Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
Just picked up a 16yo Bordeaux cask finished Bowmore since I understand it's of limited availability and I would probably never find it again. It was sort of an impulse buy so I hope I don't encounter the dreaded FWP (french whore perfume) smell associated with certain Bowmore releases!

Also, the same store I was in featured a 12yo single malt Scotch whisky from "Distillerie du Perigord" who produce eau de vie of various local fruits and little else, yet they seem to be sitting on whisky stock of indeterminate origin and bottling it under their label. Is this some sort of small-scale independent bottling situation? Like they bought some whisky to bottle and sell under the stipulation that the Scotch distillery not be named like alot of other budget IB's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Killer robot posted:

Any particular recommendations for rye whiskey? I've had Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, and Old Overholt, but the larger liquor stores around here are getting a wider variety these days and I'm not sure what to try out. Especially since so much tends to be in the premium price range.

Wild Turkey makes this stuff and it's drat delicious. Price wise it sort of sits above the ones already mentioned and below the crazy boutique ones like Whistlepig and Rendezvous ($30-35 where I live) but yeah Overholt is like half that price and is my preferred "everyday" rye.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

crazyfish posted:

I'm getting a promotion/bonus/raise at work, and I want to buy a really special bourbon. I had a glass of the Pappy Van Winkle 20 year a couple weeks ago and it was shockingly good. I would happily go out and buy a bottle of it, but it apparently flies off the shelves here in Chicago. Short of one of the Van Winkles, does anyone have suggestions for a really great, preferably long-aged bourbon? The 20 year runs around $150, let's consider that a firm price point (though I'm always willing to spend less to get a better product :) )
Look into your area's availability of the Parker's heritage line, the antique bourbons collection or an older Hirsch.

http://www.greatbourbon.com/antiquecollection.aspx

http://www.hirschbourbon.com/

http://sourmashmanifesto.com/2011/10/30/review-parkers-heritage-collection-cognac-finished/

The cognac finish is the most current bottling of the Parker's collection but if you find a bottle of the 27 year or the golden anniversary snap it up because they are exceedingly rare.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Aglet56 posted:

What's a good absinthe/herbsaint/whatever liquor for a Sazerac? The best Sazerac I ever had was made with herbsaint, but does absinthe or whatever work better? Are there any specific brands I should be looking out for?
Try to find this, I was able to try it last week, it's delicious and I normally don't like anisettes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Mr. Glass posted:

Laphroaig 18 is easily my favorite scotch (even over Laphroaig 25, which is a bit mouth-coatingly heavy for my taste), and in PA it's an absolute steal at $65. Say what you will about our prohibition-era liquor laws, the stuff we *can* get is really well-priced.
Jesus Christ that's a good price for that, it's like three times that where I am. I had the opportunity to meet their master distiller John Campbell at a tasting event a couple of weeks ago. He was a cool guy but Beam Global had been carting him from event to event all day long and he looked as if he would rather have been napping in a hotel room.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

mango sentinel posted:

So I've had a longstanding desire to drink a scotch older than myself. Obviously this gets to be more difficult as time goes on. I turn 29 this year so I'm looking at 30r stuff but its scary to make that kind of investment blind so I'm tying to learn what's worthwhile since I'm very wary of snakeoil in liquor sales. I don't want to spend more than $300 if I can help it. Can I even play at that price range and get something worth the money? I'm in the US, in Atlanta if that helps pricing/availability.
Get something from one of the independent bottlers, they are often the only source of very old whisky that actually approaches affordable. Lombard, Gordon & Macphail, Douglas Laing, and Murray Mcdavid are just some of the bottlers I've dealt with to a great degree of satisfaction. Last week I had a Douglas Laing 27yo Port Ellen that was so good I ripped off all my clothes and went out into the parking lot and started punching out car windows.

edit: here's a cool list of ibs on malt madness:http://www.maltmadness.com/whisky/bottlers.html

Haverchuck fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 17, 2012

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

NightConqueror posted:

So with all the peaty stuff I currently own, I thought it might be fun to branch out a bit. Can anyone suggest a good, sherry-influenced scotch? I've tried the Glenmorangie Lasanta which I thought was just so-so.

I like Glenfarclas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Above Our Own posted:

I'm just getting into whiskeys and so far I've enjoyed Jim Beam black label and Wild Turkey 101, but I got a bottle of Jameson on a recommendation and I can't stomach it. I feel like I'm missing something because it tastes like garbage.
This is interesting because until recently Wild Turkey and Jameson were both owned by Pernod Ricard so I wouldn't be surprised if your Jameson was actually (partially) aged in old Wild Turkey barrels!