Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

I thought Laphroaig was good, particularly the QC... until I started drinking Ardbeg.

Recommend me some Ardbeg, at a mid price (~$50) and higher end (~$80-100)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Zeno-25 posted:

Does anyone know what the story is on what happened to the Van Winkle company? I used to be able to get their 15yr and 10yr (107 proof) bourbon anytime I wanted from the nicer liquor store chain around here, now they haven't been able to get any of their products in decent quantity for the better part of a year and the prices for their stuff online have gone through the roof.

I wish I had picked up one of their bottles of rye while I had the chance. :( Now that I can't even get their 107 proof 10yr I have to find a new bottle of $30 go-to sipping bourbon. The bottle of Russel's Reserve I'm working on currently is good but it sure isn't like the same-priced Van Winkle...

No idea, but as kidsafe said it's probably super demand to limited supply.

I had to get on a secret list to get a call about some Van Winkle 10 year from my local store, they kept it in back and only brought it out if you asked for it by name. They sold out of all they had in an afternoon. A little silly to go through, I think.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

NightConqueror posted:

I'm a huge fan of the regular Laphroaig 10. Is the flavor significantly different at cask strength, or does it just have more burn to it? Sort of tossing up the idea of getting that or an Ardbeg to fill out my smoky Islay addiction.

If you like the 10, get the quarter cask. My cabinet has 10 yr, Quarter Cask, Triple Wood, and 18 yr (and the Ardbeg 10). It's interesting to see the differences between the line, but Quarter Cask is by far my favorite. It has a more intense flavor than the 10, with more of a rounded mature intensity to the same base flavors. The 18 is more mellow and muted, almost bring out more grain and honey notes in the peat party. I like the more warming bright flavors of the Quarter Cask.

Quarter compared to Ardbeg 10, still would favor the Quarter. The Ardbeg has more medicine notes to it, and comes across as more peat heavy to me; get the Ardbeg if you want to explore the style more.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

pork never goes bad posted:

Punt e Mes makes a quite nice Manhattan (or Manhattan variation, depending on what you think Punt e Mes is, I suppose)...

My favorite Amaro riff on the Manhattan is Ramazotti with something wheated. Crowd pleaser.

Voodoofly posted:

Thanks for the rye education. It looks like a couple places around me sell Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye, so I'll probably pick up a bottle in the next few days.

Where are you where that stuff just sits about? Completely serious.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
Flying to Canada for a quick business trip this week... what should I look for at the duty free?

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

crazyfish posted:

I'm getting a promotion/bonus/raise at work, and I want to buy a really special bourbon. I had a glass of the Pappy Van Winkle 20 year a couple weeks ago and it was shockingly good. I would happily go out and buy a bottle of it, but it apparently flies off the shelves here in Chicago. Short of one of the Van Winkles, does anyone have suggestions for a really great, preferably long-aged bourbon? The 20 year runs around $150, let's consider that a firm price point (though I'm always willing to spend less to get a better product :) )

Try using wine-searcher or a similar website to look for Pappy in your area. Decent wine stores usually carry other fine high end products, and sometimes use the web to move rare wine (and spirits).

I have the 15-year and the 20-year in my cabinet right now that I use as celebration pours, both were basically impossible to find in New Jersey and were lucked into. I actually prefer the 15 year, it's got more fruit and satisfying hotness to it.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Schpyder posted:

As far as I know, yes, they are. There certainly haven't been any announcements to the contrary from BT. That said, demand for bourbon and rye has skyrocketed in the last five years, and BT in particular has been caught off guard in regards to having a large stock of properly aged whiskeys ready to bottle, so it's highly likely that it's just going to be harder to find.

In my area, actively looking for it, I've only found it on the shelf twice in the last 2 years, with the price being $10 more expensive the second time. The higher end bottles are still getting produced in the Christmas bundles as well. So I'd agree with the supply demand theory; but how else are you going to make Sazeracs?

Until it dropped off the map, Sazerac was my favorite flask whiskey.

DoctaFun posted:

I need to pick up some vermouth so I can try to make myself some manhattans, do they sell that at most liquor stores?

