Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just gave my 2.5 year old son a sniff of ew black, and he says it's "too hot, too spicy" and doesn't want to smell it again.

Success, I think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Spicy is the usual description, yeah, though it's not spicy in the cooking sense, not really.

Rittenhouse bottled in bond is great.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tried a glass of Woodford Reserve Rye last night. Not bad, definitely not as rye-y as Rittenhouse or the like, but very drinkable for all that. Anyone have thoughts on it?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Budgie posted:

Well, I'm not much of a fan of peaty whisky but this is a bit OTT to say the least. I can totally understand if it's the first smoky peaty whisky you've ever had though.

Maybe it was meant as a compliment? :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

This is in response to your work, right? :v:

Very tasty lookin, those.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Got to a tasting at my dad's synagogue men's club and it was pretty rad.

Here's my extremely sparse notes because I'm not really a scotch drinker, more into rye and bourbon.

Compass Box, Great King St. Blend Not at all peat, light, somewhat unremarkable. I couldn't get anything off the nose, not much of an anything, really. I'm sure it's fine for its price. This was just a "drink this while waiting for the event to start", not part of the tasting itself.

Glen Grand 10 Apple nose, very clean taste and easy to drink, with a fruity finish. Not bad.

Glen Moray 12 Weirdly, couldn't get anything from the nose. Bit of a creamy taste, with a smooth, very slow finish. I liked it.

Signatory Mortlach 2008 Now we're talking. This is where things picked up for me. Slightly spicy nose, sugary start and then nutty as I tasted it, with an extremely heavy and rich finish. Excellent.

Ardbeg An Oa Only scotch I had had anything from the distillery before. I can only describe the nose as Ardbeg, I love it, the bottle I killed a while ago was one of my favorites. Salty taste as expected, smoky and heavy finish.

Taylor & Taylor Whiskey Co. & Gordon & MacPhail Single Cask of Highland Park 22yr Yeah so this was put on by Taylor & Taylor. They managed to finagle a cask of 22 year old whisky from Highland Park, without tasting it first. I've never had anything like this. Fruity and delicate nose, fruity, nutty, oily taste with a hot finish. Adding a drop of water made the whole thing sweeter without changing the taste much.

Overall, the ardbeg was my favorite, but getting to try that last one was awesome.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Huh I find it strange that they would have a peat monster like ardbeg just before a much more delicate expression of Highland Park.

Eh, it was a presentation too, with history and anecdotes and all that, so there was enough time between each glass.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I actually just learned that last fact at the tasting I posted about. Pretty funny.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I gotta finish this bottle of templeton rye so I can buy some sazerac or some other kind of rye. I want all the rye.

(yes I already have a bottle of rittenhouse bib but I don't want to buy new bottles without finishing old ones, given the rate I go through em)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Looks like 1:1:1/2 with the half being whiskey?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Rittenhouse bottled in bond.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Isn't Templeton just the usual mgp stuff?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

TobinHatesYou posted:

The usual MGP stuff is good.

Well yeah! But then it doesn't matter much which one you get. It's tasty!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I think there was one but it died from disuse. I'd probably put it in the cocktail thread rather than the whiskey thread if I had to choose?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Knew the answer without looking.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gave my dad a bottle of ogd for Father's day because it's tasty and I was feeling ironic. (He's got six grandkids now!)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Nice piece of fish posted:

You know, you got some excellent goddamned posts.

Thanks for quoting it with this because I kinda blipped over the post and now that I read it, yes you are correct.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That is frankly an incredible post, showing way more than even a tour tends to! Really awesome, thanks for putting in the effort. Also can I try some. :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

God damnit why am I seeing his tweets in so many loving threads.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

EW single barrel cork broke, so I had to try to work it out with a knife and then strain it to get rid of the larger bits. Then I canted it into the only empty bottle I had, highland park, I should probably drink it quickly before I forget and get very confused when I'm wanting a scotch.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Enigma posted:

Wild Turkey 101

Yeah if you can find it for that price, this is an amazing whiskey both alone and mixing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I got the same rye for myself but haven't had a chance to crack it open yet.

Excited though!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

So I tried my new Pikesville Rye.

