Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Hey guys I want to buy a Bourbon for drinking and making Old-Fashioned style stuff.

I usually drink Islay scotch and I once ordered Wild Turkey Rare Breed and it was kinda underwhelming compared to a scotch.
I don't necessarily like harsh, but it needs to have character beyond tasting like the stuff you get in a club.

Options:
Blanton's Special Reserve 0,7 L 25€

Bulleit Bourbon 0,7 L 20€

Buffalo Trace 0,7 L 26€

Four Roses Bourbon 1,0 L 20€

Jack Daniel's Gentleman Jack 0,7 L 20€

Jim Beam Rye 0,7 L 16€

Jim Beam Black 0,7 L 15€

Jim Beam Red Stag 0,7 L 16€

Jim Beam Devils Cut 0,7 L 18€

Maker's Mark Bourbon 0,7 L 20€

Wild Turkey 101 Proof 0,7 L 23€

Seagrams 7 Crown 0,7 L 20€

I could potentially get others as well but this is pretty much the pricerange.

Most likely using this shop, it's moon language though
http://www.whisky.de/shop/index.php?cat=c528_Bourbon.html
http://www.whisky.de/shop/index.php?cat=c529_Tennessee.html
http://www.whisky.de/shop/index.php?cat=c530_Rye-Corn.html

up to around 25€

What do you think?

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Sazerac goes more for around 50, Rittenhouse nothing under 150 :<

The Ryes I see right now are

- Pikesville Surpreme Straight Rye Whisky
- Old Overhold Rye
- Jim Beam Rye
- McGuinness Old Canada Whisky
- SEAGRAM FIVE STAR Rye Kanada
- Mellow Corn 100 Proof

So not much there.
Maybe my Wild Turkey RB tasting was kinda flawed since I compared it to Caol Ila mostly, which was a lot more intense. Another whisky I love is Bowmore (Mariner 15yo especially though I wouldn't drink it every day). Bourbon seems to be more mellow and subtle? Or maybe I just don't like Bourbon... On the other hand now I read the good rating the Wild Turkey gets so I feel like I missed something and even want to order it again..

I guess it's either one of those Ryes or the best Bourbon that tastes like a characteristic Bourbon so I can find out.

edit: Jim Beam Rye is very cheap. I might just order it anyway. Is it okay to get to know Rye or is is poo poo?

edit: found another store with a bit different selection, have a look

http://www.getraenkewelt-weiser.de/category.php/Whisky/USA?manu=&dist=&hits=15&view=1&sort=_pr&order=1

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 19, 2011

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Ok then so, please recommend the following:

One bourbon, that I could drink on ice at least, that has the characteristics you personally like about bourbon as opposed to scotch. In this price range, your "bourbony" bourbon.
Options include
- Makers Mark
- Wild Turkey 8 year
- Four Roses Straight Bourbon or Four Roses Small Batch
- Old Grand Dad Straight Bourbon
- Jim Beam Green
- Bulleit Frontier
- Jim Beam 6 years or Jim Beam Devils Share
- Jack Daniels
- Pikesville Supreme
- Buffallo Trace
- Gentlemen Jack
- Blanton's Special Reserve
- Elijah Craig 12 Jahre Straight Bourbon

or anything else on listed sites with the price range.

I realise this is subjective but I hope for several opinions. I hope that with this buy plus a rebuy of Wild Turkey Rare Breed in the future to determine wether I like Bourbon at all or if I am simply more a scotch dude.
This will be served with ice, as old-fashioned something and pure on new-years probably.

