Single Barrel, but for $45 I think Rare Breed is the better choice. It’s worth trying though.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Small batch select is higher proof (104) and a blend of the two mash bills (which are both high rye) and might be what you're looking for. Otherwise yes, the barrel strength and limited editions are the only other options

I'll probably play it safe from now on with redwood empire monarch to scratch that itch or with a baby saz if i ever find them.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

That russels 13 year would be my top priority

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

The OBSF store pick is so much better than the ECBP store pick

Whad up fellow atl bourboner. Which greens had the 4roses?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

That's funny. I wonder if it's as lovely as Jefferson's Ocean.

Somehow it isn’t

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I’d love to have a gently caress off bottle of bt, saz and eagle rare

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Lost monarch rules too and in general all of redwood empire does. They make solid 3 year plus old blends with 12 year whiskeys included . Good value for 35 to 40 bucks even if it’s mgp

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I’m obsessed with the new bottle in bond jack rye. My all time favorite “budget” rye.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Lowness 72 posted:

Is it super sweet like regular jack?

As a rye I’d say sweeter than the more peppery ones like mgp, maybe a little more sweet than saz but nowhere near as sweet as old Forrester 100. Makes ahelluva old fashion too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

LionArcher posted:

Got a bottle of EH Taylor small batch and Weller special reserve today for retail. A good day.

I saw a bottle of Weller special for $140. A bad day