Very good, but very strong, it's 110 proof. Added a splash of water and that mellowed it a bit but I'm not sure if I can say I like it any better than the cheaper rittenhouse bonded rye.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Holy crap that was really really cool.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Whiskey tasting! It was scotch last year, and american this year.

Starting taste: Evan Williams Single Barrel I've had this before, had half a bottle even, nothing new to note. Perfectly pleasant.

Michter's Rye Sweet on the tongue, could definitely taste that rye on the front of my tongue, and then a loooong finish. Honestly think it was quite good.

Willet Pot Still Bourbon Very sweet nose, kind of neutral on the tongue, finish was quite fast and a bit of a burn. Eh. It was fine, but nothing important.

Blanton's Deep nose, lingering taste, with a slow finish. I mean I haven't had it before but I knew roughly what to expect, very good.

Pikesville Rye Gahaha I just picked up a bottle of this last month, so not a whole lot new to say here either, very high proof, I like it but not as much as rittenhouse because really what rye is as good as rittenhouse.

Then a couple on the stranger side.

Westland American Oak Billed as single malt but young and not-from-Scotland, I wrote that it had a quick nose, strong characteristic single malty taste, hot on the tongue, and a hot, long finish. Quite good.

Westland Peated From the same guy, Matt Hofmann, who apparently has won all sorts of awards, mild nose, very smooth like really really smooth, and I could only taste the peat on the finish. Would happily drink again.

So, long story short: I think I'll look into the Michter's some more, and the Westland stuff was super interesting! The presenter was asking the host whether he could arrange Japanese whisky next year...

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Rittenhouse BiB is my favorite rye, yeah.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hot take, people who insist peat is the best measure of whisky are like people who insist hoppiness is the best measure of beer.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

DoctaFun posted:

I bought an LL/G bottle of rare breed awhile back and am just now getting to open it.

Holy. Crap. This is a drat delicious bourbon. I know WT gets a good rep here and on reddit, but this just absolutely blows just about any BT product I’ve had out of the water.

I think the somewhat confirmed rumor is that rare breed with an LL/G laser code in the back have older stock(up to 15 years old) in them as they had to use up some younger barrels to meet demand for their Longbranch product.

Apparently the WT101 LL/G also has been great.

I’ve been doing more beer drinking since it got hot out, but the rare breed has sucked me back in to bourbon.

Okay I'm trying to figure it out and I cannot. What the gently caress is LL/G?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gravitee posted:

Most of the secondary bourbon groups got shut down on Facebook last week. It'll be interesting to see how that affects retail pricing, if at all.

Huh. Any official comment or article about it you can share?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

:smith: good luck

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

No need to apologise, imo.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

I find Glenlivet 12 to be too anodyne to bother with. What can you tell me about the other ages?

Read this as androgyne and was really loving confused

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Odd Mutant posted:

Laphroaig 10 is what I imagine the rum ham
tasted like after Danny Devito fished it out of the ocean

Is that good or bad

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Costco had Laphroaig 12 Cask Strength IB bottles for $50 a week or so before Christmas. Tastes like a salty hock of meat over a big open wood fire.

Is That Good Or Bad

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ITGOB okay I'll go with this as the acronym. :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah that's a really good list.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Quiet Feet posted:

Or candlestick makers! :argh:

This is a weird version of that song from wakkos wish

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

poo poo. I'm going to a whisky tasting tomorrow and I still have this lingering cough I've had for two weeks.

Any suggestions as to how to enjoy myself without hating everything in existence?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

SpookyLizard posted:

fire up with some actove decongestant (like vicks nasal spray) before and clean out your sinuses the best you can. good luck.

Such stuff doesn't react to alcohol? I know DayQuil is a no...

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Okay so that whisky/e tasting was today, my cough somehow didn't bother me until afterwards. Tastes were in pairs for mostly good reasons.

Glendronach 15 revival was good but I think I just like scotches more peaty.

Old Forester 1897 bib was great, I love bottled in bond, very caramel and smooth.

Makers Mark 46 was fine but unremarkable like I find most Maker's Mark I guess.

Compass box spice tree was good, especially the nose. These two were oak stave/head linked.

Glenmorangie signet was not my thing at all, I dunno what was up with it, just tasted meh.

Mad River rye was super cool, my favorite of the night, didn't really taste spicy but these were linked by chocolate malted, so that's understandable. Not mgp rye. Completely new taste to me.