You'll probably find the Martini and Rossi brand at most stores, it's solid. I like the more herbal Cinzano brand. There are several different types of vermouth, for Manhattans you want sweet Vermouth which might be labeled as "Sweet","Italian", or "Russo".

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

smn posted:

I find this kind of attitude really annoying. Every now and then I like to drink my whisky in a weird way, just for fun. Like with ice, as a highball, with birch sap, coke, sweet mead, whatever. How I drink my malt is nobody elses business.

Nothing wrong with informing the customer that the way they want it served is generally considered wasting the drink. Or if principles really get in the way, selling them in separate glasses and leaving the destruction to the customer. But flat out refusing... no.

Oh and the laga-kahlua thingy sounds fun!

I think the whole "educate the consumer" thing is in play, peaking with pretentious speakeasy bars*. Customers are better informed about whiskey, and more willing to try new spirits than even a half dozen years ago when that education was needed. A bartender can talk with me about whiskey, not at me.

Making it into a light-hearted "Single malt and coke? Should I try that, I always drink it straight to get the nuances of smoke/fruit/whatever" is different then "Wow, you're clueless- no drinks for you". Though refusing to mix some wacky $250 limited edition bottle with coke with probably for the best.

*There are plenty of good ones though! I like 'em

**Last night I polished off a bottle of Glenmorangie Finealta Private Edition, drank neat. The smoke/citrus/spice was a nice mix.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
I drink my whiskey and cokes at like at 2:1 whisky to coke ratio, don't know what you guys are doing.

Had a Chivas and Antica Formula Rob Roy tonight. Good, but the cinnamon of the Antica drown out the smokey notes of the scotch. I've had a Chivas and Martin & Rossi sweet vermoth rob roy, it was better because all the scotch notes still shone through.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Turkeybone posted:

Just came in to say that I love black maple hill, and wish that I could get it here in upstate NY.

I know I've seen it in NYC, and I can get it in Jersey fairly easy. Is upstate really that bleak?

Also drinking quartercask out of a flask is an experiment in manliness.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Paramemetic posted:

Gave the Dickel another try just now. It's been relegated to Old Fashioned duty.

That said, it makes a pretty solid Old Fashioned.

The corn sweetness also goes nice in a Lynchberg lemonade. I like making a tart lemonade myself, or using the Simply Lemonade brand store-bought juice.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Mayor Dave posted:

Can anyone recommend a good american rye? The only rye I've tried was ... not very good.

Rittenhouse Rye, don't pay too much for it. (I see it $18-$30/bottle)

Sazerac Rye is worth a splurge. (Around $25-$35)

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

kitten smoothie posted:

Ok, so when I was last at the Makers distillery I bought a bottle of "Makers White" (aka white dog) at the gift shop because I had more money than sense.

I now have had this bottle for six months taking up space in my liquor cabinet and I have no idea what to do with its contents. It wasn't great straight up but not awful either; almost smelled like tequila. I tried mixing it with vermouth just for kicks and my consensus was that I ruined some perfectly good vermouth.

Any good cocktail recipes that involve un-aged whiskey?

Maybe try going sweet with it to bring out the corn flavors, like a mojito type drink?

Or just do a regular makers mark side by side with the white dog for the novelty of it.

Never tried working with the stuff myself, because in my head it's basically corn vodka right?

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

GramCracker posted:

I've heavily debated buying that (granted I could somehow get my hands on a bottle) simply for the awesome bottle I'd have. Oh, and the delicious liquid inside. But mostly for the bad rear end bottle.

I'm sure you can find a bottle just as cool for $30 somewhere.

I bought Pappy 23 year one time because "that is just what you do if you're a bourbon snob", most expensive single bottle I ever bought. I also bought some of the Arctic Explorer Scotch, that comes in as a close second. Neither has been opened yet.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

AWWNAW posted:

Recommend me a scotch for someone who likes Laphroaig, I want to start tasting some strange.