Thank you for your input in this matter.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Well I mean I am just not going to embark on a several hundred buck adventure if I don't know if I will enjoy it.
As you can see it's very hard to get something under what equivalents to 33$ (nominal rate, even). The best I can do is to give the Rare Breed a fair retrial without a peat bomb next to it and get some good bourbon representative of the price-range I am going to drink most of the time, which is up to around 30€ and I would be really, really happy to find a likeable Bourbon that costs more around 25 or less.
I mean I can get a Bowmore 12 for 25€, Caol Ila and Laphroaig Quarter Cask for 29€ and I am not ashamed to say I enjoy it. At the same time it's not all Islay, I can drink Highland Park, hell Glenmorangie even. poo poo I take a Glenfiddich straight if offered I am in no way after some kind of highbrow stuff. The most expensive Scotch I drank was around 60€ or so but when I buy a bottle I'll most likely buy in the price range of around 25-30. So for the price range, I want to try a bottle of bourbon and see what it brings to the table.
That's why I ask. What do you enjoy about Bourbon that makes it worth to acclimate your taste buds after a scotch?

I know that tasting Rare Breed against Caol Ila Cask Strength is not exactly fair so I'll definitly give it a go again at some point.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Does anyone know this:

I stopped smoking a couple of months ago and went to buy a bottle of Talisker 10. Drank a glas and.... ugggghghghg
I used to love this, but apparently not anymore.

What are some good whiskys like Caol Ila, Ardbeg or Bowmore, but without that much smoke and more balance : - (

I also got a bottle of Glenmorangie Lasanta 12y. What are you thoughts on it? I kinda liked it but at the same time the flavour of the sherry was maybe a bit too much for whiskey.
Will still probably get the Port Cask and Sauternes Cask versions because it was a good whisky all in all.

Which would you prefer to get next?
- Bruichladdich The Laddie Ten
- Glendronach 10
- Glengoyne 10 or 12
- Balvenie 12 double wood
- Aberlour 10
- One of the other Glenmorangie expression

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 26, 2013

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
I thought the bottle of Talisker tasted dusty/smoky but not in a good way, more in a rancid/old way. It didn't work.
Since it is not a bad whisky, I will probably feel the same way about the other peated wishkys I previously enjoyed. This is just a guess.
It could be I just don't like Talisker but would still love Caol Ila or the other ones I know like Bowmore, Ardbeg etc.
But I am hesitant to sink money into strong peated stuff even if I enjoyed it before. As it happens this kind of "taste change" happened in a lot of foods/smells after I stopped smoking. I find it more likely that I just taste more stuff and enjoy less intensity on the smoke front.

As far as balance goes, on the one hand I still think I'd enjoy some smoke in my drink, if it is balanced right and not to overwhelming. On the other hand the Glenmorangie Sherry stuff tastes like something I might like. I thought the sherry in this particular drink was a bit too much in the situation I was drinking it in (cold outside) and/or was just not balanced right but I can see me liking stuff like this.
So this gives me path 1: go explore the port and french sweet wine varieties.
But I could also go for another sherried whisky, maybe finding something I like more or something which is just better.
Or thirdly, take a step back and try a balanced whisky (like Highland Park?) which has something of everything.

The list I made was just a bit research into those directions, maybe you know other stuff. In the end I'd probably guess you'll say that out of my list, if you'd pick one whisky which is best, it would be XY.

And yes I did indeed mean Glendronach 12, and also you can change Aberlour 10 to the 12y Double Cask variety since it is only three bucks more here. I have also added your suggestion:

- Bruichladdich The Laddie Ten
- Glendronach 12
- Glengoyne 10 or 12
- Balvenie 12 double wood
- Aberlour 10 or Double Cask 12
- One of the other Glenmorangie expression
- Highland Park 12
- Glenfarcas 15

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 26, 2013

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Boner Slam -- I tasted the Glenmorangie Original, Lasanta, Quinta Ruban and Nectar D'or all in a single sitting. I've gone on to buy bottles of Quinta Ruban and Nectar D'or. Lasanta was too syrupy for me.
Okay then we are on the same page taste wise.

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Balvenie doublewood is good to try because it's a good scotch that's pretty widely available and it's worth knowing if you like it.

So priority of recs for you is
1. Other glenmorangies finished in interesting barrels
2. Balvenie Doublewood
3. Highland park/Edradour for more balanced/less smoky.

alright thanks gonna do this :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
I am so sorry, but what is the Whisky best for Old-Fashioned?