Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnoPuppy
Jun 15, 2005

muscat_gummy posted:

I asked for clarification and apparently he would actually prefer scotch. Or rye. Or bourbon. Guess I'll just have to take my pick. Apparently he likes scotch on the peatier side of things? I did read through this thread but thought the recommendations for scotch wouldn't apply, so I'll go do that again.
He mentioned liking Talisker and thinking that Glenmorangie was ok but not the best.

I'll second the Lagavulin 16 recommendation, it's good stuff. Laphroaig is also a good choice.

To move away from the peaty/smoky stuff, Balvenie 15 Single Barrel is also quite good. It's a bit sweet, but not overbearing (in my opinion), with flavors of butterscotch and vanilla. He might like it, despite not being a peaty scotch.

If you know what he normally drinks, you could just go to Specs and ask someone in the liquor area what they would recommend. The one I go to (arbor walk in austin) has a guy who is usually pretty knowledgeable and has good advice.

Or you could go completely off the wall and get him a good sipping tequila. Recently, I've been partial to Toro de Lidia extra Anjeo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnoPuppy
Jun 15, 2005
Has anyone tried Bruichladdich Octomore?

I prefer smoky/peaty whisky, like the various Lagavulin and Laphroaig offerings, so I picked up a bottle of Octomore 2.1 this past Christmas. I had intended to have it with some out of state friends for New Years, but ended up leaving it at my apartment (gave me an excuse to pick up a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail to share instead).

I've been holding on to it since then, waiting for an occasion that would be worthy. I just want to make sure that I'm not waiting in vain.

Any thoughts? Should I just go ahead and crack into it? Or keep saving it for a nebulous, TBD, special occasion?