I know you said scotch, but if you want "strange" as in different you could give McCarthy's Oregon Peated Single Malt a try. I had it at a tasting of US craft whiskey and it was pretty peated with bourbon inspired sweet notes to it.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Aramoro posted:

Laphroaig certainly is a high risk first Scotch and I would say not representative of most Whisky. I actually find Laphroaig too medicinal for me really. If you like the general feel of Laphroaig but find it's a bit strong then I can certainly recommend some other ones.

It's kinda like recomending a big bitter craft beer IPA. It shows you an extreme of one style, but even if you don't like it hopefully your realize there is more flavor to beer than bud light.

Got a bottle of Redemption Rye and Redemption High Rye Bourbon because both were on a good sale. I like the play of the sweeter Bourbon mixed with Rye much better neat, and it made a mean Manhattan.

Who makes Redemption? The internet says most likely the Bulliet people in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky. Which is wierd, because I found Bulliet's Rye to be unpleasantly dry and spicy.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

The Entire Universe posted:

is Sazerac Rye a really limited quantity, or am I just artificially limited up here in Omaha? There were 3 bottles in the store last month when I bought the one I just finished. It makes me sad because I liked it :(

Limited in most places, it was impossible to get for awhile in Jersey but now it's generally around if you look for it (though the price is up $5 in most places).

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So far I've tried Evan Williams green, black, and the Wild Turkey 101. I'm planning on trying the Evan Williams single-barrel, and also a small bottle of Woodford Reserve. Is there anything else I should try if I really like the sweet side of bouron?

Dickel's on the low end, Blaton's on the higher end.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

NightConqueror posted:

Any idea when we'll be seeing Buffalo Trace's Antique Collection again? I really want to get a bottle of George T. Stagg sometime, but it's basically impossible to find.

EDIT: I'm a retard, I guess it was released in September. Guess I just need to look harder.

Doesn't the Antique collection usually not hit stores until the holidays time frame?

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
I owe a friend a bottle, and he's on a kick of trying to recreate Irish Coffees he had in Italy. He's using a double shot of espresso plus whiskey.

Normally I'd go with Jameson for the sweetness, but I was thinking of going with Redbreast 12 as I'm trying to get him into better whiskey. I'm not a fan of Irish Coffee, so I don't know if that's a poor idea.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
Is there a good beer-advocate type review site for whiskey?

Bunk Rogers posted:

Van Winkle is nice but I'm not sure its worth getting looked at like I'm an rear end in a top hat when I ask to be put on the wait list after April. I also felt guilty drinking the stuff since its so hard to come by.

I had a bottle shop claim to stop carrying Van Winkle because he couldn't deal with the constant harping of customers, and the inevitable disappointment when most of them wouldn't get any and bitch him out because they were "regulars".

Jahoodie fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 17, 2012

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
I've seen the regular Buffalo Trace options on the shelf for $30-32.... not worth it at all at that price, as you can get more interesting stuff around there.

Any recommendations on sub-$40 bourbons? Haven't seen anything new and interesting for awhile when casually browsing (NJ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Terminal Entropy posted:

Old Grand Dad bonded is suppose to be pretty good.

It is, that's my cheap whiskey right now. It makes a good cocktail, but I think it's too strong on the edges to pour as a quick nip.

kidsafe posted:

Nothing new is terribly interesting to me.

* Four Roses Single Barrel is still my go-to and it's $40 exactly here in California.
* Basil Hayden's is still a great introductory bourbon to keep around for non-bourbon drinkers you may be hosting.
* For mixing, I pretty much stick to Bulleit.

Actually, I might want to get Four Roses Single Barrel next. That was a good 'quick nip' pour.

wormil posted:

New and interesting? Nah. Everything new around here has been $45+ and after a few bombs I don't bother unless I get a solid recommendation.

I'll throw this out there just in case you haven't tried it --- Fighting Cock is arguably the best value under $20. The only other contenders are EW1783, and AAA. IMO, now that OGD100 has moved beyond $20, FC is the best bourbon under $20.

Fighting cock might be on the list, I don't think I've ever tried that. Is AAA Ancient Age ? I don't think NJ gets it, I've been keeping my eye out for awhile at places that move alot of the other Buffalo Trace stuff.